Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Just wondering if people value a good work environment more than increased wages ect

I think/know i get paid less than i would at other companies but they place i work is pretty relaxed and everyone is good to work with.

Do people place a high value on this enjoyment or not? do you want to enjoy your work or would you rather the 10-20% increase in wages?

Job enjoyment is very important. I could probably make more elsewhere but really enjoy the people I work with. So for me, yes, I do place a high importance on job enjoyment.

Yep, Its the guys out the back that make work what it is. I spend anywhere from 45 - 50 hours a week with these guys. If the guys were different, I don't think I would still be here

Working anywhere from 60-75 hours a week in finance.
Have often pondered your question and come to the conclusion that I'm in a job I can't afford to move on from for a while.
Making very good coin ($110k+) and it has it's good days but is very high pressure. I know 14 of my peers in the same role that have left in the last 12 months. ALL of them are on at least $30k less but have a lot less stress. Problem is, they've grown bored and restless.
I guess my job is holding me a financial prisoner currently but I'm determined to maintain as much balance in my life as possible.

Just wondering if people value a good work environment more than increased wages ect

I think/know i get paid less than i would at other companies but they place i work is pretty relaxed and everyone is good to work with.

Do people place a high value on this enjoyment or not? do you want to enjoy your work or would you rather the 10-20% increase in wages?

I'm with Macca. I've had jobs that've paid a lot more than my current one, however I never got the same level of job satisfaction as I do now. Wouldn't swap for anything

I don't think you can put a dollar value on long term continued stress, it impacts every aspect of your life from how long you live to ability to maintain relationships.

No job is perfect but if I ever found myself in a situation where I spent my Sunday's dreading the coming work week, I'd leave.

Dont underestimate how addictive good money can be

Its very hard to make the jump from a well paying job to a less paying job unless the stress has taken you to the absolute brink, where no money and no stress is a better alternative than what you have now

For the most part I think people on lower incomes say they like it because its stress free as a way of justifying not wanting to climb the ladder or being in a bigger role, while people in high paying high stress jobs are willing to make the trade off.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I work low hours on above average wage, but some of my tasks are stressful because while the job isnt particularly difficult a mistake can be extremely costly

I earn a bit less working for myself than I could working for someone else.

Wouldn't and couldn't work for anyone else now, though. I'm ruined for traditional employment.

I don't think you can put a dollar value on long term continued stress, it impacts every aspect of your life from how long you live to ability to maintain relationships.

No job is perfect but if I ever found myself in a situation where I spent my Sunday's dreading the coming work week, I'd leave.

I was like that in my last job in Victoria. I used to lie paraletic on the living room floor on Sunday nights at the thought of going back the next day. After a while I quit. Took a job in Queensland which I love. I miss Victoria a lot, especially the footy but nothing is worth going through that torment again.

So, to answer the question, job satisfaction is more important to me than money.

Thanks guys, liking the discussion and views shared.

I think i am in the happy to take it easy for less cash and less stress category.

It's an issue I am currently dealing with... in a job I loathe.. but get well paid for...

Potentially could go to a job I will enjoy a lot more (my old trade) but will be a large pay drop...

My circumstances play a part in a making it tough.. if I was single with no responsibility it would be a no brainer, but with a little fella and being the bread winner for the house it's a much harder decision

My favourite job was at a restaurant earning $12 an hour. I loved everything about it. The people I worked with/for, the customers and the hours. The worst thing was the shitty pay.
Right now I am getting a lot more cash in a job I like, but changes could be made. The main thing about this role is longevity. I couldn't stay at the restaurant because I couldn't survive, whereas now, I am much happier with life knowing I absolutely can pay the bills.
It certainly helps working with people/or an environment that are fantastic, but sometimes knowing you can pay the bills is more important.

Working anywhere from 60-75 hours a week in finance.
Have often pondered your question and come to the conclusion that I'm in a job I can't afford to move on from for a while.
Making very good coin ($110k+) and it has it's good days but is very high pressure. I know 14 of my peers in the same role that have left in the last 12 months. ALL of them are on at least $30k less but have a lot less stress. Problem is, they've grown bored and restless.
I guess my job is holding me a financial prisoner currently but I'm determined to maintain as much balance in my life as possible.

I used to be the same as you, now I'm on about 75k a year and choose my hours, get heaps more leave and overtime. All up I probably actually get paid more per hour than I did working in finance. Plus I actually have a life now. Nor do I have the moral problems associated with working for such a ****ed industry.

Quit while you can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back