News Varcoe's sister R.I.P. Our thoughts with Trav & family

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for intruding earlier. I was deeply saddened when I first heard and was hoping that it was just a bad dream. They are a much loved and respected family in our area and this has stunned a lot of people in the community.
Just a freak accident in an accidental head clash with her own teammate who by the way suffered a fractured jaw and hopefully is getting the help she needs as by all reports she is struggling and not in a great place right now.
RIP Maggie

The other girl had crossed my mind too - she must be taking it hard. I noticed that all the news articles were being careful not to say what happened (presumably to protect the team mate) but I assumed as much........head clash and a bleed was my assumption.

I hope the team mate can work through this in time and not feel (misplaced) guilt but it'll be a hard ask for her. :(

I just found out about Maggie Varcoe passing and it affected me in a way I haven't been affected in sport since Phil Hughes and John McCarthy.

However this is not about sportspeople, as such. It is about the tragic loss of a life.

I can not possibly give anything further than what has been said on this thread.

I know it might be a tough request but if anyone has Travis's twitter/Facebook account, are they able to pass our messages on.

It may sound inconvient to him and his family but I do know he loves this club, and I heard Jeremy Howe say today that the footyclub was 1 thing helping him cope.

Our messages of support may seem insignificant but I know in extremely tough times, any message of support can help.

A very sad time for the Varcoe's and their extended family.

And if Margaret played her football in the same manner as her brother then it was full of good old guts and determination, and every moment she spent on the footy field would've been her at her bravest. She would've done her family proud. Rest in peace young lady.

So sad. Trav gives in so much to the club, no one deserves this to happen to them but he's the least deserving. Such a club man that goes in 100% in every contest.

Condolences to the whole family, I'm sure the Collingwood family will get around Trav and give him all the time he needs.

s**t.

Just heard about this truly terrible news. May Maggie Varcoe rest in peace. I'm sure our boys and the whole AFL community will get around Travis and his family.

Heartbreaking to lose someone so young through playing our great game. My heart goes out to her family and teammates. It must be scary for all involved to have Trav playing also / her team mates and opponents returning to play again. Makes the calls to protect the head even more important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deepest condolences to everyone who knew and loved Margaret, an absolute tragedy.
I can imagine Collingwood people are feeling this deeply, all the best to you guys and gals, I know your great club will do everything in their power to help the Varcoe family through this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back