VAR Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Only thing I can think is it's deemed a clear error because the ref might have said he didn't see it strike the arm. In that case it's automatically a clear error (based on the assumption that it's deemed handball).

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
VAR is a bit of a mess at the moment but in the commentary they said officials were under instruction that if a player made himself bigger by using his arms and the ball makes contact with it then that should be given as a pen. The commentators were convinced the penalty would be given and they were right

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I've seen it now and dont see how it could have been overturned on VAR IMO. Only because the defense is turning away from the ball and it hits his arms by his side. Not quite sure how that fits under the clear and obvious error mantra. By the same token you would expect that if it was given that it would not be reversed upon VAR advice.

I've seen it now and dont see how it could have been overturned on VAR IMO. Only because the defense is turning away from the ball and it hits his arms by his side. Not quite sure how that fits under the clear and obvious error mantra. By the same token you would expect that if it was given that it would not be reversed upon VAR advice.

Only thing I can think is it's deemed a clear error because the ref might have said he didn't see it strike the arm. In that case it's automatically a clear error (based on the assumption that it's deemed handball).

Inclined to agree with Cruyffy, that angle showed the ball was out - just, even taking the curvage into account. The problem seems to be that VAR officials wasn’t shown the angle Cruyff is talking about
Looked out to me but I guess VAR needs categorical proof so hard to overturn.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I think refs are a bit unrealistic with what they consider an unnatural position. Bloody hard to jump without using your arms to some extent.

My view is no penalty in these scenarios unless the players arms are raised above the head or in an unnatural position. There will obviously be some movement of the arms when jumping to block a shot on goal.

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
Good use of VAR in the Porto game, defender thought they could get away with a sly jersey pullback. Ref didn't pick it up, VAR did, clear error & pen.
But then they forgot to use VAR with a clear clip of the heels in the 120th minute on a Roma player

Staggering that wasn’t reviewed. Stonewall penalty

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
I think refs are a bit unrealistic with what they consider an unnatural position. Bloody hard to jump without using your arms to some extent.
If you try and replicate the action the PSG player did, your arms end up exactly where the PSG players was.

Fully natural position and should never had been given. If it had hit his other hand I would have a different view as that was sticking up at a weird angle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
If you try and replicate the action the PSG player did, your arms end up exactly where the PSG players was.

Fully natural position and should never had been given. If it had hit his other hand I would have a different view as that was sticking up at a weird angle
Exactly, you can't jump with your arms down unless you force yourself to keep them down IE - unnatural position.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Certainly makes it very difficult for defenders. Interesting to see the three footballers as pundits said it shouldn't be a pen but the 'expert' , the former ref said it is. Think if he hadn't turned his back on it with his arm out it wouldn't have been a peno.

I remember hating when players put their arms behind their back constantly when defending crosses and shots. Will probably have to be the norm from now on even though it gives an advantage to the attacking player.
It's probably more of an unnatural position than most.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
But then they forgot to use VAR with a clear clip of the heels in the 120th minute on a Roma player

Staggering that wasn’t reviewed. Stonewall penalty

I guess the ref made the call that there wasn't enough contact to give a pen. A deliberate action like pulling a player back will always be more likely to be penalised then an inadvertent coming together. Those incidents are really a subjective call.
The Porto penalty left absolutely no doubt, deliberate attempt by defender to stop the striker getting on the end of the cross. Who knows, if they clipped heels perhaps the ref and VAR may also have done nothing.

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
I guess the ref made the call that there wasn't enough contact to give a pen. A deliberate action like pulling a player back will always be more likely to be penalised then an inadvertent coming together. Those incidents are really a subjective call.
The Porto penalty left absolutely no doubt, deliberate attempt by defender to stop the striker getting on the end of the cross. Who knows, if they clipped heels perhaps the ref and VAR may also have done nothing.
No doubt the Porto pull back was a penalty. If ref deemed not enough contact for the Roma one, then VAR should of had a word in his ear. There was a clip of heels which caused the Roma player to then trip over his own leg. In that instance the Roma player had zero chance of being able to keep his feet so had to be a penalty. How much more contact can there be than the 100% inability of a player to maintain there feet?

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
No doubt the Porto pull back was a penalty. If ref deemed not enough contact for the Roma one, then VAR should of had a word in his ear. There was a clip of heels which caused the Roma player to then trip over his own leg. In that instance the Roma player had zero chance of being able to keep his feet so had to be a penalty. How much more contact can there be than the 100% inability of a player to maintain there feet?

It's really subjective. Did the forward initiate the contact? Was there enough contact to trip them up? It will be always treated differently to the pullback which should really be eliminated by VAR with defenders no longer able to do it on the sly.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
VAR is one of the best things to come to football as long as they get the decisions right and we aren’t left thinking “WTF?”. I was watching the Roma/Empoli match which ended 2-1 to Roma. Emboli made it 2-2 in the 90th minute but the goal they scored was referred to VAR a couple minutes later and I thought it was to see if Juan Jesus was fouled in the box as he collided with an Empoli player just before the goal was scored. It goes to VAR and the replay shows that the ball bobbled up and hit the Empoli player on the arm and the goal -that was initially given - was chalked off. The match would have ended 2-2 Pre-VAR as everyone missed the ball which struck the attackers arm.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
What's the go with clubs all having video screens next season in the PL? Helps with the crowd understanding VAR decisions. I know Utd & LFC are resistant to installing screens at OT / Anfield which just seems ridiculous to me. Video screeens should be mandatory at all PL venues next season.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
What's the go with clubs all having video screens next season in the PL? Helps with the crowd understanding VAR decisions. I know Utd & LFC are resistant to installing screens at OT / Anfield which just seems ridiculous to me. Video screeens should be mandatory at all PL venues next season.
Fans will never understand VAR decisions. Or should that be accept?
I say keep the fans in the dark until they see a replay later.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Pen retaken because of encroachment reviewed on VAR in A League:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/footba...s/news-story/a42b9243194ed16b5d2260387b50c70d

(click on double penalty drama)

I'll have to double check but I thought encroachment by an attacking player meant turning the ball over to the opposition if the keeper saves it. If an attacking player encroaches and the penalty is scored directly then a retake is meant to happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back