Vegan and Vegetarian Diets

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Apart from being a qualified Dr and reading 10s of thousands of pieces of nutritional literature over the years. I think if you listen to him debate, be interviewed or talk you will release he does actually know quite a lot about the thing he has devoted his life to studying.

Greger has no nutrition background. He's published quite a few papers for peer-review, all of them on animal agriculture not nutrition.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
HSUS Doc Exposed as Schlock

If you’re a longtime reader of this blog, you may recall that we’ve discussed oddball Michael Greger. He’s a doctor who works for the Humane Society of the United States, and his job has been to spew vegan propaganda while attaching an “M.D.” to it. He has released a series of video lectures called “Latest in Clinical Nutrition” that serve as a sounding board for Greger to cherry pick studies and shill for veganism. HSUS allows its logo to be on the DVDs, so it wouldn’t surprise us if the organization paid for the production entirely.

Greger’s moved from low-budget DVDs to starting a flashy website called “Nutrition Facts.” Despite the seemingly nonpartisan branding, “Nutrition Facts” until last year was called the “Vegan Research Institute,” so that should tell you what you need to know about the agenda of the site. Whatever Greger calls his project, debunking him simply requires going through the minutiae of the studies he cites. It’s a laborious task, but thankfully someone has done it for us.

https://www.humanewatch.org/hsus_doc_exposed_as_schlock/

P_Cripps

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
HSUS Doc Exposed as Schlock

If you’re a longtime reader of this blog, you may recall that we’ve discussed oddball Michael Greger. He’s a doctor who works for the Humane Society of the United States, and his job has been to spew vegan propaganda while attaching an “M.D.” to it. He has released a series of video lectures called “Latest in Clinical Nutrition” that serve as a sounding board for Greger to cherry pick studies and shill for veganism. HSUS allows its logo to be on the DVDs, so it wouldn’t surprise us if the organization paid for the production entirely.

Greger’s moved from low-budget DVDs to starting a flashy website called “Nutrition Facts.” Despite the seemingly nonpartisan branding, “Nutrition Facts” until last year was called the “Vegan Research Institute,” so that should tell you what you need to know about the agenda of the site. Whatever Greger calls his project, debunking him simply requires going through the minutiae of the studies he cites. It’s a laborious task, but thankfully someone has done it for us.

https://www.humanewatch.org/hsus_doc_exposed_as_schlock/
Thank you for providing a source. I will read through it over the Xmas break and try and figure out the truth!

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond

P_Cripps

Cancelled
Sep 12, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Thank you for providing some reading. The trouble I have found in nutrition is that there seems to be many conflicting sources and studies. One thing will be debunked but then the debunk will be debunked etc etc

I guess the only way to really to tell is to feel how my body feels, try to stay up to date on research and get 6 monthly blood tests to confirm that I am not deficient. All of these I do.

I think the one thing we all can agree on is that everyone could use a little bit more veggies in their diet.

Th
Thank you for providing a source. I will read through it over the Xmas break and try and figure out the truth!
The comments at the bottom of that article alone make me question this article/website.

Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
I am happy if a meat eater can watch Earthlings, Cowspiracy and Dr Greger's talk at google and still eat meat I would never judge or rebut your argument again.

Remember, no one really wants to be vegan and get ridiculed daily, you simply run out of excuses and read the evidence.
I've watched earthlings

vmasco

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2012
Thereabouts
AFL Club
Richmond
Few years ago I was dragged kicking and screaming into a vegan diet by my better half. Don't eat meat at all any more, but have the odd slip up from time to time with dairy. Best shape I've been in since my late teens. Kids are thriving and none of us have needed to see a GP in years.

My wife makes great efforts to ensure we are taking in all the essential nutrients and vitamins with plenty of chia seed, hemp seed, kale, quinoa and the like. We do buy some of the frozen vegan pretend meats but mainly as fillers for traditional meals for me, or lazy nights. They aren't really necessary.

I understand the hostility some have towards a vegan diet. Nearly ended my marriage over it.
My wife first challenged me could i kill the animal that I want to eat I said of course I could.

But similar to others once i looked at the negative health risks of continuing a meat and dairy based diet the choice was simple. I see fat and unhealthy people everywhere - I'm in my forties - look to be in my thirties, run my own tradie business so always active, surf on my days off and go all night in the sack!!:cool: Whats the problem??

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
But similar to others once i looked at the negative health risks of continuing a meat and dairy based diet the choice was simple. I see fat and unhealthy people everywhere - I'm in my forties - look to be in my thirties, run my own tradie business so always active, surf on my days off and go all night in the sack!!:cool: Whats the problem??

They are?

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
What I find weird working in an office is there's quite a few vegans and noone ever really mentions their diet. I bring in a protein shake and a few meals for throughout the day, and got asked why I eat so much, is there something wrong with me, do I have diabetes (apparently chicken, rice, salad etc are diabetic foods)
There's been a shift away from people mocking vegans on the whole

What I find weird working in an office is there's quite a few vegans and noone ever really mentions their diet. I bring in a protein shake and a few meals for throughout the day, and got asked why I eat so much, is there something wrong with me, do I have diabetes (apparently chicken, rice, salad etc are diabetic foods)
Wow, half their luck. I can't have any team lunch at work without it being a huge deal that me and a few others are vegetarian.

DemonTim

Cancelled
10k Posts The Trident - Awarded to posters who do a hell of a lot on the Dees board
Jul 18, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Wow, half their luck. I can't have any team lunch at work without it being a huge deal that me and a few others are vegetarian.
My boss is vegan, so is another manager as well as a fair few staff.
If I turn down a team lunch because they're going somewhere that only serves crap I cop it non stop
Assuming I was diabetic because I was eating "healthy" was probably the worst I got

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

I regularly eat two meals at work, both 200g of meat, heaps of veg, and rice will depend on my body weight. I use to work with a bloke who wondered were all the food went because I ate so much and stayed lean, each of those meals may have had 450-600 calories. He would bring in his kebab or burger and chips for lunch little did he think that he was prbly consuming 50% more calories than me.

......both of us eat meat, but from
Completely different sources and different eating habits....one overweight, smoker and drinker. The other lean, fit, healthy non smoker, sometime drinker

vmasco

Team Captain
Jul 15, 2012
Thereabouts
AFL Club
Richmond
I do with heavily processed meats, but "normal" natural meat and dairy... No. Enlighten me
and thats the problem its almost impossible nowadays to get "normal" natural meat and dairy. I'm not blaming meat or dairy per se if that is what you are getting at, because yes there are plenty of reports coming out that there is no clear evidence that meat and dairy directly contribute to bowel cancer, heart disease, etc. One argument i am hearing is that since industrialisation of the animal food industry somewhere along the line there is some sort of intervention in their production (feeding supplements to livestock, herbicides, pesticides, preservatives) and this may be a factor in why there has been such an increase in these health issues.

If it were possible to produce natural unadulterated meat and dairy in a humane, sustainable manner yet still make a profit then most producers would do it. Whether or not it is the foods causing the issues or something else I now choose to avoid it due not only for health reasons but also ethics and environment. But thats a conversation for another thread I would have thought.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
......both of us eat meat, but from
Completely different sources and different eating habits....one overweight, smoker and drinker. The other lean, fit, healthy non smoker, sometime drinker

And yet he's likely more typical of the sort of person those studies linking meat to cancer would use.

Back