News Vale Shane Warne - Passed away at 52 from suspected heart attack in Koh Samui

Remove this Banner Ad

I can only echo everyone else's sentiments here.

Except to say that he wasn't just the best leg spinner or even the best bowler I've ever seen. He's the best cricketer I've ever seen and right up there as one of the greatest sportsmen/women.

In that he achieved true mastery of his art. And his art just happened to be the wizardry of legspin bowling. Possible the most beguiling, mysterious and unfathomable skill in sport.

Watching Warney bowl was like watching a leopard stalking its prey. Methodical, utterly lethal and in complete control of his faculties.

What the hell else is there to say, really? He gave so many people joy and that's about the biggest compliment you can give anyone.

Legend.

Was lucky to see the majority of his career in my formative years. Watching him was the most ive ever enjoyed watching a sportsmen. Day after day, and over after over in a test match, every single time Warne stepped up to bowl you'd get excited. Every ball had you glued to the screen. Genius player.

Channel 9 tribute to SKW tonight. Two interesting comments:

1. Ian Healy - at elite sport level the difference is not so much talent but mental approach.

2. SKW quoted (in Amazon Prime doc) - "on the field I could intimidate opponents".

Total respect to Warnie, but take note Pies.

Shocking news.Devastating news.I still can’t get my head around the idea that he’s gone at the age of 52.😒
RIP Warnie,

I suffered a major heart attack at the same age. So lucky I wasn't alone.

This is crap news; he was too fn young. :(

Best cricketer I've ever seen, often carried the nation. Was true to himself.

Lived more in 52 years than most of us ever will.

What a guy.
The epitome of the great Australian sportsman.
A smoker, a drinker, a gambler. Yet the best ever at his craft. ( for those who dispute please look at the stats)
And let’s face it, you can take the boy out of StKilda, (played U19’s for SFC) but you can’t take StKilda out of the boy!
In the end, Warne simply couldn’t stand another cricket legend taking all the weekend headlines, so undercut the great Rodney Marsh.
Vale “Wayne Shaun”. His like will never be seen again because his type can never be in the elite of sporting codes these days.

Last edited:
Best player I’ve seen. Went to England for the Ashes in 2005, even though he was obviously getting targeted by everyone in the UK he still bowled brilliantly. Many poms I spoke to would say that they loved watching him play just not against them.
Was there at the “g” for number 700.

I recently have struggled to deal with him as a commentator, could not stand him and I’d switch channels when he was on. Was blocked on Twitter for mentioning that he just kept going on and on about the same things. Had the same type of feelings for Bucks, loved him as a player but not as coach.

Regardless of my personal feelings for him he was the greatest spin bowler ever and when he was bowling it was pure magic.

RIP
Shane Warne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still in shock from this morning. Staggering to think l was just watching him commentate on the T20's on Fox cricket just a couple of weeks ago, to Warnie now passing away. Life is so unpredictable and short. Enjoy every day, and particularly with the ones you love.
A great Victorian and a legend....RIP

I was never much of a cricket fan, but I appreciate that Warne was masterful in his craft and that he transcended cricket itself.

I always liked and admired that the man seemed to write and live by his own script.

And he tormented the English, for which I am eternally grateful.

1. Ian Healy - at elite sport level the difference is not so much talent but mental approach.

Warney definitely had a mental edge, but he was a strange one for Healy to say that about, because there has only been one leggie who can turn it that far and consistently land it in the history of the game.

Warney definitely had a mental edge, but he was a strange one for Healy to say that about, because there has only been one leggie who can turn it that far and consistently land it in the history of the game.
Maybe Healy meant he had both talent and a tough mental approach

True 42 - he seemed from the outside to be full throttle on and off the field but had no self censorship button.

My biggest on field disappointment with Shane was when he holed out on 96 :'(
But that was him, he wanted to tonne you with a 6! Absolute champion, and when the media was against him it galvanised him further.

2. SKW quoted (in Amazon Prime doc) - "on the field I could intimidate opponents".

Total respect to Warnie, but take note Pies.
I think I know what Healy was saying, it was both talent and his mental approach, one without the other does not make a Shane Warne.

He was a freak, not only what he could do but the way he went about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back