Value in Delisted FA - 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Not wanting to be flamed here, but there's been a few 'high profile' delistings this year from different clubs. That is to say, players who have had a lot of value for the clubs that have delisted them that now find themselves on the outer. Examples of these are:

- Ben Kennedy, Melbourne
- Jack Trengove, Melbourne
- Jake Spencer, Melbourne
- Jono Freeman, Brisbane
- Ryan Harwood, Brisbane
- Michael Talia, Sydney
- Sam Collins, Fremantle
- Sam Gibson, North
- Troy Menzel, Adelaide

Considering that this is a weak draft with not much depth found in the latter rounds, do clubs find themselves more active in this space? Particularly considering Hawthorn and GWS found some value with Henderson and De Boer respectively.

For example, Troy Menzel could be a cheap option as a small forward for GWS if he's willing to move. Michael Talia would be great for a club like Saints who want to improve their depth of talls in defense. Trengove is a free hit for a club like Gold Coast that might need Midfield depth, Sam Gibson would provide experience in the same way that Barlow did (only more durable).

Carlton will be active in this space for sure, given the amount of deadwood we have to move.

What's Cam Pederson's status?

Spencer would be worth a crack for teams not flush on ruck stocks.

I also thought that Collins was good last year, but haven't seen him at all this year, dunno if it was due to injury or whatever.

Spencer would be worth a crack for teams not flush on ruck stocks.

I also thought that Collins was good last year, but haven't seen him at all this year, dunno if it was due to injury or whatever.

I'm still bitter that Freo took Collins from Box Hill. Loved him as a player.

Sam Gibson unlucky but probably not going to be picked up turning 32 next year.

Could see him having value as a depth player for a top 8 side. Extremely consistent and doesn't drop his bundle in finals.

If he doesn't get picked up it's a remarkable career. Debut at 26, 130 games in a row (including 8 finals) then de-listed.

Menzel and Ben Lennon (assuming he doesn't get picked up in a trade) could be options for North if we decide to cut the list back hard. Better giving a DFA a chance with a one year deal than giving two year contracts to pick 99.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menzel either has a poor attitude or his body lets him down. I watched him kill us once playing for Carlton, he is easily talented enough to succeed at AFL level.

Trengove is cooked.

I don't think Trengove is cooked, mainly because we haven't seen him enough to make that judgement. I'd like to see him have a year at senior level to evaluate where he is, because he was never going to get a consistent run at Melbourne no matter how well he played. Neither he nor Grimes were in their plans for the long term.

I don't think Trengove is cooked, mainly because we haven't seen him enough to make that judgement. I'd like to see him have a year at senior level to evaluate where he is, because he was never going to get a consistent run at Melbourne no matter how well he played. Neither he nor Grimes were in their plans for the long term.

He's played 7 games in the last 4 seasons.

He's played 7 games in the last 4 seasons.

Yes, but Melbourne were never going to give him a solid run to play consistently. They've obviously decided to proceed with younger and more favoured players, despite the fact that Trengove has consistently been more than solid at VFL level.

Yes, but Melbourne were never going to give him a solid run to play consistently. They've obviously decided to proceed with younger and more favoured players, despite the fact that Trengove has consistently been more than solid at VFL level.

Why not? A dozen players older than Trengove played for Melbourne this year.

Why not? A dozen players older than Trengove played for Melbourne this year.

Because they were playing those positions already and it was likely seen that Trengove couldn't. He had to compete with Jones, Petracca, Viney, Oliver and Lewis for the same positions. Jones and Lewis were the preferred experience, Viney, Oliver and Petracca were all younger. It was hardly a dozen too, it was around 6 or 8.

Nathan Jones is a co-captain, Cam Pedersen would not have played if they could avoid it but sickness to Hogan and Injury to Gawn forced their hand. Hibberd, Jetta, Lewis and Vince all played as they were either leaders or had no one younger in their position to take over.

Trengove this year and Grimes last year were left behind as they were reminiscent of a period of time that Melbourne would like to move past, Watts is going the same way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back