News Varcoe racially abused & abuse of Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this in another thread, might answer your question:

Right, so under that definition hatred of someone based on their race isn't always racism? What should we call it? Personally I think she's confusing oppression with one of its causes.

So basically white people cant even use the word black anymore, but black people can use any vial insults they want towards white people as they’ve been oppressed? I honestly see why we’re getting nowhere with equality if that’s the general rule. I feel like I’m going to be labeled a racist for even asking this question.

When talking about individual people disliking or "hating" other people on the basis of their race, yes, anyone can be racist, and no, those sort of insults aren't ok.

When talking about systemic and systematic racism, that only exists towards minority groups. The racism of people in positions of power and privilege towards marginalised groups reinforces those structural racism issues.

As an example, Aboriginals are massively over represented in the justice system. A massive reason being the historical and systemic issues that makes them similarly over represented in low socioeconomic demographics. Because of this "everyone knows" Aboriginal's are more likely to be criminals, and they get treated as such. They are more likely to be pulled over, more likely to be followed in stores etc for the sole reason of their race.

Racist insults, jokes, names etc reinforce the negative stereotypes that allow those systemic racism issues to be normalised and further entrench those systemic racism issues.

Racist insults, jokes, names etc against white people in Australia don't have the same impact, because white people don't have the negative stereotyped perceptions to overcome.

No, that doesn't mean that people of colour insulting "white" people is ok, but those insults don't have the same societal impact.

So basically white people cant even use the word black anymore, but black people can use any vial insults they want towards white people as they’ve been oppressed? I honestly see why we’re getting nowhere with equality if that’s the general rule. I feel like I’m going to be labeled a racist for even asking this question.

According to that nutjob, if black people were the dominant power in any country or society then they couldn't experience racism.

This is the problem with SJW arguments, always fall apart when you actually think about them because the people behind them are not as smart as they think.

I use black and white to differentiate between people. Can't see a problem with using the word black in a non racist context.

A thread to discuss the racial abuse of one of our own players has quickly degenerated into a discussion of whether white people can be victims too.

F. F. S.

Well generally when you tell a large group of people that it's impossible for them to be victims or discriminated against there will be some push back, because you know, common sense.

According to that nutjob, if black people were the dominant power in any country or society then they couldn't experience racism.

This is the problem with SJW arguments, always fall apart when you actually think about them because the people behind them are not as smart as they think.

That's totally incorrect. The exact point is that the dominant and privileged race puts in place structures that allow for discrimination against people based on race.
"Redlining" suburbs in the US, Native American "reserves", the White Australia policy etc.

The current situation in South Africa shows some racism towards white people from black people. White farmers don't seem to get the protections as others. However, that is a very complicated situation as the blacks, despite being the overwhelming population majority, have only recently taken some of those "power" positions and the majority of wealthy and educated people there are still white.

It's not a "black" vs "white" thing. It's just that in the Western countries we think about "white" people are dominant and various people colour are marginalised.

There are plenty of other examples of similar systemic racism that are not "black vs white". Rohingya's in Myanmar, Tamil's in Sri Lanka, Uyghurs in China. Gypsies are another example. Obviously the Jewish people, in particular around World War 2.

Well generally when you tell a large group of people that it's impossible for them to be victims or discriminated against there will be some push back, because you know, common sense.

Feel free to start a discussion about the indescribable pain of being a white person, about the oppression of being told you can't be oppressed, the suffering that dare not be spoken of etc. etc.

Just pop it into a different thread, because starting a conversation about the racial abuse of white folk in this thread seems desperate, pathetic, irrelevant, and disrespectful.

Common sense, I would have thought.

That's totally incorrect. The exact point is that the dominant and privileged race puts in place structures that allow for discrimination against people based on race.
"Redlining" suburbs in the US, Native American "reserves", the White Australia policy etc.

The current situation in South Africa shows some racism towards white people from black people. White farmers don't seem to get the protections as others. However, that is a very complicated situation as the blacks, despite being the overwhelming population majority, have only recently taken some of those "power" positions and the majority of wealthy and educated people there are still white.

It's not a "black" vs "white" thing. It's just that in the Western countries we think about "white" people are dominant and various people colour are marginalised.

