Value in Delisted FA - 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Very smart pickup by GWS. At worst he's handy depth.

Hmm. He's an ok defender who is a poor ruck IMO and i would have thought they needed a ruck much more than a kpd. Surprised they didn't sign a Clarke or Spencer TBH.

Hmm. He's an ok defender who is a poor ruck IMO and i would have thought they needed a ruck much more than a kpd. Surprised they didn't sign a Clarke or Spencer TBH.

They probably have enough rucks. Lobb looked a lot better when he was forced to ruck and Simpson is good.

Their defence went to shambles last year when they had a few injuries. This signing helps not have that happen.

No salt because I really liked him as a Magpie but Keeffe was so far off it in the VFL this year, he didn't even come close to playing seniors. And this was for a side with no key defensive depth. Very strange decision by GWS, they must see something still left in him.

I actually think It's tall forwards we lack depth. We nearly always play 3 talls up forward and with Lobb likely moving to ruck/follower next year we're thin. After Patton, Cameron and Himmelburg you have to scratch to find the next one.
Tall backs we have in abundance in Davis, Corr, Tomlinson, Haines,Tim Mohr and Matt Buntine (called medium but always takes one of 4 tall spots if he plays).

They probably have enough rucks. Lobb looked a lot better when he was forced to ruck and Simpson is good.

Their defence went to shambles last year when they had a few injuries. This signing helps not have that happen.
We played 5 tall backs against WC in Perth because it's what we had fit and ready to play AFL. . Your generally pretty accurate re our team but this is just wrong. Our defensewas the least affected zone with injuries and we were still winning most games at our most injury depleted.
Later when we got players back we didn't improve as you'd(or certainly I ) hope at the business end of the season.

Simpson is pretty average and has a really bad durability record. While he is a nice person i wouldn't be banking on him as my ruck cover. If Lobb does get injured i think they will find it difficult.

I actually think It's tall forwards we lack depth. We nearly always play 3 talls up forward and with Lobb likely moving to ruck/follower next year we're thin. After Patton, Cameron and Himmelburg you have to scratch to find the next one.
Tall backs we have in abundance in Davis, Corr, Tomlinson, Haines,Tim Mohr and Matt Buntine (called medium but always takes one of 4 tall spots if he plays).

I thought Cameron wanted a smaller forward line though? You could always draft Brander if you want to succession plan for key forwards.

I thought Cameron wanted a smaller forward line though? You could always draft Brander if you want to succession plan for key forwards.
I think you're confusing BF with Leon. Leon has always publicly said we choose to play three talls,and backed it up in selection.
I find the current fad on BF for small forwards amusing. I'm convinced the Tigers just made a virtue of necessity, and kudos to them.
Dawson Is not the player he was in 2016 or anything like what I've seen previously BTW. He grew a leg in the NEAFL last year and made team of the year in that comp.
It's possible we start the year with him a straight swap for Mummy. That might be a problem for Lobb though as he's been groomed, really wants the job,and hasn't done anything wrong.

I think you're confusing BF with Leon. Leon has always publicly said we choose to play three talls,and backed it up in selection.
I find the current fad on BF for small forwards amusing. I'm convinced the Tigers just made a virtue of necessity, and kudos to them.
Dawson Is not the player he was in 2016 or anything like what I've seen previously BTW. He grew a leg in the NEAFL last year and made team of the year in that comp.
It's possible we start the year with him a straight swap for Mummy. That might be a problem for Lobb though as he's been groomed, really wants the job,and hasn't done anything wrong.
Just like it's easy for Richmond to talk up playing 1 tall forward because it's all they've got it's easy for GWS to talk up playing 3 tall forwards. Lobb should ruck and make the position his own and use his marking around the ground. Patton, Cameron and Himmelberg should play together because all 3 are good and Himmelberg provides pressure and Cameron should too. But if one of those 3 get injured I wouldn't worry about finding a 3rd guy, especially if GWS have developed some good small and medium options. That was really the let down last year, with Dev Smith injured, Deledio injured then not right and Stevie J cooked there wasn't the options in the small/medium players.

I imagine Keeffe comes in to compete with Simpson as back up ruck and then can be used in the backline if needed but I'd be surprised if he ever played a game down back. But I'd be much more interested in what the Giants are doing to find a pressure forward.

