VAR Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Liverpool with a 7 point lead on the real (fair) table. Forever the victims and never the beneficiaries...

although when something does go against them in a big game expect them to wear club sanctioned anti var t-shirts in the next one.

Meanwhile in the actual VAR table:

Liverpool better off to the tune of 2 points. 3 disallowed goals for Liverpool, 2 against their opponents. Net benefit 2 points. City no difference from VAR. Leicester also better off 2 points. So no difference at all going off actual figures rather than opinions.

Walcott denied a penalty despite clearly being held back, trying to stay on his feet & getting his shot away goes unrewarded & defender unpunished.

Then DCL denied a goal bundled over the line with the top of his arm/shoulder & then yellow carded for it. Same part of his arm van Dijk used when Livarpool didn’t have a goal disallowed.

Some utterly bizarre logic in there. Claims 3 points for City if the penalty awarded at 0-0 wasnt given by VAR. City lost the game 1-2 so that would make it 1-1. Not a win to City. Basically a table of their opinion on how games would have progressed if not for the intervention of VAR rather than going off factual VAR decisions and their impact.
It’s just more hate that will make this seasons EPL title even sweeter if we win it.

Liverpool with a 7 point lead on the real (fair) table. Forever the victims and never the beneficiaries...

So VAR being used and over turning an incorrect decision isn't fair?

Just seen that refs will be encouraged to use pitchside monitors in the league.

Something that should have happened from day 1.

Never understood why they have been hesistant to do so up until this point of the season. Especially after a goal has been scored. Play is stopped - take a look if there's any possible issues flagged by VAR.

Last edited:
West Ham players throws his head back into Holgate well off the ball, VAR gives it the all clear :moustache:

Yeah he sold it, but going down was the only way to bring attention to it. Every single other occasion I’ve seen anyone use their head into an opponents face regardless of contact has been a red card out of intent.

No monitor used either to leave the decision up to the on field official

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VAR isnt the issue, its the idiots making the decisions on the vision.

I saw this disallowed goal and couldn’t ******* believe this pathetic decision by the campaigners using VAR. Incompetence is being kind to these useless *s. Sorry Chef but it was pathetic.

It's been an unmitigated disaster for me, and I'd get rid of everyone involved in its implementation.

Only hope is that FIFA taking over responsibility for it will force through some of the things that should be happening, but Mike Riley is refusing to allow.

Purchase monitors should be used for every overturned decision except offside. Interpretation of offside needs to change, interpretation of handball needs to change. VAR refs need to be accountable for mistakes, and I'd consider separating in pitch refs from VAR refs. Do one or the other, but you can't do both. Each side is managed separately.

Mike Riley must be sacked.

What needs to change with the handball rule? Does everyone agree with this?

All intentional handballs = pen
Unintentional handballs where a flailing arm is blocking a shot or cross = pen

When the ball hits an arm that is tucked in = no pen
An unintentional handball where just before it quickly deflected off someone else's or your own head, body or leg = no pen

Maybe they need to go as radical as non-deliberate handball (i.e not a clear action towards the ball - see Ward, Lindelof etc) is a free kick from the top of the D. Any deliberate handball (Maupay/moving the arm towards where the ball is going even if you're trying to make it look less obvious) is a penalty.

Maybe they need to go as radical as non-deliberate handball (i.e not a clear action towards the ball - see Ward, Lindelof etc) is a free kick from the top of the D. Any deliberate handball (Maupay/moving the arm towards where the ball is going even if you're trying to make it look less obvious) is a penalty.

But Ward was an action towards the ball?

I don't mind that as an idea in general though.

There needs to be a clear definition.

I.e the arm above horizontal is deemed unnatural, below horizontal is up to the ref to determine if it was moving towards to the ball or retracting it in an attempt to move it away to determine intentional or not.

I think the arm should have to move a clear and considerable amount towards the ball to be deemed a deliberate hand ball, a slight movement on account of balance and momentum shouldn't cut it imo.

There should be the benefit of the doubt (i.e common sense), if there's is any doubt, I don't believe a penalty is an appropriate decision.

They can fix the penalty/GK rule while they are at it. There should be no scenario where a penalty is retaken, if played after the whistle and the ball is in the correct position.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back