Training Vale Salim Malik

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hate reading posts like these. Horrible losses are just that - totally bloody horrible... and this one definitely counts.

Never afraid to speak his mind, and I found I never minded too much to listen to what he had to say. Always interesting, always passionate, always looked forward to his training reports, despite the disagreements that sometimes came in their wake.

Strange that I can often feel so connected to people I never meet, but can recognise solely through their tone of voice, their passion, and a largely-unrelated small square photo they chose of something else entirely.

Please take care of yourselves and each other people... any of us can go the same way at any time. The Bigfooty boards can be a bloody dysfunctional family of convenience at times, ...but that doesn't make those familial ties any less real for some of us, or any less painful when they break.

Hail and farewell Salim - thank you for sharing your worldview and your passion with us - you will be missed. Will be sure to raise a quiet frothy one in your memory sometime later tonight.

Hi all, family member of Salim jumping in from the other lot. Thanks a lot for your kind memories and reflections, we appreciate it. Richard loved all you guys and catching up at training and elsewhere. He had a funny personality when he went to the footy. He had supporter white line fever, so while he was a lovely gent of a guy, if he got the wrong person making comments in the row behind him, he'd arc up and get in a huff and call them a dickhead. He loved Freo, he was in one of the first classes at John Curtin, he used to drive a truck down the docks in the 60s, he played underage for South until he broke his arm taking a speccy, then that was the end of his career. And he used to love frequenting the hipster beer bars and bakeries down South Tce. Thanks again for the kind words, we're raising a few glasses in his honour.

RIP Salim. I didn't know him personally but he was a great contributor to this board.

Condolences to his friends and family.

Last edited:
Logged in for the first time in ages and see this thread at the top. 😔

So may discussions over the years with Salim about Freo. Mostly we agreed but a few disagreements, I think mainly on if Tabs is going to make it!

Loved his passion for Freo and sad that he won't get to see them back up the top over the next few years. His training reports back in the day brought joy to all of us that couldn't make it down on the day.

Condolences to his family. This place won't be the same without him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mods delete if not appropriate but a friend posted this lovely photo of Richard on FB & I thought it might be nice for those who never met him to put a face to the poster.

View attachment 1562954
It IS a lovely pic, thanks for sharing it E-Shed.

He actually looks an awful lot like a Michael Douglas (ala: Sandy Kominski) in that shot... which is wonderful, because now I have a voice to go with the posts! And if you've ever read one of Salim's grumpier posts (as well as seen The Kominski Method on Netflix), you'd realize Sandy's voice is an oddly ideal fit. 😂😂

Does anyone know the origins of his Big Footy name?

According to Richard, his son created the account and then gave it to him. At least that is my recollection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back