Just like it's easy for Richmond to talk up playing 1 tall forward because it's all they've got it's easy for GWS to talk up playing 3 tall forwards. Lobb should ruck and make the position his own and use his marking around the ground. Patton, Cameron and Himmelberg should play together because all 3 are good and Himmelberg provides pressure and Cameron should too. But if one of those 3 get injured I wouldn't worry about finding a 3rd guy, especially if GWS have developed some good small and medium options. That was really the let down last year, with Dev Smith injured, Deledio injured then not right and Stevie J cooked there wasn't the options in the small/medium players.

I imagine Keeffe comes in to compete with Simpson as back up ruck and then can be used in the backline if needed but I'd be surprised if he ever played a game down back. But I'd be much more interested in what the Giants are doing to find a pressure forward.
Whole different topic but it is directly related.
We start next year in a better place regarding defensive pressure forward for two reasons

1. We wont have to cover Stevie J's lack if mobility. I dont regret us recruiting him but this was always a weakness that git worse as his body did.

2. Jezza missing in finals hurt us defensively. He is very quick but in previous years has been poor defensively in technique and enthusiasm. He took great strides in both this year and it has been largely overlooked.

Leon's answer to this question has been we develop the talls defensively. It's become a mantra that we need a small forward with defensive pressure. As for the stories we couldn't win without Mummy they're not really invalid as much as out of date. Himmelburg very good defensively as well as Jezza. Patton will never be great at ground level, or legspeed in the chase though.
I expect our forward line to includeToby and Deledio. It's silly to have expected Deledio to be at his best immediately after long lay off.
De Boer did his job and I think he has a spot unless someone takes it off him.
All if those three can, and will, rotate through the midfield and that's important. Often overlooked in all the talk about small pressure forwards.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trent McKenzie is as Port Adelaide too if anybody missed it.

By the way, how many rebound type defenders do Port need? Pittard, Harlett, Broadbent and Byrne-Jones are all best 22. Houston and Bonner provide good depth and now they've added McKenzie too? Odd signing if you ask me.

Port just basically signing whoever they can get their hands on. Too many list spots and need to fill them somehow i think.

By the way, how many rebound type defenders do Port need? Pittard, Harlett, Broadbent and Byrne-Jones are all best 22. Houston and Bonner provide good depth and now they've added McKenzie too? Odd signing if you ask me.

They may envisage a change of role for some of those players. McKenzie would still be depth though.

We played 5 tall backs against WC in Perth because it's what we had fit and ready to play AFL. . Your generally pretty accurate re our team but this is just wrong. Our defensewas the least affected zone with injuries and we were still winning most games at our most injury depleted.
Later when we got players back we didn't improve as you'd(or certainly I ) hope at the business end of the season.

Fair enough just seem to remember halfway through the year when Davis, Haynes, etc were injured (among others) was when there were issues. Maybe I'm wrong, happy to be wrong.

Either way an extra tall I don't see as a bad thing- at worst it's handy depth. Matt De Boer was handy last season for you guys.

No salt because I really liked him as a Magpie but Keeffe was so far off it in the VFL this year, he didn't even come close to playing seniors. And this was for a side with no key defensive depth. Very strange decision by GWS, they must see something still left in him.

Didn't you guys play him as a forward this year?

GWS would be more likely recruiting as a KPD and he said himself he prefers playing defence.

Fair enough just seem to remember halfway through the year when Davis, Haynes, etc were injured (among others) was when there were issues. Maybe I'm wrong, happy to be wrong.

Either way an extra tall I don't see as a bad thing- at worst it's handy depth. Matt De Boer was handy last season for you guys.
We did lose Haynes in round six with a hamstring you're right, I'd forgotten.

Oh no, It's all perception. We had some very close scrapes in that period. Did miss Haynes. I do think our year went off the rails at the end of the season though.

Fair enough your judgment is better than mine concerning your list.

Might be a change of role for him

We really need good kicks forward of centre. Would be great to see him as a high half forward.

Mckenzie is a terrbile signing.
Not really. Salary dump I'm thinking. DFA's aren't paid much and Port have Salary issues up the wazoo. They still have to find room to re-sign Wines, Boak and Grey in 2018 with an already bursting 'Cap'. Grab a DFA and go into 2018 with 6 rookies and they can avoid a disaster.

It's quiet clever really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back