Varcoe or Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

Varcoe's workrate is as phenomenal as it is underrated

Meaning it's neither?

haven't seen Garlett run end to end, touching the ball several times to kick a crucial goal

So? When did that specific type of play become a requirement for demonstration of workrate?

You're talking about one piece of play in an entire career, and defined a player by it. The reason Varcoe's workrate is 'underrated' is that he doesn't tackle enough or win enough contested ball.

Meaning it's neither?

You serious? Read it again...

Varcoe has to be a long way ahead, surely..performs when it matters (unfortunately...). Garlett is yet to show that he can contribute to Carlton closing the gap on the top 3.

Garlett - double the tackles, almost double the goals. Varcoe doesn't work hard enough and relies on uncontested ball too often to ever become as consistent as Garlett.

Hodgepodge is a word used to describe a confused or disorderly mass or collection of things; a "mess" or a "jumble

As opposed to Varcoe's last 4 finals.

2010 preliminary final v Collingwood (we were thrashed, most of our players were crap):19 touches, 4 marks, *2 goals, 3 tackles, 5 inside 50s

2011 qualifying final v Hawthorn:
7 touches, 1 behind, 1 tackle, 1 goal assist, 5 inside 50s

2011 preliminary final v WC: 12 touches, 3 marks, 2 goals, 2 behinds, 1 tackle, 1 inside 50

2011 GF v Collingwood: 21 touches, 3 marks, 3 goals, 1 tackle, 2 inside 50s

All that and a whole lot of hard running.

PS, I'd consider Garlett's last final to be pretty average.

And since when are Milne or Chapman not "true small forwards"? There is no such term. Selective much?

Wasn't using those statistics to suggest he was better than Varcoe. Just to prove that labelling Garlett a down-hill skier is incorrect. He has played very well in big games.

You'd hope Varcoe's stats were better. He's been in the system what, 3 or 4 years more than Garlett? Not to mention he hunts the footy in the midfield a lot more than Garlett does...Garlett has much better tackling numbers despite having nowhere near as much midfield time.

Wouldn't call Chappy a true small forward, his bread and butter isn't crumbing and defensive pressure. And I agree with the Milne statement, he's just ahead of Garlett for now.

Varcoe's workrate is as phenomenal as it is underrated - haven't seen Garlett run end to end, touching the ball several times to kick a crucial goal - and I'm not only talking about his GF goal either, he did pretty much the same thing in round 5 against Hawthorn. Still doesn't have the consistency I'll admit but not sure Garlett quite has it either.

Maybe I'm biased, I rate both but I'm surprised anyone would honestly think Garlett is better. Varcoe is fitter, stronger and more versatile without a doubt, and they're both very skilled but I'd think Trav is a bit ahead. Garlett is more deadly in front of goals. If Varcoe was as confident as he is skilled, he'd be an elite midfielder. But I can't remember him ever lasting a whole preseason and I suspect that hurts a guy's confidence and consistency - it just makes it more surprising his gut running in 2011.

This is his problem he can play 3 minutes of absolutely scintilating footy, kick 2 goals and have a hand in a couple more then be nearly unsighted for the rest of the game.
Not sure if his pre season setback will hurt his season (Cat fans would be more up to date with how his pre season is travelling)with alot of young talented Cat players ready to possibly take his spot.

This is his problem he can play 3 minutes of absolutely scintilating footy, kick 2 goals and have a hand in a couple more then be nearly unsighted for the rest of the game.
Not sure if his pre season setback will hurt his season (Cat fans would be more up to date with how his pre season is travelling)with alot of young talented Cat players ready to possibly take his spot.

Youve basically described every small forward in the AFL incuding the much hyped Cyril Rioli. :thumbsu:

Don't take it personally. What I said has ZERO to do with draft picks, rookie picks or whatever else ...

And pretty much ZERO to do with Garlett as well apparently. As other posters have pointed out, your claims don't really match up with the facts on the player. No one's taking it personally, it's just a curious set of responses is all.

