Vardy and Hickey together - what is the point?

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been poor for a number of years, save a couple of games. He's rubbish as a ruckman.

He was fantastic last year. WAs taking regular grabs in the F50 and converting for goals. Now that has dried up, he is being questioned. Have to put trust in the match committee as to whether he can regain the forward 50 pressure.

Regardless of their form, i'm not sure why anyone has an issue. NN is now back and it's just a debate over who is 2nd ruck. NN is best in bursts and what a urst player he is - we can now look forward to a massive surge in CBD dominance. Expect a roller coaster second half to the season now that NN is back.

That's not really ruckwork though, is it?

As I indicated, he's a decent forward, but a poor ruckman.

Unless you're a NN, Gawn or Grundy, you're really just a dinosaur making up the numbers. I don't know why some clubs don't just play the extra midfielder around the ball and forfeit the ruck.

I'm glad Vardy got a week, he has been pretty bad lately and needs a break as his current form isn't up to AFL standard. Also glad we are getting a bye next week, it just brings us closer to the return of Nat.

I don't know how the player ratings thing works, but Vardy's rated higher overall than Rioli, Sheppard, Hutchings, Cole, and Ryan.

Hickey and Vardy are rated the 17th and 18th best ruckmen in the AFL respectively. St Kilda, GWS, and Western Bulldogs are the only teams with a ruck not rated higher.

I don't get why we're propping up a weakness rather than playing to our strengths.

I don't think anyone knows how the player ratings work.

Champion data does a lot of good things and their analysts are interesting to listen to when they provide more nuance and context to stats.

But their player ratings system is utterly pointless. It makes sense for high possession midfielders and rucks, but that's about it.

How come when we won 5-0 just recently Vardy was the sole ruckman .....I'm confused again !!

GC, Saints, Dees, Crows and Dogs...I'd suggest we'd have won all those with Hickey solo rucking too.

But it is an interesting point. Could be because our mids set up to lose the tap when Vardy is rucking. If it works then that may be the way to go.

Personally i really rate some of Hickeys ruckwork, and think it could become a real weapon. May take a while to get a proper connection with the mids. I really think when NN comes back he'll spend majority of his time up fwd with very small stints in the ruck and Hickey doing the bulk of the ruckwork.

Nekminnut Simpson challenges Vardys ban, Vardy gets off and we back him in vs Essendon...
tumblr_inline_ml2z63oTyZ1qz4rgp.gif

At this stage, I'm worried about NN's longevity.
I really hope his return is not cut short.
We need both Hicks+Vards to deliver...and they both have in patches (like the Eagles)
Either together or solo...and prep another primary ruckman?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Williams looks like the forward/2nd ruck option , had 27 hitouts against WP

Ideally we need to draft a young ruckman similar to T English or Jackson this draft .....but we need T Kelly or similar so no drafting options so Williams is an option .

I legitimately believe Bailey Williams would have performed better than Vardy has if we played him this past month.

Bailey doesn't set the world on fire in the WAFL, he's still raw AF... but Vardy is a complete potato in 2019.

We've got our new FWD/RCK for the next 10 years hopefully, let's look to the future please Simmo.

Last edited:
Vardy can't mark the ball now so he is worthless as a ruck forward, let alone the fact that he struggles to get 10 hit outs against anyone that isn't a kid.

O Allen would have to ruck a lot more in tandem with Nic Nat. Not sure if that is ideal. Hickey is a better ruckman but I have never seen him play forward effectively. Williams in 2 years time will be ideal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back