News Varcoe racially abused & abuse of Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute scum bag, hope he gets some form of punishment.

According to that nutjob, if black people were the dominant power in any country or society then they couldn't experience racism.

This is the problem with SJW arguments, always fall apart when you actually think about them because the people behind them are not as smart as they think.
Tend to agree with this, If i went to China I'm pretty sure I would still be racist if I made racist remarks about Chinese people despite being the overwhelming minority. Racism in general is bad in all forms from all people.

Controversial opinion here... While I know we need to spread awareness about the issue of racism, I also don't think we have to promote the fu** out of every individual loon who says something inexcusable on social media. I feel like this only encourages more of this behaviour. People can use pseudonyms and then become anonymous celebrities saying sh*t like this - is it better to just ignore sometimes? Would the players referenced have even seen the message if not shown by journos?

It makes me think of New Zealand's decision to not mention the name of the Christchurch terrorist shooter, and to blur his face in the news. It helps to prevent these people from gaining the notoriety they crave.

Gives them what they want. Attention to it

So basically white people cant even use the word black anymore, but black people can use any vial insults they want towards white people as they’ve been oppressed? I honestly see why we’re getting nowhere with equality if that’s the general rule. I feel like I’m going to be labeled a racist for even asking this question.

The reason why you are so angry, why you are so triggered and why your life generally sucks is not because black people are being racist to you.

It’s because you are not very bright.

The reason why you are so angry, why you are so triggered and why your life generally sucks is not because black people are being racist to you.

Can we not get so personal?

You're a man (or woman or something less specific) of very few words. A 'debutante' with only 136 posts in 11 years. You obviously choose your mark carefully.

Agree. You will never ever 100% get rid of Racism
Hopefully it will one day and I also hope it can be discussed without any 'whataboutism'.

This thread is about that twitter that was posted. It was unnecessary and what players like Varcoe and Betts seem to cop quite a bit.

I don't get what pleasure people get out of making comments like that.

If i went to China I'm pretty sure I would still be racist if I made racist remarks about Chinese people despite being the overwhelming minority. Racism in general is bad in all forms from all people.
I don't think I will be going to China anytime soon. I am sure their intelligence services have monitored by bigfooty posts.

Apparently not. Try getting someone to answer that. I’ve never been able to.

It’s a power thing when dealing with racial language. So I’m not sure a black can be done for using racial language against a white.
There’s no historical context for it .. there is no “ string that whitey up “ or let’s run all the whites of this cliff ,or whitey get to the back of the bus etc . I think that’s how it works. There is no fear etc attached to the word whitey. I get called a whitey and Im not reminded of anything time my people were treated less them human etc

If there was a club or something that was run by blacks and wouldn’t allow people in because they had a different skin colour then Im guessing they would be deemed as racists and not sure what the law does with that.

Last edited:
It’s a power thing when dealing with racial language. So I’m not sure a black can be done for using racial language against a white.
There’s no historical context for it .. there is no “ string that whitey up “ or let’s run all the whites of this cliff ,or whitey get to the back of the bus etc . I think that’s how it works. There is no fear etc attached to the word whitey.

If there was a club or something that was run by blacks and wouldn’t allow people in because they had a different skin colour then Im guessing they would be deemed as racists and not sure what the law does with that.
There would have been if you were a white farmer in Mugabe's Zimbabwe after your farm had been taken from you and you'd received a bit of a beating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are people honestly surprised? Do you think this will ever go away? No, it won't. These sorts of people that don't understand why "chimp" is degrading, insulting and racist have a level of intelligence akin to an amoeba. Thankfully, these sorts of people are in the minority. Most normal people know it's not okay. I mean look at the dude who wrote it. He used his real name. :$

100% Yidaki .

Sadly there are a significant % of unintelligent people in society who don't get it.

The % will shrink over time but it'll never go away.

So basically white people cant even use the word black anymore, but black people can use any vial insults they want towards white people as they’ve been oppressed? I honestly see why we’re getting nowhere with equality if that’s the general rule. I feel like I’m going to be labeled a racist for even asking this question.

Context and implied meaning are key.

Shocking tweet. Im sure this isn’t an isolated instance but I’m not sure how much media attention this issue needs before people start to rethink their language, or their use of social media. Very sad attack on Varcoe.

And while it hasn’t garnered much discussion, haven’t we grown beyond the use of “s*****c” as a derogatory insult.

Complete respect for Coxy’s handling of it.

