Vegan and Vegetarian Diets

Remove this Banner Ad

Few years ago I was dragged kicking and screaming into a vegan diet by my better half. Don't eat meat at all any more, but have the odd slip up from time to time with dairy. Best shape I've been in since my late teens. Kids are thriving and none of us have needed to see a GP in years.

My wife makes great efforts to ensure we are taking in all the essential nutrients and vitamins with plenty of chia seed, hemp seed, kale, quinoa and the like. We do buy some of the frozen vegan pretend meats but mainly as fillers for traditional meals for me, or lazy nights. They aren't really necessary.

I understand the hostility some have towards a vegan diet. Nearly ended my marriage over it.
My wife first challenged me could i kill the animal that I want to eat I said of course I could.

But similar to others once i looked at the negative health risks of continuing a meat and dairy based diet the choice was simple. I see fat and unhealthy people everywhere - I'm in my forties - look to be in my thirties, run my own tradie business so always active, surf on my days off and go all night in the sack!!:cool: Whats the problem??
Nice man

I've had back/weight issues for a few years and to help with the weight loss (what I gained from being inactive with the back) I knew I had to change the diet, so I talked to my brother who's a vegan earlier in the year and been a vegetarian since May. I eat eggs and dairy when I feel I need a protein hit once or twice a week, but for lunch/tea I largely eat vegies, soy schnitzels/vegie burgers or bean/lentil meals (soups like minestrone are a great meal option imo) as I'm not the biggest fan of salad. Mushrooms are great too as meat replacements.

Going to gym 4-5 days a week now (mix of bike, weights and swimming but mainly bike and weights), walk normally on days off, still fairly heavy but my energy levels have significantly increased and am regaining some old strength again that I lost with the time out, hopefully the kilos fall off next year but I'm pretty optimistic they will.

Nice man

I've had back/weight issues for a few years and to help with the weight loss (what I gained from being inactive with the back) I knew I had to change the diet, so I talked to my brother who's a vegan earlier in the year and been a vegetarian since May. I eat eggs and dairy when I feel I need a protein hit once or twice a week, but for lunch/tea I largely eat vegies, soy schnitzels/vegie burgers or bean/lentil meals (soups like minestrone are a great meal option imo) as I'm not the biggest fan of salad. Mushrooms are great too as meat replacements.

Going to gym 4-5 days a week now (mix of bike, weights and swimming but mainly bike and weights), walk normally on days off, still fairly heavy but my energy levels have significantly increased and am regaining some old strength again that I lost with the time out, hopefully the kilos fall off next year but I'm pretty optimistic they will.

Good stuff on changing your eating habits for a healthy life style. I am a big believer of finding a diet/training lifestyle that suits you and will work, that's your best chance at succeeding.

All I will say is dieting is more about what you stop eating than what you start eating. People rarely go from a good diet to another style if diet, they generally go from a bad diet to a complete opposite style of eating, hence why they claim diet X is good after such significant changes early on.

^^this is just me making a point in general, I can sense your post was more about your story than the meat vs. non meat debate in this thread.

Good luck with it all in 2017!

Nice man

Good stuff on changing your eating habits for a healthy life style. I am a big believer of finding a diet/training lifestyle that suits you and will work, that's your best chance at succeeding.

All I will say is dieting is more about what you stop eating than what you start eating. People rarely go from a good diet to another style if diet, they generally go from a bad diet to a complete opposite style of eating, hence why they claim diet X is good after such significant changes early on.

^^this is just me making a point in general, I can sense your post was more about your story than the meat vs. non meat debate in this thread.

Good luck with it all in 2017!

i see the djokovic is planning on opening a vegan shop in melbourne.

already has one in monte carlo.

so there all you doubters.

the greater djoker is committed.:p

i see the djokovic is planning on opening a vegan shop in melbourne.

already has one in monte carlo.

so there all you doubters.

the greater djoker is committed.:p

He's been quoted as eating fish every day lol

He's been quoted as eating fish every day lol
Yeah, he's not vegan, as u said he eats fish, the only thing keeping him from getting the vegan tag. He also stays away from gluten.

But the point was about him thinking about opening his second vegan restaurant, and not so much the odd sardine...

Yeah, he's not vegan, as u said he eats fish, the only thing keeping him from getting the vegan tag. He also stays away from gluten.

But the point was about him thinking about opening his second vegan restaurant, and not so much the odd sardine...
That says more about supply and demand than anything

Just ripping a smoothy down - 1 banana, heap of frozen blue berries, a heap of baby spinach and a small amount of water. I really gotta recommend the Nutri Bullet 1000, smooth as.
Going down a treat, 40C in Adelaide.

i used to use the nutri bullet 1000, went through 2 of them in a week, before that i had around the 700 watt for a year or so with no problems. i now use the nutri ninja 1000 auto iq and i like it a lot better, blends it up finer with less lumpy bits and it slips into the go position easier.

my preferred mix every morning- garlic, ginger, spinach, berries (frozen), avocado, banana, raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water (not tap water, filtered rain water).

i used to use the nutri bullet 1000, went through 2 of them in a week, before that i had around the 700 watt for a year or so with no problems. i now use the nutri ninja 1000 auto iq and i like it a lot better, blends it up finer with less lumpy bits and it slips into the go position easier.

my preferred mix every morning- garlic, ginger, spinach, berries (frozen), avocado, banana, raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar and water (not tap water, filtered rain water).
Damn. I've been loving my machine, but I'll keep that in mind. Cool blend btw. And yeah, bugger that tap water.

