Vegan and Vegetarian Diets

Remove this Banner Ad

Kompany

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 23, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've been trying out eating vegan for 2 weeks now (I've had 2 slices of salmon and 3 eggs in 12 days) and so far I feel it's had a great impact on me. I feel physically better (if you've smoked long term and quit, you may know the feeling), my digestive system feels more relaxed, I'm more alert and surprisingly, my mood has improved significantly - I'm more relaxed, patient, positive... I believe my improved mental state may be a consequence of my body reacting well to eating mostly vegan but who knows.

My main motivation for trying out veganism is health. Now my main reason for not sticking to veganism 100% is also health. I guess now comes a time where I keep listening to my body and continue to inform myself about the vegan diet.

One thing is sure though, I eat more varied than ever before - and I was eating healthy before already. With meat off my plate, I've forced myself to think about nutrition more and try out foods I've never eaten before.

Dec 31, 2015
Santiago, Chile
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've been trying out eating vegan for 2 weeks now (I've had 2 slices of salmon and 3 eggs in 12 days) and so far I feel it's had a great impact on me. I feel physically better (if you've smoked long term and quit, you may know the feeling), my digestive system feels more relaxed, I'm more alert and surprisingly, my mood has improved significantly - I'm more relaxed, patient, positive... I believe my improved mental state may be a consequence of my body reacting well to eating mostly vegan but who knows.

My main motivation for trying out veganism is health. Now my main reason for not sticking to veganism 100% is also health. I guess now comes a time where I keep listening to my body and continue to inform myself about the vegan diet.

One thing is sure though, I eat more varied than ever before - and I was eating healthy before already. With meat off my plate, I've forced myself to think about nutrition more and try out foods I've never eaten before.

Kudos for having an open mind to things.
If you'd like any advice on things like meal plans, recipe blogs, or nutrition info I'm happy to help out.
All the best with it!

Dec 31, 2015
Santiago, Chile
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd like some protein veggie receipes type thingys if anyone's got any.
A man can only eat so much chicken and turkey

There are a bunch of vegan body builders on youtube that put up "what I eat in a day" type videos. Should give you some good ideas and they will often tell you the protein content in each meal which you'll probably be interested in. Once you have the ideas there are no shortage of sites that can assist you in making good tasting food. I think I posted some earlier in this thread. Plant sourced protein will generally be healthier for you too unless you're getting it in highly processed form (ie veg sausages etc)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

P_Cripps

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Look, I have no interest in arguing with you. Veganism is more like a religion than a diet. All I will say is the:

1. the very review you quoted is all about the necessary dietary steps you must take to avoid the pitfalls of a diet inherently low or deficient in iron, zinc, B12, calcium ...

2. your comment about the risks of a meat rich diet tells me all I need to know about your background knowledge.

3. I don't care what Nate Diaz does because that's just an anecdote. N = 1. If we do want to continue down that route, what about all the rest of the elite athletes in the world that are not vegans. It's a pointless argument.

/end

Have you ever considered checking out nutritionfacts.org ?? Unbiased source based off the medical literature that often gets missed by the marketing of huge pharmaceuticals.

P_Cripps

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
For gods sake. A vegan/vegetarian diet is INHERENTLY deficient in B12, low in iron, zinc, calcium (if vegan), folate. The minerals that are available are in the lesser absorbable forms. Not to mention dairy and animal proteins are vastly superior in both absorbaility and animo acid profile than vegetable proteins. Not to mention all the benefits associated with dairy proteins on a while host of health outcomes. Not to mention you are also missing out on preformed omega-3s and have to rely on the body's measly 1-10% conversion of vegetarian omega-3 sources.

No s**t if you SUPPLEMENT everything that's missing then you can have a nutritionally complete vegan diet.

Fight the good fight showdownhero. I've given up trying to reason with vegans years ago. Research is not enough. Facts are not enough. Veganism is a religion. I'm just glad my vegan friends do it for animal welfare reasons, don't force their s**t on everyone and know their diet is inferior.

Nowadays I just sit back and enjoy my delicious steak, and make fun of vegans instead.

Please read up on the medical literature at nutritionfacts.org !! You made so many incorrect statements that I can't address them all but I will try.

B12 - many meat eaters are b12 deficient due to the fact that the soil is becoming depleted. The only way cows get the B12 these days is through an injection which is basically suplementation via the animal.

Iron/Zinc/Calcium - these can be found easily in veggies especially the dark leafy greens. The calcium in dairy has a NET NEGATIVE effect because it is so acidic that it causes the most abundant mineral in your bones, calcium, to be leached to offset this acidity. Why do you think the countries that consume the most dairy and the countries with the highest rate of weak joint conditions(e.g. Osteo perosis).

- the health benefits of dairy?!? Other than biased research pushed by the dairy industry I am yet to find ANY reputable research suggesting that grown men should consume another species breast milk.

1-10% absorption front all vegetarian sources? That's just a lie. Plain and simple.

Don't take my word for it check out nutritionfacts.org

P_Cripps

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Going vegan/vegetarian is purely an ethical choice right? Surely nobody would do it for health benefits.

Look up the study of 'blue zones'. It is the research of the communities with the highest number of people aged over 100. The one correlation? Extremely low consumption of animal products!

P_Cripps

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Unbiased?

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
Yep. I think you will find that a majority of nutrition education and research will have a little disclaimer hidden somewhere saying funded by the dairy industry or the like. Dr Greger and his team read through ever single piece of nutritional literature in the English language over the course of the year (13000+ studies) and on the current balance of evidence have decided that a vegan diet is by far the healthiest. I think if you explore his website and check his sources you will agree.

I have to ask, where do you think this bias is coming from?

P_Cripps

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I am happy if a meat eater can watch Earthlings, Cowspiracy and Dr Greger's talk at google and still eat meat I would never judge or rebut your argument again.

Remember, no one really wants to be vegan and get ridiculed daily, you simply run out of excuses and read the evidence.

P_Cripps

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

My experience exactly. I think for most people cutting down is a great solution.

P_Cripps

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Greger has no qualifications in nutrition, nutritionfacts is just vegan spam
Apart from being a qualified Dr and reading 10s of thousands of pieces of nutritional literature over the years. I think if you listen to him debate, be interviewed or talk you will release he does actually know quite a lot about the thing he has devoted his life to studying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back