Vardy and Hickey together - what is the point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eagles rule

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS
Vardy wouldnt be so bad if he could hold his marks and Hickey returning from injury lacking match condition ..

Not too much of a problem still on 8 WINS and 4 losses

the problem was after losing Yeo , Sydney decided to tag both Shuey and Gaff in the midfield ...

AFL Club
West Coast
NN return can't come soon enough. Darling and Allen both do a better job and they're not even rucks.
I wonder if Hickey just had an off game, is a bit out of sorts or is as bad as some people say.

Our inconsistent rucking has cost us more than a few times this year.

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Both are way below standard. Vardy shouldn't be playing. After the bye I wouldn't mind seeing NN/Allen rucking a 60/40 split.
Doubt whether Nic will be up to being the main ruck with his lack of fitness due to ACL. We shouldn't really expect too much of Nic for the first few weeks I wouldn't think?

frenchconnection

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
NN return can't come soon enough. Darling and Allen both do a better job and they're not even rucks.
I wonder if Hickey just had an off game, is a bit out of sorts or is as bad as some people say.

Our inconsistent rucking has cost us more than a few times this year.
Probably just a bit of rust as he hasn't played much over the past few weeks.

archiemoses

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Other clubs pick up Jarrod Witts for scraps and turns into a dominant ruck. We are getting what we deserve for the scraps we pay

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KERRPOW

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Even simmo has said we are just waiting for nic.

There is no way nic.will be able to play as the no.1 ruck. Will be on managed minutes when he returns

Likely to play as a fwd ruck, with hickey as the main ruck.

Vardy can **** off and find some form in the WAFL.

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Check out the trade thread. Our ruck stocks are fine.
I'm guessing by the fact I got a notification saying you'd quoted me in this you've done a sneaky edit but I suppose you're referring to my posts where I said I don't want an old, over the hill, more-often-that-not-injured ruckman, whilst also ignoring the several posts I made saying I'd prefer us to get a young ruck to develop. In fact I actually said a few times that we need to focus on midfielders and a ruck and nothing else this off-season.
I just didn't like your sh|tty Kreuzer suggestion.

Truckosaurus

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Both look more comfortable out there without the other playing.

Given Naitanui's 30 next year and has done two ACLs, this would also be a good time to look at recruiting a long-term ruck prospect. I know we have Williams but you can't guarantee he'll work out, as a ruck or a player.

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast

Given Naitanui's 30 next year and has done two ACLs, this would also be a good time to look at recruiting a long-term ruck prospect. I know we have Williams but you can't guarantee he'll work out, as a ruck or a player.
No no, we should get another over 30 ruckman with a dubious injury history instead.

For what it's worth I reckon Williams will make it but he's going to need a couple of years at least to develop in the WAFL.

new breed

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast

B Williams is talented and should make AFL grade easily I would have thought but our ruck stocks are very iffy as NicNat is returning after a second ACL also .

I can't watch !!

Candiru

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm guessing by the fact I got a notification saying you'd quoted me in this you've done a sneaky edit but I suppose you're referring to my posts where I said I don't want an old, over the hill, more-often-that-not-injured ruckman, whilst also ignoring the several posts I made saying I'd prefer us to get a young ruck to develop. In fact I actually said a few times that we need to focus on midfielders and a ruck and nothing else this off-season.
I just didn't like your sh|tty Kreuzer suggestion.
So who plays ruck next year? Nothing to worry about?

All well and good to draft/develop an 19-year-old ruckman but that won't help us in 2020-21.

Last edited:

Damon_3388

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Interestingly, Hickey is averaging 4.63 clearances per game in just 70.50% gametime, which is more than Naitanui (one of the better clearance ruckmen going around, when fit) has ever averaged in a single season (NN's best being 4.05 in 2010, and 4.04 in 2015). He has some value in the ruck, albeit being pretty mediocre in the tap department.

Vardy is poor as a ruckman, and is better served playing as a forward the majority of the time. The Eagles need to decide whether they prefer Vardy or Allen in that third tall forward/second ruck role, because playing both (with Vardy primarily as a ruck) isn't working.

Top Bottom