Vegan and Vegetarian Diets

Remove this Banner Ad

13619988_578845385623428_6231359619746735438_n.jpg

Now you're actually engaging. I appreciate that.

I'm about to go to bed so I'll make this short:

Omega3/6:
Good to see you're quoting some real figures :thumbsu:
2-5% conversion of ALA to DHA, and studies have shown that vegans convert a higher level (about 25% more compared to omnivores if they're not overdoing omega 6 which blocks the conversion. I can pull the study if you really want). In essence, yes, vegans should be taking flax seeds and/or chia seeds on a regular basis. 2 or 3 tablespoons a day hidden in other food should do it to get the RDV's.

Please

B12:
Yep, really counter-intuitive that omni's are often b12 deficient but there we go.
Here's an article that explains why.
B12 is a bacteria in soil/fecal matter. Now that animals are often raised without ever having contact with soil, they need to be supplemented too. B12 is actually really hard to absorb from animal sources because it bonds very strongly with animal proteins. From supplement sources is 8-12 times more efficient.
As far as historically, traces of dirt on food and untreated drinking water. About a liter a day of any untreated water will get you all the b12 you need.

Vegan extremest Doctor isn't a reliable source. Obvious biased cherry picking. Check the images used, that's not indicative of an unbiased report.

I agree to be honest, it does make it easier for people to transfer but a diet based around that sort of processed crap isn't healthy. Just as a diet based around the food they replace is equally unhealthy ;)

It is worth differentiating a Plant Based Whole Foods diet PBWF from veganism, as being vegan is not inherently healthy. You can be vegan eating only the above s**t with chips and oreos.

In general research seems to be showing that the closer a diet is to a PBWF philosophy, the healthier (Mediterranean diet, vegetarian diet, vegan diet etc)
This was my literal ******* point which you got pissy about!

Also what's with all this "fake" vegan food? Why eat bacon, sausages, hamburgers, chicken made from plant and disguised as the real thing?

VeganFoodProducts.jpg

Why?
Why not? Why is it an issue for you?

This was my literal ******* point which you got pissy about!
I thought the same when I was reading it

I recognize that there is a difference between what I believe and what I can prove. There simply isn't enough bulk of research currently for me to definitively claim that the exclusion of ALL animal protein is healthier than the exclusion of nearly all.

What I CAN argue convincingly is that excluding all (or nearly all) animal protein is healthier than basing a diet around it.

The newest research coming out around gut flora (bacteria in the gut) also suggests that exclusively plant based diet may be the way to go, but I'm not sure how much that is affected by antibiotics in the animal agriculture industry or whether there are other inherent mechanisms. I believe in a few years there will be some convincing arguments in this field.

In the meantime I'm prepared to take a conciliatory approach. Just don't try to tell me being vegan is inherently unhealthy.

I recognize that there is a difference between what I believe and what I can prove. There simply isn't enough bulk of research currently for me to definitively claim that the exclusion of ALL animal protein is healthier than the exclusion of nearly all.

What I CAN argue convincingly is that excluding all (or nearly all) animal protein is healthier than basing a diet around it.

The newest research coming out around gut flora (bacteria in the gut) also suggests that exclusively plant based diet may be the way to go, but I'm not sure how much that is affected by antibiotics in the animal agriculture industry or whether there are other inherent mechanisms. I believe in a few years there will be some convincing arguments in this field.

In the meantime I'm prepared to take a conciliatory approach. Just don't try to tell me being vegan is inherently unhealthy.
Why did you quote me...I just said you posted almost my exact thoughts? I've never argued being vegan is inherently unhealthy. Was literally the opposite to my point

Can we move on yet?
Sure. As long as you can stop quoting me and arguing against things I'm not saying
Would've just been easier if you agreed with my original post. Instead of arguing with me, then posting the same thoughts pages later :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question. I've been tempted to attempt going vegetarian before, my mum is and growing up we mainly ate chicken, fish, and vegetables. I personally love steak, bacon, chicken (drumsticks are better than breast). I rarely eat steak but I still have chicken, bacon, and tuna a little bit. Now to my question. What is a weekly eating plan like for a vegetarian?

Serious question. I've been tempted to attempt going vegetarian before, my mum is and growing up we mainly ate chicken, fish, and vegetables. I personally love steak, bacon, chicken (drumsticks are better than breast). I rarely eat steak but I still have chicken, bacon, and tuna a little bit. Now to my question. What is a weekly eating plan like for a vegetarian?

I think a lot of people when considering vegetarianism or veganism think of all their favourite dishes and then just mentally remove them without adding anything. Given there are some 80,000 known edible plants variety isn't really an issue, and I actually eat a more diverse, interesting diet now that I'm vegan than I did previously.

As far as a weekly eating plan goes, there are a heap of youtube videos with the "what I eat in a day" type themes, as well as a heap of pretty good recipe blogs.

Here are a few I enjoy:
http://ohsheglows.com/
http://minimalistbaker.com/
http://www.thugkitchen.com/recipes
http://www.veganricha.com/recipes

I can give you anecdotes of what I eat if you're interested, but the reality is that the possibilities are very broad. It is also very rare that you have a previous favourite recipe that you can't edit to make plant based.
(ie milk -> plant milk, butter -> oils, marg or applesauce in baking, cheese -> commercial vegan cheese or nut cheeses etc etc)

Thanks, StiffArm, I'll have a look into it.
Before committing, you're probably best taking it slow, substituting things like the above examples and seeing if you enjoy them. If you go all out and start substituting foods you enjoy, with foods you don't, you won't stick to it.

Any of you vegans tried any of your own milk?

http://metro.co.uk/2016/11/14/vegan...ies-every-morning-to-give-her-energy-6257252/

Certainly one way of getting some much needed vitamin b12

I find it interesting how you still feel the need to troll with outlandish articles, says something about you, but you do raise a really interesting point.

There are many claims of vegans being better in bed floating around, and the reasons behind this. Some have suggested increased ability to empathize resulting in vegans caring more for the needs of their partners, others have attributed it to increased stamina, and reduced instance of erectile dysfunction (maybe time to get some fruit back in your diet), but one of the fundamental reasons that is always brought up is that vegans smell and taste better.

It makes sense that when you're eating your food second hand it might not be as fresh as the first pass, but you're in an especially bad position since your diet not only overloads on all the things that make you smell and taste horrible, but you deliberately cut out all the things that might temper that such as fruits. No sugar in your diet means no sugar in your cum.

Go through a list of tips and it looks like just about everything in your diet of choice is repulsive to anyone that might have the misfortune of giving you a gobbie.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Sperm-Taste---10-Simple-Tips-For-Better-Tasting-Semen&id=164106

I have no issues with vegans.. but I hate people like this that are in the streets harassing people

I get what you're saying, and there are arguments both ways. Personally i'm not a big fan of using shock footage and the cop dealt with it really well to the point I watched. Didn't mind the idea of using VR for those that want to learn, I think people should be aware of the consequences of actions they financially support, and then free to choose as they want.

Something to be mindful of is that with any movement there is a tendency to link it to the radical fringe. Just like anyone supporting nationhood for Palestine is linked with radical terrorism, or feminists are linked to the bra burning, men hating fringe... You'll never hear from the vast majority of vegans.

Ok then... for science.

It's a tough job but someone's gotta do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back