News Varcoe's sister R.I.P. Our thoughts with Trav & family

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yesterday the Sloanes lost their little one and now today another member of the Footy Community passes away. Terribly sad couple of days. My heart felt condolences go out to Travis and his family.
I didn’t even know about the Sloane’s loss.
Been an awful couple of weeks all round.
Condolences to Roryand Belinda.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Was absolutely shocked to read this, beyond a tragedy. Thoughts with the family and everyone at the pies. No doubt the club will wrap their arms around Travis and the entire family which will be some small comfort.

SwanDaneFan1991

Emeritus Boot Studding Professor
Jul 20, 2012
The Pivotonian Wilderness
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
Travvy, if you can see this, you are a top bloke. When we pass on, it's not the end, it's only the beginning. The woman affectionately known as Maggie will be watching over your wife, yourself, your kids, and your family, perpetually. Love crosses all boundaries eternally. Stay strong mate. Collingwood, all the players, coaches, suits, and supporters, particularly on bigfooty, are all behind you. Tragedy, the lowest ebb, will only become success and elation, given time to grow. Floreat Pica.

Crazy Tails

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2006
Collingwood Heartland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Is there any other teams?
This is bloody awful. Condolences to Travis, his family and all involved. RIP Maggie Varcoe.

How much adversity has this team had to endure this year? Between the off field stuff (Varcoe, Murray, JDG) and the on field long term injuries anything we achieve from here is a bonus.

#sidebyside #FOREVER

Nov 14, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Actually just popped in to express condolences in relation to Maggie Varcoe. Truly horrible.

Couldn’t find an appropriate thread.

I know that some anonymous Carlton posters best wishes and expression of sadness don’t mean much but it’s an event where you just feel the need to say something.

Thoughts with the family and friends

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
My deepest sympathy to Travis and the Varcoe family on the sudden and tragic loss of your daughter, sister and friend.

Life is precious and can be cut short at any moment so may she inspire our players to embrace the opportunities available to them as representatives of the Collingwood Football Club.

They're in a enviable position available to a lucky few.

Don't waste it.

Just horrible news.
Could we chang the thread title to read “Maggie Varcoe" rather than “Varcoe’s sister”? Seems more respectful to me.

There is a very old indigenous tradition not to name or depict the first name of those that have passed as you may disturb their spirit. Given the Varcoe's background in this circumstance not naming or depicting Trav's sister is the most respectful way to mourn.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
There is a very old indigenous tradition not to name or depict the first name of those that have passed as you may disturb their spirit. Given the Varcoe's background in this circumstance not naming or depicting Trav's sister is the most respectful way to mourn.
Maggie’s a nickname.
Shortened from her real name.
So should be ok.
If there are indigenous posters who can shed more light on these conventions, please contact the mods.

I did not even think of that. Thanks for that-much respect.

Yes, please let us know what is acceptable.
I literally changed and changed it back.

The SBS has a link in regards to their protocols in naming and depicting deceased Indigenous people, which is helpful but not comprehensive. There are a lot of different mobs out there, so it's hard to know the right approach, but suppressing the name seems to be a safe approach at this stage.

Applause to BIGNEDKELLY for drawing attention to this.

Permission to intrude on your board ....... if I may.
I come in Peace. :peace:

Tragic news and one that has stunned us all in the wider football community.

Sincere condolences to The Varcoe Family and also to the Collingwood faithful. :praying:

I for one will be at the game next Saturday and I will be giving Travis a standing ovation should he play in that game, as will many West Coast supporters.

We have a thread on our board devoted to acknowledging the tragic passing of Maggie :rose:.
Believe me the brotherhood and sisterhood of all football followers is strong.

Football supporters are tribal by nature but I would like to think we have more in common that what separates us, we all fell your pain and we would like to be of support at this awful time.

All the best guys we feel your pain.

Ingeniokinetic

Debutant
Jun 1, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Entire football world just cares about the Varcoes today (and for as long as is needed), there is no club, just people who love football. Also sending caring thoughts to her friends, the Angle Vale club mates, the opposition and wider Adelaide football community touched by this terrible accident. Will be very emotional watching the next time Travis plays as well.

The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long

― Lao Tzu, Te Tao Ching

Back