News Varcoe racially abused & abuse of Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Er.. what. She literally said "The dominant power cannot experience racism"... And I said, so in a situation where black people were the dominant power, it would be impossible to be racist towards a black person. According to her definition that is.

Oh, yes, that is correct. In a hypothetical situation where black people were the dominant power over white people those black people in power could not experience racism in that context of systemic discrimination and racism. They could still be insulted based on race, just as white people can now, but the impact of those insults would not have the same racist effects if they were not a marginalised race.

You can argue with her definition of "racism", but that doesn't change the point that is being made about why racist insults against people of colour are different to insults against people with the privilege of belonging to non-marginalised demographics. I'm sorry there isn't a word that is different to "racism" that encapsulates that so you don't have to argue the toss about the definition of racism.

You were saying my "cause" is the same as two people who are seen as crazy racist privileged white people, if you can't see why that is offensive then I just don't know what to say.

You've decided to draw an extreme conclusion.

I can only reiterate my apology for any offence caused. You can only accept, or not.

Er.. what. She literally said "The dominant power cannot experience racism"... And I said, so in a situation where black people were the dominant power, it would be impossible to be racist towards a black person. According to her definition that is.
She was obviously talking about white dominant cultures when she said the comment about whites. But where I think she's got it wrong is that the disadvantage is no longer from the legislative system, it comes from racist attitudes. Need to cure the attitudes to overcome oppression and racist attitudes cross all races.

Oh, yes, that is correct. In a hypothetical situation where black people were the dominant power over white people those black people in power could not experience racism in that context of systemic discrimination and racism. They could still be insulted based on race, just as white people can now, but the impact of those insults would not have the same racist effects if they were not a marginalised race.

You can argue with her definition of "racism", but that doesn't change the point that is being made about why racist insults against people of colour are different to insults against people with the privilege of belonging to non-marginalised demographics. I'm sorry there isn't a word that is different to "racism" that encapsulates that so you don't have to argue the toss about the definition of racism.

I never disagreed with your 2nd paragraph, my point is just that anyone can be the victim of racism.

I never disagreed with your 2nd paragraph, my point is just that anyone can be the victim of racism.
Pretty rare for a white man in Australia to be a "victim" of racism. Despite the fact that racist attitudes can be felt towards him.

Are Mods asleep like our team last night?

Take this bullshit discussion to the Nest people.

Has it been established how old the person is that abused our players?
Sounds like a kid.......and no I am not excusing him by the way.

You were saying my "cause" is the same as two people who are seen as crazy racist privileged white people, if you can't see why that is offensive then I just don't know what to say.

Just wanted to say something. I wasn't trying to suggest that you're racist. Was I trying to suggest that you might have a warped sense of oppression? Yes, but there was no intention of branding you racist.

That's not the point of my post. If you genuinely thought that I was calling you a racist, then I genuinely apologise. Not an apology for offence cause, but legit apology.

There is far too much unkindness in this world. I try and avoid it, but falter.

Just wanted to say something. I wasn't trying to suggest that you're racist. Was I trying to suggest that you might have a warped sense of oppression? Yes, but there was no intention of branding you racist.

That's not the point of my post. If you genuinely thought that I was calling you a racist, then I genuinely apologise. Not an apology for offence cause, but legit apology.

There is far too much unkindness in this world. I try and avoid it, but falter.

I have never said anything about oppression, literally nothing. Am I'm the one with the warped sense? I have never suggested for a second white people are oppressed, nothing that could even slightly resemble that.

I have never said anything about oppression, literally nothing. Am I'm the one with the warped sense? I have never suggested for a second white people are oppressed, nothing that could even slightly resemble that.

I'm not here to continue the argument. I was just trying to offer a more sincere apology.

The CFC has made me tired, mate. I'm tired of arguing in this thread, or any other. I was just apologising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The McKiver post has actually been given some 'likes'.

of course... and I totally disagree with mason's comment about education because there is always going to be a percentage of people who feel better by abusing other people. I guarantee the guy who made the comment is feeling fantastic today because for once in his life, people are paying attention to him.

Controversial opinion here... While I know we need to spread awareness about the issue of racism, I also don't think we have to promote the * out of every individual loon who says something inexcusable on social media. I feel like this only encourages more of this behaviour. People can use pseudonyms and then become anonymous celebrities saying s**t like this - is it better to just ignore sometimes? Would the players referenced have even seen the message if not shown by journos?

It makes me think of New Zealand's decision to not mention the name of the Christchurch terrorist shooter, and to blur his face in the news. It helps to prevent these people from gaining the notoriety they crave.

We can't just sit at our keyboards attacking the guy who made the comments. What more can be said that hasn't already been said. Nor it seems can the thread be turned into a discussion about what constitutes racism. Perhaps mods could just close the thread. I see no point in keeping it open if it's just going to degenerate into a discussion about why you can't discuss certain aspects of the issue. Closing it down also denies the original maker of the comments an opportunity to gloat on the impact of his comments.

Nor it seems can the thread be turned into a discussion about what constitutes racism. Perhaps mods could just close the thread.
I don't really get why it has to remain a narrow discussion about this incident, without branching off to bigger issues. We often hear that we need education about racism, but when there is a discussion that could result in education and having us change or broaden to a more educated perspective, it gets stopped. And brought back to something that no one needs any education about, as the original comment was crystal clear in its obnoxiousness.

I don't really get why it has to remain a narrow discussion about this incident, without branching off to bigger issues. We often hear that we need education about racism, but when there is a discussion that could result in education and having us change or broaden to a more educated perspective, it gets stopped. And brought back to something that no one needs any education about, as the original comment was crystal clear in its obnoxiousness.
I was actually thinking about how it may have felt to be a white farmer in Robert Mugabe's Zimbabwe or a hostage at Entebbe when Idi Amin was in power in Uganda, but was quickly persuaded that such mentions were inappropriate in the context of the thread. However, I am not averse to others assuming responsibility for the moral direction of this thread. There is only so much can be said about the comments themselves.

I didn't come here to talk about white people, but when someone else sense nonsense it needs to be corrected. Trying to abuse me doesn't really help your argument, relax.
Correct, you didn’t come here to talk about white people.
You came here to defend the right of people to abuse and degrade those of colour. Particularly if those of colour put their head up and fight back against the racial taunts.

Correct, you didn’t come here to talk about white people.
You came here to defend the right of people to abuse and degrade those of colour. Particularly if those of colour put their head up and fight back against the racial taunts.

I'd love to hear how you come to that conclusion. Genuinly.

Quote my posts that show I'm defending peoples rights to abuse black people, go on.

I saw this in another thread, might answer your question:

Good grief, the world really has gone mad.

Bottom line is that we should all be treating our fellow man and woman with respect. That’s it. Full stop.

I saw this in another thread, might answer your question:

This may be true, but whites being racially vilified is also disgraceful and is still classed as discrimination. No one of any colour / gender / sexual preference should be bullied or belittled

This bloke that tweeted derogatory and racial comments is nothing but a tool that represents .00001% of the population, yet things like this can taint everyone of his colour, especially in the current social climate. Tosser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back