I'm vegan for over a year! This is a very cool feel healthy! I took the hard way, I learned a lot of useful information and can give advice, if you are interested in)) For beginners I suggest to start with simple and understandable articles about how to be a vegan, what are the risks and what to take Witomino))

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm vegan for over a year! This is a very cool feel healthy! I took the hard way, I learned a lot of useful information and can give advice, if you are interested in)) For beginners I suggest to start with simple and understandable articles about how to be a vegan, what are the risks and what to take Witomino))

To be honest I don't think that overly simplistic articles like the one quoted are of too much assistance. If simple and understandable is what you're after then I would suggest some visual resources that answer specific questions such as this channel on Youtube.

If it is reasons for veganism that people are interested in I suggest these videos:
James Aspey speech.

I went vegan a bit over a year ago after watching this speech by Gary Yourofsky. To be honest the guy comes across as a bit of a dick but the arguments he made trashed mine, so my views changed.

I've gone vegan whilst travelling and then living in one of the countries least adapted to it (Chile), and it has been FAR easier than I thought it would be. I don't miss anything and I'm in fantastic health and no longer feel any of the cognitive dissonance associated with acting outside of my morality.

If one believes that unnecessary animal cruelty is wrong, they are already a vegan at heart since it is easy to survive and thrive without animal products.

sub-buzz-16068-1470595353-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

To be honest I don't think that overly simplistic articles like the one quoted are of too much assistance. If simple and understandable is what you're after then I would suggest some visual resources that answer specific questions such as this channel on Youtube.

If it is reasons for veganism that people are interested in I suggest these videos:
James Aspey speech.

I went vegan a bit over a year ago after watching this speech by Gary Yourofsky. To be honest the guy comes across as a bit of a dick but the arguments he made trashed mine, so my views changed.

I've gone vegan whilst travelling and then living in one of the countries least adapted to it (Chile), and it has been FAR easier than I thought it would be. I don't miss anything and I'm in fantastic health and no longer feel any of the cognitive dissonance associated with acting outside of my morality.

If one believes that unnecessary animal cruelty is wrong, they are already a vegan at heart since it is easy to survive and thrive without animal products.
images (6).jpg

i do a lot of scrolling through google/you tube/pubmed/BF- H,F,T and N threads and related links re diet related issues. this guy Dr. Michael Greger makes the best case for a vegan lifestyle that i have ever seen. well worth a look IMO.

http://nutritionfacts.org/

this short video explains how he goes about his research and advice, very impressive.

note- i am not and have never been vegan or vegetarian. currently following LCHF but am open to other dietary methods.

i have read a few debunking and supporting articles re Greger and nutritionfacts-

http://blogs.mcgill.ca/oss/2013/10/15/dr-michael-greger-what-do-we-make-of-him/

https://www.humanewatch.org/hsus_doc_exposed_as_schlock/

also there is a lot of stuff on pubmed re the benefits of the vegan/vegetarian diet. i do not pay for any of the full articles so i only read the abstracts unless the article is free.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=health+effects+of+vegan+diets

edit- you can just about debunk anything if you look hard or long enough, there is a plethora of dietary information out there and we all are prone to confirmation bias to varying levels, me included IMO. i have seen/read lots of articles espousing the benefits of LCHF/paleo/vegan/vegetarian etc...

you have to decide for yourself what is best for you in the long run. the vegan option appeals to me on the animal welfare issue alone without taking into account any possible side health benefits or otherwise.
this is an interesting read ie. against veganism from a pro vegan- http://robgreenfield.tv/vegan/

Last edited:
This article speaks the truth. Even when I was vego and testing the vegan waters long ago, I found his videos to be just bizarre. He floats from subject to subject so aimlessly like a child with ADHD but slowly and calmly so it sounds reasoned. But they're just verbal sounding board videos without any real science involved. Yes he'll reference pubmed articles but he blatantly omits any articles or narratives within articles that conflict with his ideology.
And if you're in any doubt, try posing a question on any of the threads on his FB page, his pseudoscience minions don't hold back when a headline article is questioned for it's claims or it's shocking clickbait motivated headline.

This article speaks the truth. Even when I was vego and testing the vegan waters long ago, I found his videos to be just bizarre. He floats from subject to subject so aimlessly like a child with ADHD but slowly and calmly so it sounds reasoned. But they're just verbal sounding board videos without any real science involved. Yes he'll reference pubmed articles but he blatantly omits any articles or narratives within articles that conflict with his ideology.
And if you're in any doubt, try posing a question on any of the threads on his FB page, his pseudoscience minions don't hold back when a headline article is questioned for it's claims or it's shocking clickbait motivated headline.
thanks for the feedback N66. it seems that even on pubmed you can find an article to support or disprove any theory re the diet.

i think most would agree though that the average western diet contains too much meat, processed food and drink and not enough fruit and vegetables particularly greens. currently i eat roughly 70-80% fruits/veges/nuts and 20-30% meat/eggs/dairy.

thanks for the feedback N66. it seems that even on pubmed you can find an article to support or disprove any theory re the diet.

i think most would agree though that the average western diet contains too much meat, processed food and drink and not enough fruit and vegetables particularly greens. currently i eat roughly 70-80% fruits/veges/nuts and 20-30% meat/eggs/dairy.
I think the thing to take out of this is - that the studies don't often wage diets against each other, and when they do, it's to do with a very specific aspect or detail - which doesn't paint the whole story. Unfortunately all that does is serve to fuel peoples confirmation biases to say that **** diet is superior to all others based on a very small, arbitrary detail.
ALL diets have their ups & downs, and despite what people say, they ALL suit an ideology. But all diets that are built on a foundation of 'wholefoods' will always be superior to diet of processed crap, there are just many, many diets that suit this narrative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back