Last edited:
Another terrible example of the worst of people. Hiding behind a keyboard as always

Wishing Trav and his family well, and great to see the club's instant and strong response

Dickhead Keyboard Warriors

No information on the actual social media post.

We stand against racism. This needs to be stamped out. Period. Hope Varcoe is okay.

Hope Cox is okay. Personal attacks is not what social media is made for.
Varcoe is so much better than whoever writes that cr@p, who’s playing at the highest level and who”s not.

the good news is that the majority of people won’t put up with small minded clowns these days.

When talking about individual people disliking or "hating" other people on the basis of their race, yes, anyone can be racist, and no, those sort of insults aren't ok.

When talking about systemic and systematic racism, that only exists towards minority groups. The racism of people in positions of power and privilege towards marginalised groups reinforces those structural racism issues.

As an example, Aboriginals are massively over represented in the justice system. A massive reason being the historical and systemic issues that makes them similarly over represented in low socioeconomic demographics. Because of this "everyone knows" Aboriginal's are more likely to be criminals, and they get treated as such. They are more likely to be pulled over, more likely to be followed in stores etc for the sole reason of their race.

Racist insults, jokes, names etc reinforce the negative stereotypes that allow those systemic racism issues to be normalised and further entrench those systemic racism issues.

Racist insults, jokes, names etc against white people in Australia don't have the same impact, because white people don't have the negative stereotyped perceptions to overcome.

No, that doesn't mean that people of colour insulting "white" people is ok, but those insults don't have the same societal impact.

Hey buddy did you know that for a long time white protestants did this to white catholics?

I bet you think someone bagging islam is racist right? Or that when you disagree with someone else's opinion you call them a bigot?

As I get holder I despair of how god damn stupid people have become and it aint limited by race either.

An appalling post, ignorant, racist, offensive, insensitive and disgusting in equal measures, the poster needs to be prosecuted, punished and then hopefully educated.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. - James Baldwin

Hi guys, I posted this elsewhere.
Hope you blokes find the culprit

The tweet about Cox and Varcoe was disgusting. I think highlighting it simply feeds the trolls. How can anyone seriously believe we can ever eradicate morons making nasty comments by simply hitting away on their keyboard? Many may be drunk, stoned or simply simple. The only way this will disappear is if we all agree to destroy the technology which enables it. A tiny minority make these comments but they get enormous coverage. I truly believe the media relishes this crap. They stoke the fires and catastrophize the situation. They preen and virtue signal. Shut up. Any half decent human being knows these comments are vile crap. The tiny minority who don't are never going to change their behavior.

I might add that Cox and Varcoe have been two of the more popular players at our club for some time. The chants of USA around the packed G and the joy when Varcoe kicked the opening goal in the 2018 grand final were proof of this love. Why not focus on the number of overwhelmingly positive stories we could tell about these two men and let the haters drown in their own irrelevance?

There is a danger with this endless tribal mentality( categorizing the abuse directed at certain indivuduals as more heinous than that directed at others depending upon their colour or sexual,orientation). Either all vicious, personal online abuse is disgusting and worthy of condemnation or none is. There are plenty of white, heterosexual footballers who have been deeply wounded and mentally damaged by online abuse. Why do we have to continually highlight abuse directed at coloured or gay people as somehow more vile? Kids who commit suicide due to bullying don't have to fit with either of these categories in order to be driven to the most extreme action to escape the pain. Is that not indicative of the fact that an individual does not have to belong to a historically oppressed group in order to have their life destroyed by personal abuse? I would suggest suicide provides us with a rather emphatic answer to that question.

As for that utterly moronic comment by that woman regarding what constitutes racism, she is the type of sick individual who teaches this crap in our schools and universities and this idea takes a foothold in our culture. Racism is simply the act of viewing someone as less than human or unworthy of respect or equal treatment based upon nothing more than their race.

To suggest that only a marginalised group can experience racism is a lie and patently ridiculous.. If a white person wandered into an Asian dominated Melbourne suburb and was refused service in a café or hardware store because they were white, that would be just as racist as a white person refusing to serve an Asian person even if the Caucasians are the dominant race in the particular society where it took place. If a white person was bashed to death in an alleyway by a group of Sudanese refugees here in Melbourne because they were white- that is a racial crime.

Racism is a human failing. It has nothing to do with any one racial group in the world. It is a universal problem. It has nothing to do with population numbers either. An individual person of any particular race can commit an act of racism even when outnumbered one million to one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back