News Varcoe's sister R.I.P. Our thoughts with Trav & family

Remove this Banner Ad

Maggie’s a nickname.
Shortened from her real name.
So should be ok.
If there are indigenous posters who can shed more light on these conventions, please contact the mods.
It probably wouldn't be okay since often it your nickname your most known as most but the Varcoe family might not even practice this tradition. My family is catholic so indigenous spirituality is practiced very little in mine so this wouldn't matter.

Her name has been used in articles on the AFL website etc. and I haven't heard any complaints from the Varcoe family so I can't really see them having a problem with her name being acknowledged on an internet thread full of condolences.

Just read in the paper today that they will be retiring her number 1 jumper at her Club.

Maybe Travis can wear that number against WC if he plays.

RIP Maggie Varcoe

Just read in the paper today that they will be retiring her number 1 jumper at her Club.

Maybe Travis can wear that number against WC if he plays.

RIP Maggie Varcoe
If this is something Travis would feel to do, it sounds a touching idea.

Very very tragic and sad.

Could we chang the thread title to read “Maggie Varcoe" rather than “Varcoe’s sister”? Seems more respectful to me.

That was originally done, but a poster reasonably suggested that we follow ‘Sorry business’ protocol of not using the person’s name out of respect for Varcoe’s indigenous culture.

Not everybody here would see that as intuitive or appropriate, but we’ve taken a ‘respect is in the eye of the beholder’ approach.

That was originally done, but a poster reasonably suggested that we follow ‘Sorry business’ protocol of not using the person’s name out of respect for Varcoe’s indigenous culture.

Not everybody here would see that as intuitive or appropriate, but we’ve taken a ‘respect is in the eye of the beholder’ approach.
Yes probably best to err on the side of caution.

Condolences to Travis Varcoe and the family for the loss of his sister. Such a tragedy to loose a sister at a young age. Prayers, condolences to the family.

It probably wouldn't be okay since often it your nickname your most known as most but the Varcoe family might not even practice this tradition. My family is catholic so indigenous spirituality is practiced very little in mine so this wouldn't matter.

Her name has been used in articles on the AFL website etc. and I haven't heard any complaints from the Varcoe family so I can't really see them having a problem with her name being acknowledged on an internet thread full of condolences.

Her father has spoken about her and allowed her image to be published, so presuambly they are comfortable with people overlooking aboriginal cultural tradition and still referring to her by her first name. Always hard to know how to be respectful in this situation.

Condolences to the Varcoe family on this tragic loss.

My heart goes out to Travis and his family on what can only be imagined to be a time of deep pain and loss. I heard Bucks on the radio saying that life and family is bigger than football, that whatever Travis wishes to do will be respected and honoured and that the club is wrapping their arms around him and caring for him as a person. It was well said and I hope Travis knows that we in the broader Collingwood family feel the same way.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When I first saw it reported in the morning, her name and image were not used, by the evening news they were naming and showing her image. ABC news stated that the family had given permission.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any word yet on scheduling for the funeral. I'm sure a lot of people from both the cats and the pies would like to attend if able.

This is an amazing quote from an article in the Sunday Age that seems poignant (https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle...ic-flight-of-the-magpies-20180830-p500mw.html)

“Magpies, formally dressed in black, are one of the few birds that hold funerals. When a magpie dies, fellow magpies squawk at high volume - encouraging others from the surrounding area to rush to the scene. Researchers have found that magpies gather around - and fall silent for a few seconds - conducting a wake of sorts for their lost friend."

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was in yesterday's paper. Thoughts go out to Travis and the Varcoe family.. :'(

BYacMGtsLtCT_F79jstb1TrRMK0PkADEc_f4PcMT62V8FCzfZqlJqm2kq-3iNzfKiYokD7GknxNrNBWLFf1E1GIrF-fTIOpPN-PwwcqFVzUPEQ5C8ERWMa3vUftb99I4tyS0uFihmJICiKb3DERR3XvU-3SLwuLj6dgxWe78VUGoV4JfXLlQb7ZiRMToAQMmUkH5ms6LLuINwtBCSZfGY7KDILGGcBnIqZWH5AIJ4rlrQJftXj6KveD3lPJ8EZ189He1BZ-rhVAMWDrBQNpKbpKlWBGo2zT_dkbtHIVXpS0nsB1BhQ0UCHIghwf-fQiq4VMzrJ7LBMg0eRxQXaviZkHRIBfT2lvBXuSbWUEVZCqxpvmOdrCu-Hf6NTqc92XdFOh9-fSyInqtVSMcBxiRb-yUVc6eDTc_fV4vhPVLU_9_OXogbo5yvrZCZ6nlQGehjPZfgOBpro7gISvTMf9X2Qf6Noq2ym8nBBVdWAu2mOFnZcv1BK1uLRE6Z2BP6-jezmIajZfJq4agfOgdic6O3PLXDGCoAnrmMlyUnzhzERvbbDNQugngkBr6T8ZbaobCuNhSqwIfHphNl6kG8k9q9qHft8a_FHIYwBAOJ1JPkNbWdnXicgz9nj4ktubXzUbO=w474-h631-no

I am glad to see that players regard for each other transcends club loyalties.

Tragic news for both the Varcoe and Sloane families.

Captain Cotch's call to honour grieving mates

A CALL from Richmond captain Trent Cotchin was the catalyst that will see all players in AFL Finals this weekend pay tribute to the loss suffered by two of the game's stars.

All players in action in the first week of the finals will wear two black armbands.

Players will be acknowledging the memory of Margaret Varcoe, sister of Travis Varcoe and Leo Sloane, baby son of Rory Sloane.

League chief Gillon McLachlan said the entire AFL industry's thoughts were with the two families after their tragic losses.

“Some things go so far above this game we play and everything that goes with it,” McLachlan said.

AFLPA boss Paul Marsh said Cotchin instigated the move.

“Rory and Travis are two very popular members of the playing group and this gesture, albeit small, shows the level of respect players from across the competition have for each other,” Marsh said.

“I would like to also acknowledge Trent Cotchin who instigated this action.

"He contacted Gillon and I on Friday to float the idea and ask whether we could organise the players and clubs.

“Our thoughts continue to be with Rory and Travis and we’re here to support them now and into the future.”

Last edited:
Nice photo...…….I hope you're BOG on Saturday Travis.

Collingwood rallied around Varcoe following family tragedy: Crisp
By SEN an hour ago
TR040918MD105.JPG

Collingwood defender Jack Crisp says the entire football club successfully rallied around Travis Varcoe after the tragic death of his sister Margaret.

Varcoe, 27, passed away last Thursday night after a freak accident while playing in an Adelaide Football League women’s Grand Final.

Crisp says the unconditional support for the grieving Magpie assisted him in returning to the club with the hope of dealing with the loss of his sister, while playing in Saturday night’s Qualifying Final against West Coast.

“The club as a whole rallied around Trav as much as we could,” Crisp told SEN’s KB and The Doc.

“It was good to see him back at training the other day. He came back because he said we were like his second family as a lot of other players would feel at a football club.

“He got all the support from all of us and I think he’s just looking forward to try and maybe put it behind him soon and get himself right for the game because he’s very keen to play.

“He knows that’s what his family and more importantly his sister would love him to do.”

Varcoe notified the club early this week of his desire to travel to Perth and play in Saturday night’s blockbuster clash against the Eagles

Phenomenal effort from Varcoe last night. To stand there during that minutes silence must have been heart breaking for him. Then to perform the way he did was truly inspirational.

You’re a legend Trav!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back