Movie Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Remove this Banner Ad

Cara Delevigne? I'm out.

Tbf I want to like her, but Enchantress was just so...hammy.

Apparently Valerian is easily the best performance of her career. For her that's not saying much based on reputation, but she's supposed to be bearable in this which is not bad considering that the dialogue is unfortunately awful in this. Early reviews are saying it's okay, not Transformers bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The trailer is better than the movie. Opening montage of now to the far future was good. CGI tropical planet with aliens was good, them getting blown up was good. The movie peaks in these first 14 minutes. Then we meet our title character Valerian and his colleague/love interest Laureline and it's a bit disappointing. They have a comedic 'he's interested, she's not!' thing but it's not that funny. But then there's a long bit where they're doing an espionage mission fighting through dimensions which was pretty cool. It made me think there was a multiverse but I don't think they explicitly said that.

Anyway to say more would probably just recount the whole movie. But Cara Delevinge probably shouldn't have been in it. She's really only in it because she looks like a model. Is a model. The first thing we see of her is her bikini-clad ass walking. Someone who acts better would've helped. Dane DeHaan also is a bit of an odd choice for the hero but got the job done. This is technically an indie movie so I guess he fit the acting budget they had allocated. There's various aliens, a ship that's a better version of the Millennium Falcon, and other Star Wars similarities (monsters under the sea!). Clive Owen looks old. The CGI and the space city is quite nice.

Even though the movie kind of annoyed me I would watch a sequel so I guess it's an okay movie. Don't think we'll see sequel though. Apparently this didn't make much money.

Last edited:
I enjoyed Valerian more than I did Force Awakens. *shrugs* Let's be honest the vast majority of kiddy sci fi flicks are derivative generic safe formulaic popcorn fluff anyway and Star Wars is not above that. Star Wars just relies on nostalgia and being the first (blockbuster) sci fi opera to milk money from the masses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back