Vardy and Hickey together - what is the point?

KERRPOW

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 28, 2008
in a town near you
AFL Club
West Coast
Interestingly, Hickey is averaging 4.63 clearances per game in just 70.50% gametime, which is more than Naitanui (one of the better clearance ruckmen going around, when fit) has ever averaged in a single season (NN's best being 4.05 in 2010, and 4.04 in 2015). He has some value in the ruck, albeit being pretty mediocre in the tap department.

Vardy is poor as a ruckman, and is better served playing as a forward the majority of the time. The Eagles need to decide whether they prefer Vardy or Allen in that third tall forward/second ruck role, because playing both (with Vardy primarily as a ruck) isn't working.

Dont know if youve watched much wce ges this year but vardy has been poor all.year.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm guessing by the fact I got a notification saying you'd quoted me in this you've done a sneaky edit but I suppose you're referring to my posts where I said I don't want an old, over the hill, more-often-that-not-injured ruckman, whilst also ignoring the several posts I made saying I'd prefer us to get a young ruck to develop. In fact I actually said a few times that we need to focus on midfielders and a ruck and nothing else this off-season.
I just didn't like your sh|tty Kreuzer suggestion.

I got one also. Who dare enter Candirus drafting and trading megathread, for those banned on BigCandi. It's turned into a self fulfilling echo chamber.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Doesn't work. If Vardy can't take his grabs, he is a liability.

I think the club and Vardy agreed to bulk him up over the offseason knowing he could be leading the ruck for much of 2019. It hasnt worked. He looks slow and tired carrying around those extra kgs. He, isnt jumping as well and Id say this is why he isnt taking as many marks. He's lost mobility and now confidence.

I really feel / hope by finals we can play with Nic who takes the centre bounces and plays 50 -60% and Oscar, Darling, Gov and Barrass support him forward and back.

People keep saying Nic has never rucked alone. But they forget that Oscar, Darling, Gov and Barrass are capable in carrying 50% of the load. We have never done that before either.

mattyc75

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 5, 2010
over here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
,west perthgolden state warriors
Both serve a purpose,vardy helped win us a flag just last season and hickey was brought in as temporary cover for nic nat.
Personally I'd like brooksby to get a run partnering hickey or nic nat when hes back.hes going to take more marks and provide more up forward if needed
Not sure if williams will end up as a ruck or forward but hes got potential.
Cant see us making a huge offer to lure english home with kelly and potentially coniglio available.
Chuck another young beanpole on the rookie list this year

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

This is the worst season Vardy has every played in his entire 10 year career.

I won't even bother quoting statistics to highlight just how bad he has been, I've been doing that just about every week since round 3.

The blame falls on Simpson. Been getting prickly about Vardy to the media all year, but you can't defend the indefensible Adam.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
This is the worst season Vardy has every played in his entire 10 year career.

I won't even bother quoting statistics to highlight just how bad he has been, I've been doing that just about every week since round 3.

The blame falls on Simpson. Been getting prickly about Vardy to the media all year, but you can't defend the indefensible Adam.

There is no benefit from a coach throwing a player under the bus either publicly or behind closed doors.

The $1,000,000 question is why not try Brooksby?

Does the club have data that indicates he just wouldnt compete at AFL level?

What?

There is no benefit from a coach throwing a player under the bus either publicly or behind closed doors.

The $1,000,000 question is why not try Brooksby?

Does the club have data that indicates he just wouldnt compete at AFL level?

What?

Repeating "it's not Vardy's job to take marks or win much of the ball" ad nauseam to the media probably doesn't help either.

Failing to see the point of recruiting Brooksby if we're just going to ignore is exceptional WAFL form whilst we carry Vardy week in week out.

Too late for Keegan now IMO. Nicnat returning is just going to punt him even further down the pecking order.

Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Keegan married Abbey Holmes ..he's already won who cares about playing AFL now .

Edit Brooksby is still a chance but we're rewarding our premiership players and we are a loyal club .

Figure09

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks for last year vardy you should go and be asked to be traded. Brooksby should be given a chance. Read this message MC and Adam Simpson. I reckon I would have played better than Vardy this season

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Doesn't work. If Vardy can't take his grabs, he is a liability.
Vardy takes himself out of every contest when he launches, drops the footy and goes to ground. He should watch how Kennedy crashes the pack only when there's numbers around the footy, otherwise he outbodies and outleads the opponent for the 1on1s.

He's a complete liability if he doesn't create a contest.

Makka

Premiership Player
Aug 25, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think once Nic comes back Vardy will find it hard to get a spot. Last week against the Bulldogs was his best game for the year. He has been really average. I don't like both he and Hickey in the same team. Hickey seems to offer more but was pretty rusty yesterday after coming back in.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm not going to go on a rant. Take our team out of it.

If he was putting up these performances in the WAFL, a neutral would say it's even sub-par for that and drop him to the reserves.

Has to be playing injured or like someone else mentioned, bulked up. Anything else just doesn't make sense.

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
I don't know how the player ratings thing works, but Vardy's rated higher overall than Rioli, Sheppard, Hutchings, Cole, and Ryan.

Hickey and Vardy are rated the 17th and 18th best ruckmen in the AFL respectively. St Kilda, GWS, and Western Bulldogs are the only teams with a ruck not rated higher.

I don't get why we're propping up a weakness rather than playing to our strengths.

Back