There are plenty of other examples of similar systemic racism that are not "black vs white". Rohingya's in Myanmar, Tamil's in Sri Lanka, Uyghurs in China. Gypsies are another example. Obviously the Jewish people, in particular around World War 2.

Er.. what. She literally said "The dominant power cannot experience racism"... And I said, so in a situation where black people were the dominant power, it would be impossible to be racist towards a black person. According to her definition that is.

Feel free to start a discussion about the indescribable pain of being a white person, about the oppression of being told you can't be oppressed, the suffering that dare not be spoken of etc. etc.

Just pop it into a different thread, because starting a conversation about the racial abuse of white folk in this thread seems desperate, pathetic, irrelevant, and disrespectful.

Common sense, I would have thought.

Ah yes, more nonsense white guilt. I never whinged about being a white person, I'm just pointing out white people can in fact be victims and can be discriminated against. It IS possible. Get it?

Are people honestly surprised? Do you think this will ever go away? No, it won't. These sorts of people that don't understand why "chimp" is degrading, insulting and racist have a level of intelligence akin to an amoeba. Thankfully, these sorts of people are in the minority. Most normal people know it's not okay. I mean look at the dude who wrote it. He used his real name. :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are people honestly surprised? Do you think this will ever go away? No, it won't. These sorts of people that don't understand why "chimp" is degrading, insulting and racist have a level of intelligence akin to an amoeba. Thankfully, these sorts of people are in the minority. Most normal people know it's not okay. I mean look at the dude who wrote it. He used his real name. :$

Surely he should lose his job then if we know exactly who he is and what he looks like?

Agree. You will never ever 100% get rid of Racism

Ah yes, more nonsense white guilt. I never whinged about being a white person, I'm just pointing out white people can in fact be victims and can be discriminated against. It IS possible. Get it?

Oh yeah, I get it. I think it's great that you're providing some searing insight into race relations. You should put out a petition. I won't commit myself to your cause, but these guys are definitely on board.

1593839736861.png

But my point, really, was that your insights into racism against white folk shouldn't litter a thread dedicated to the racial abuse of Varcoe. Get it?

Oh yeah, I get it. I think it's great that you're providing some searing insight into race relations. You should put out a petition. I won't commit myself to your cause, but these guys are definitely on board.

View attachment 905812

But my point, really, was that your insights into racism against white folk shouldn't litter a thread dedicated to the racial abuse of Varcoe. Get it?

I didn't come here to talk about white people, but when someone else sense nonsense it needs to be corrected. Trying to abuse me doesn't really help your argument, relax.

I didn't come here to talk about white people, but when someone else sense nonsense it needs to be corrected. Trying to abuse me doesn't really help your argument, relax.

How did I try and abuse you?

Oh yes, act dumb. What exactly was that picture meant to mean? I know the meme, the internet sees those 2 are crazy racist white privileged people and you tried to lump me in with them. don't try and weasel out of it.
Not everything is about you.

I have seen that picture (not a meme) many times over the past days and it didn't occur to me as applying to you.

Oh yes, act dumb. What exactly was that picture meant to mean? I know the meme, the internet sees those 2 are crazy racist white privileged people and you tried to lump me in with them. don't try and weasel out of it.

I was lampooning your argument. The picture was used as a way to assist in the lampooning of your argument.

If this is classed as 'abuse' in your world, then the logic of white oppression becomes a bit clearer to me...

But being a generous spirit, not wanting to cause any distress, let me apologise for any offence caused.

Not everything is about you.

I have seen that picture (not a meme) many times over the past days and it didn't occur to me as applying to you.

Well it does become about me when someone quotes my post and says "these guys fit right in with your cause". But anyway, This is getting off topic.

Those 2 are a huge meme, their pictures are everywhere.

I was lampooning your argument. The picture was used as a way to assist in the lampooning of your argument.

If this is classed as 'abuse' in your world, then the logic of white oppression becomes a bit clearer to me...

But being a generous spirit, not wanting to cause any distress, let me apologise for any offence caused.

You were saying my "cause" is the same as two people who are seen as crazy racist privileged white people, if you can't see why that is offensive then I just don't know what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back