Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
I cannot believe the news....

Shane Warne dead at 52 unbelievable.

Reports are Warnie died of a heart attack while holidaying in Thailand.

Controversial at times but without doubt the best bowler I have seen. 708 Test wickets, ICC Hall of Famer and one of Wisden's five Cricketers of the Century. To have your name up there with Bradman, Hobbs, Sobers and Richards says more than bit about your ability. The words 'great' and 'legend' are over used in the sporting world but in Shane Warne's case he was a legend.

Vale Shane Warne.

Last edited:
WTF.....another great gone... RIP Shane. Bowled one of best dismissals I have ever seen when he sent Mike Gatting back to the club rooms.

RIP Shane Warne. Condolences to the family. He made spin bowling bowling enjoyable to watch.

RIP Shane Keith Warne.

Shocked. Speechless. Saddened, was how I felt after I turned on the TV at about 7.45am this morning.

They say tragedies come in threes. Rod Marsh, Dean Woods and Shane Warne all greats, all gone within 48 hours.

:'(

It is always a privilege to watch one of the game's greatest exponents work his craft. A larger than life figure who lived much of his life in the public eye. It is still incomprehensible to me.

I heard an interview with Justin Langer on the ABC and he related the times when he and Warnie, while at the Cricket Academy in Adelaide, would rock up to the Alberton Hotel and Warnie, then a complete unknown, would sit on the pool table trying to spin the balls into the pockets. I knew Langer played district cricket for Port but did not realise that Warnie also had an Alberton connection. I doubt that young Peter Brien would have realised what a future cricketing great that chubby kid with the f** hanging out his mouth would become.

I heard an interview with Justin Langer on the ABC and he related the times when he and Warnie, while at the Cricket Academy in Adelaide, would rock up to the Alberton Hotel and Warnie, then a complete unknown, would sit on the pool table trying to spin the balls into the pockets. I knew Langer played district cricket for Port but did not realise that Warnie also had an Alberton connection. I doubt that young Peter Brien would have realised what a future cricketing great that chubby kid with the f** hanging out his mouth would become.
He's written about the Alberton Hotel in his biography and that he actually lived there for awhile along with many of the other academy players and Greg Blewett would pick them up and drive them to AO and around town.

GLORY YEARS

By the time Peter Jr took over as full licensee from his father in 1987, an era when the Port Adelaide Football Club won nine SANFL premierships in 12 seasons (1988 to 1999). With Alberton Oval just 700m down the road, he said it was "one heck of a time" for the club, the hotel and the region.

"There had always been a wide cross section of people that drank in the pub, 'wharfies’, Holden workers, accountants, footballers, cricketers; Port Adelaide was a very lively centre back in those days,” he said.

“When Port played at home it used to be a massive day so we would see plenty of different people come through.

“In the early ‘90s we had the National Cricket Academy stay at the pub and we had a young Shane Warne and Justin Langer with their 10 cricket mates board upstairs. They were a bit of a handful but good blokes.

With the famous “prison bar” guernsey donning the walls and a splash of teal complementing the white and black façade, the Alberton Hotel is a classic Port Adelaide hotel. However, Peter Jr said they also pride themselves on their Asian dishes, as well as their traditional schnitzels, beers and burgers.

RIP Shane Warne.

Growing up, Warnie was on my shortlist of elite sportsmen who made me fall in love with their respective sports. Kobe Bryant was undoubtedly #1 on my list, Warnie was probably #2. He certainly made me fall in love with the game of cricket. I was quite conscious about my weight growing up - even as early as reception in primary school. Whilst I wasn't significantly overweight, I was consistently chubby especially compared to my cousins of a similar age, who were much more athletic and fit than I could ever imagine of being. So when I saw a blonde haired (like mine), overweight man absolutely dominating on the sporting field, I immediately had someone to gravitate toward - an idol of sorts.

I bowled leg spin as a five year old trying to emulate Warnie all the way through I was 17 (when I quit playing to focus on uni studies). I also did a coaching clinic with the late Terry Jenner and multiple clinics with Peter McIntyre on perfecting the art of leg spin. Even to this day, Warnie would still captivate me as a commentator. He had a unique way of connecting to the every day novice but still keeping the utmost of tactical-minded fans aware of his thoughts on the match at hand. And when all else failed he made me laugh watching him and Kerry O'Keefe bounce off each other in the commentary box.

In saying that, the way I found out about Warnie's passing is somewhat bitter sweet. My son was born last night a little after 1030pm - as I got my phone out to start texting a few photos to the grandparents, my phone blew up in a messenger group chat of his passing. An extreme juxtaposition of events that makes it certainly difficult for me to focus any emotion on the loss of one of my childhood icons.

Just going back this morning and watching Warnie's top 50 wickets on fox sports - my goodness he could spin a ball like no other. He made headlines for being larger than life on the field, but he was able to back that up with his performance. I will never forget flying to Melbourne on Boxing Day in 2006 and seeing him bowl Strauss for wicket #700. The only time I can compare hearing a crowd that loud at the G was when Starc bowled McCullum in the 1st over of New Zealand's innings in the 2015 ODI World Cup Final.

If there's one thing I'm certain of - Shane Warne had such an amazing life that he should not solely be mourned for his loss, but rather celebrated for a life truly well lived.

Here's to you, Hollywood.

Last edited:
How many Aussies' death gets recorded in the NY Times, let along someone who played some obscure sport by US standards??

Shows how big Warne's impact was.

Last edited:
I knew Warne's mum had a cleaning business and she cleaned Bob and Hazel Hawke's home in Sandinghram, but I never knew he and his brother used to help mum.

In the Shane Warne in Conversation with Tracey Holmes, tonight on ABC News, from The Chappell Foundation function in 2019, he talked about how he and his brother would help mum clean up all of Bob's empty beer stubbies and bottles of wine.

Couldnt get a nicer link between Oz's most larkin PM and arguably Oz's greatest modern PM, and Oz's most larkin sportsman and arguably Oz's greatest modern sportsman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From Bharat's article titled Off he goes, doing a Shane Warne;

He came, he saw, he bamboozled. From start to finish. And right at the end, he did a Shane Warne. He bowled us round our legs. And all we could do was like Mike Gatting stand in shock and awe with our mouths agape.

Last edited:
Listening to radio this morning and there was a phone linkup with the owner of the Alberton Hotel.
Apparently his cricketing associations provided the opportunity to billet up and coming cricketers there. It was while billeted here that S K Warne picked up his pool skills and prolific ciggie habit in a big way.
Retrospectively, as if that wasn't a possibilty.

Anyway, Warnie got sent home from a NT cricket competition early for some unspecified misdimeanour. Three days on a bus to get back to the Alberton Hotel.

In light of his potential failure as a cricketer, and his willingness to entertain footy as a backup given his St Kilda footy background, the Alberton Hotel owner spoke to Bob Clayton at PAFC. He arranged for Clayton to speak with Warnie.
Upshot: If his cricketing career failed, Warnie vowed his first footy choice was to return to PAFC as a player.

Thinking today about growing up in the 90s, so many young kids were wanting to be leggies, in backyard or street or driveway cricket nobody was balling pace. One of my mates was decent at leg spin as a teenager playing seniors.

He had good fingers, he was a strong finger picker on guitar too.

But anyway, the cultural impact Warne had was just enormous.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back