News Vale Tom Garland

Remove this Banner Ad

My memory of Tom Garland is of a barrel chested, not overly tall chf who seldom encroached deep into the forward line, but kept it open to give Rex Johns room to lead into, and for the resting ruckmen, eg Lloyd Zucker, Ted Whelan or (Bob?) Marrett to drop in behind and contest marks in the goal square.
From memory he wore guernsey 18, and had the nickname `Judy' Garland after the famous singer.

RIP Tom Garland.

Rest in Peace Tom. Another champ off to the big oval way beyond!

Some info about Tom Garland further to 54's insightful description above.

From Australian Football.com

1627290474513.png

Tom Garland commenced his league career with West Torrens in 1945, but managed just one senior game before transferring to Woodville in the amateur league. He spent the next half dozen seasons playing amateur football, helping Woodville to the 1946 A1 premiership, and regularly representing South Australia. In 1952 he was recruited by Port Adelaide, where he became the prototype for the strong, mobile ruckman-centre half forward type of player, much favoured by coach Fos Williams, who arguably came closest to full fruition in the person of his successor in the role, Ian Hannaford. Nevertheless, Garland, who played 136 games and kicked 86 goals for Port between 1952 and 1958 was no mean performer himself. He topped the Magpies' goal kicking list in 1954 with 44 goals, and was a member of premiership teams in 1955-6-7-8. Most of Garland's time was spent in the key forward position but his occasional forays into the ruck often met with spectacular, and on occasion match-winning, success.
Author - John Devaney
Sources
Full Points Footy Publications

Thanks for that info. My father played with Tom Garland at Woodville and I remember him telling me that Tommy had started at West Torrens. I remember my father also telling me that Woodville side was coached by Horrie Blight who was Malcolm Blight's uncle.

Further to 1954's post my father told the story that one day at Alberton Foster named Tom Garland Port's best player despite Tom only getting a hand full of kicks. When asked why Fos replied, Garland did exactly what I told him to do, he lead Cannon and Faehse under the ball and we kicked to Rex Johns who kicked 6 goals.

It is interesting how many of us have personal stories about the Maggie days. The days when it seemed guys were more local and in touch with those who barracked for them, or even played with them such as your story about your dad.

Thanks for sharing with us, raptalia.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back