PC Valheim (early access)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I usually avoid early access games but I couldn't get away from this one after my YouTube recommendations blew up with praise about this. Anyone else given it a go yet?

Another survival game but set inside Norse mythology. I've only put in a bit of time so far and so far enjoying it. A bit rough around the edges but it is early access after all.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
I usually avoid early access games but I couldn't get away from this one after my YouTube recommendations blew up with praise about this. Anyone else given it a go yet?

Another survival game but set inside Norse mythology. I've only put in a bit of time so far and so far enjoying it. A bit rough around the edges but it is early access after all.

Yep played about 20 hours so far. Absolutely love it, the art style is great, the crafting is immense and im really enjoying exploring the Absolutely ******* massive world. Highly recommend it to anyone who likes survival games

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep played about 20 hours so far. Absolutely love it, the art style is great, the crafting is immense and im really enjoying exploring the Absolutely ******* massive world. Highly recommend it to anyone who likes survival games

I've been asking around to a few buddies to give it a go because I want to rent a server.

Apr 10, 2011
south of the river
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham, 49ers & Scorchers
Gave it a go tonight with some friends - we've just been playing Raft so have the crafting bug. they'd already set up a house etc by time I joined.

Very enjoyable so far. Feel like I've barely scratched the surface. We just killed a big forrest troll. These shamans kept healing it.

I'm an absolute weapon at hitting dears with the spear.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I've just been aimlessly meandering around the Meadow still, just waiting for a few buddies I've been nagging to get it so I don't wander off and spoil too much. In the mean time I have been doing some general reading and I had no idea the depth of RPG combat elements. Can't wait to hit some dungeons.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Ended up buying it, just spent the time cutting down trees.

Is there anything I can craft that lets me level out ground to build on?

There is the terrain or teraforming tool or whatever it is called. Looks like a plough. Can be made pretty much at the start from the hammer build menu. It's really tricky to use though and I still don't quite understand how to get perfectly level ground. I've watched a few videos but I'm either really derp or there is a knack to it which I'm yet to work out.

Also to save yourself at least and hour or two like me and running around figuring out how to level up your work bench, then go find some water and grab flint from the shore line. My starting area wasn't that close to water so that took me a bit to work out. I'm probably going to looking at building a new house/camp along the water line anyway.

Also avoid going into the Black Forest too early. Lots of bad stuff in there lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does it look like it's easy to pick and put back down for the genre?

Got some unused Steam credit, but wary that a lot of online games these days have a fair bit of FOMO and need to grind to keep up with the majority of the player base.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Does it look like it's easy to pick and put back down for the genre?

Got some unused Steam credit, but wary that a lot of online games these days have a fair bit of FOMO and need to grind to keep up with the majority of the player base.

Not an MMO so no FOMO. It's a survival, more like Minecraft but with Vikings. You can play on your own private world or with others. I rented a server to see if any of the old Atraxia boys were keen and so far not much interest lol. Only one sounds keen. So it's just me being a Nigel at the moment.

If you're interested then let me know and I'll swing you the server details. You don't have to play online either of you just want to play on your own. The only thing I don't think respawns are dungeons so I've held off on those for now on the server until a few others join.

I promise I'll jump back on 76 too this weekend lol. Work has been stupid and I'm only getting about 2 hours a night in.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I cannot figure out how to finish the f***ing house I'm building, I've got the walls and roof but filling the triangle gaps at the front and back between the walls and roof is a c***.

I've seen some people use the cross pieces to make like a flat facade. I'm going to try it on my next house. All I've managed to is use the 45 degree roof right around with the corner pieces, and plonked the triangle shaped roof parts (whatever they're called) to close off the top. It doesn't look ideal but I figured I'd get better at it later and will probably have better stuff to build.

Getting the roof pieces can be a bit of a pain to aligned. They seem to snap better if you get the angles right first but I noticed a few times that they weren't aligning exactly right. At least you get all the components back when you destroy something. I guess these little things will be the teething issues while it's in early access.

Apr 10, 2011
south of the river
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham, 49ers & Scorchers
Beat the 2nd boss today (we're going about it pretty slowly). Some of the attacks were pretty cool.

We got 5 of us now dropping in and out. Went for a massive boat ride (finding nothing) and caught up in a massive storm which was hectic. Actually having a blast. Leviathans are pretty sick too.

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I just bought this today, but it crashes as soon as you do something in the game. Not sure if it's these POS Radeon drivers or an early-access quirk, but I'm considering getting my money back for now.

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
I just bought this today, but it crashes as soon as you do something in the game. Not sure if it's these POS Radeon drivers or an early-access quirk, but I'm considering getting my money back for now.

Definitely not the game mate , very very stable in my experience ( Intel / Nvidia ) try some different drivers. :thumbsu:

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Definitely not the game mate , very very stable in my experience ( Intel / Nvidia ) try some different drivers. :thumbsu:
I've got the latest ones, it may just be a case of ATI drivers being s**t in general. It was complaining about a particular DLL so I'll muck around with it when I'm home from work

Mar 30, 2008
The Phase Realm
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo , Coney Island Warriors.
I've got the latest ones, it may just be a case of ATI drivers being sh*t in general. It was complaining about a particular DLL so I'll muck around with it when I'm home from work

Also have you tried choosing the Vulkan RT option when booting the game up?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back