Is it really that much of a problem pacman :confused:

I ask you because Geelong have been the most dominant side during his time at the club and I don't quite see it being as much of a problem as you eluded to.
Perhaps if we had done won the 1 flag in 5 years of footy (ala Hawthorn), then it would be a slightly bigger issue.
We win and he's slowly improving so it's basically a win win situation for Geelong :thumbsu:

You failed to highlight the most important match of them all didn't you :D
2011 GF: Varcoe = 21 disposals, 3 goals

How about his 2010 final series? Kicked 5 goals and also had 18 disposals per game along with 3.5 tackles.

I think it's already been pointed out that where Garlett pips Varcoe is consistency. Most of this has to do with some idiotic comment that Jeffy doesn't perform in big games, of which there is no supporting evidence. No point bouncing yourself around in circles.

Is it really that much of a problem pacman :confused:

I ask you because Geelong have been the most dominant side during his time at the club and I don't quite see it being as much of a problem as you eluded to.
Perhaps if we had done won the 1 flag in 5 years of footy (ala Hawthorn), then it would be a slightly bigger issue.
We win and he's slowly improving so it's basically a win win situation for Geelong :thumbsu:
At the moment it's not a problem as he's being carried by a magnificent midfield and a great defence.
We are not here to discuss how good the Cats have been over the last 5 years though so I guess we'll find out how good he is in the next 5 years when the Cats drop a little.

Youve basically described every small forward in the AFL incuding the much hyped Cyril Rioli. :thumbsu:
Stokes is the Cats small forward Varcoe spends plenty of time in the midfield/fwd flank, but go ahead and have a crack at the Hawks and Cyril if that's what your real post is all about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast wants Varcoe.

Its running at 60/40

Westcoast made a move for Garlett before last season when he only had one year behind him.
He knocked back the extra money and stuck by the team that gave him an opportunity as a rookie.
It will be interesting to see what Varcoe does if he is offered the same.

For mine its
Rioli
Garlett
Varcoe

But i would take garlett if offered one of the three, if that makes any sense.

You failed to highlight the most important match of them all didn't you :D
2011 GF: Varcoe = 21 disposals, 3 goals

No, that was factored in to his averages for the past finals series . . . :confused: I know you want to make the comparison about just the one game, but football doesn't work like that.

Garlett doesn't come close right now. Potential means little once you get to the top level, and right now Varcoe is a long way ahead..

This response is laughable. Garlett kicked 39 goals in 20 games in 2010, 48 goals in 2012 in 2011.

You could count on one hand the number of small forwards in the competition who've managed that...even fewer who's managed that in their first three years.

In two of his three years he kicked more goals than Davis ever did in an individual season (in a career spanning 12 years).

This response is laughable. Garlett kicked 39 goals in 20 games in 2010, 48 goals in 2012 in 2011.

You could count on one hand the number of small forwards in the competition who've managed that...even fewer who's managed that in their first three years.

In two of his three years he kicked more goals than Davis ever did in an individual season (in a career spanning 12 years).

Not sure what Davis has to do with anything?

Varcoe is ahead in my opinion. Over and out.

That's a valid opinion. To say that Garlett hasn't proven himself at AFL is not. Ignorant at best.

Was probably more meant to sound like he can still get better from what I've seen...he's behind Varcoe in my opinion now (who has a couple of years on him I think), but doesn't mean he always will be.

Didn't mean to upset all the Carlton folk on here, would have worded it differently if I'd realised it was going to.

Actually, no I wouldn't ;)

No, that was factored in to his averages for the past finals series . . . :confused: I know you want to make the comparison about just the one game, but football doesn't work like that.

This is done with Luke Hodge and the Norm Smith though when rating his finals. This shows how true skilled players such as Bartel and Judd etc have to perform consistently over many many weeks to win the Brownlow.

I think you'll find football does work like that when that one game is the Grand Final.

Garlett is a very dangerous small forward with a blistering attacking game but I feel he's a bit one-dimensional. Varcoe may not be as damaging with his disposal (even though he is quite crafty in his own right), but anyway ultimately, I just think he has a more complete all-round game to offer with his more versatile skill set. So Varcoe for me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back