News & Events Vegan protests shut down Melbourne's CBD - Have protests gone too far?

Remove this Banner Ad

The videos need to be seen. There are animals that suffer unnecessarily. But they need to be taken with a grain of salt, and viewed in the context of broader data as to what is going on overall.

One video of a cop bashing someone up doesn't mean we ban the police. But we watch them closely, particularly if overall evidence suggests there is an endemic problem.

The hard line that eating animals is wrong is a moral stance that you'll either take or reject. The in between is where an intelligent discussion should be happening. We aren't having much luck with that at the moment.

I myself am a vegetarian and have seen and get highly distressed by those videos. I think that people should be able to chose what they're exposed to regarding videos like this.
Most people have no idea of how abattoirs operate though.It's kept away from people by the industry ,people should know where their food comes from imo.

Most people have no idea of how abattoirs operate though.It's kept away from people by the industry ,people should know where their food comes from imo.
To be fair, I went vegetarian nearly 5 years ago after being exposed to them aged 11. It terrified me. Shocking content. Most people wouldn't be able to ever eat meat again of they saw those videos. Those videos shocked me so much that I don't think that anyone should have to see it. I think that they should be more publicly available but not compulsory watching. The meat industry is one of secrecy and these videos being publicly available is a good thing. However I don't think they should be shoved down our throats.

Bottom line. The videos are a good recourse to have to be able to make your decision regarding your stance on meat but they are extremely distressing to some people. Because of this everyone will have different stances on the videos

I don’t agree with their views but they certainly got everyone’s attention, which was the point all along.
It was on every social feed for every news outlet and I think they all also showed it on that box thing in the lounge room.

Translation I'm happy for people to protest unless it's against something I like, then they should go to jail

try tweaking those comprehension skills, I don't agree with most protests, but you have the right to protest.

but if you don't do it peacefully, or with the right permit or damage property, or you go out of your way to inconvience people.; These vegans did pretty much all of these; you pay a large fine and a week in jail.

I agree. That is why I purchase organic meats where I know the animal has been treated humanely. Might be hard to make the industry more sustainable whilst at the same time cheap for the consumer though.
Most organic meat is processed in the same facilities.

I don’t mind them protesting but taking food from their hands in a restaurant is a bit much. But honestly I’m thinking of going vegetarian. I think the way we treat animals in this country leaves a lot to be desired.

Not looking for a SRP type blue at all, but as I'm a farmer, would you explain this theory of yours please?
Just how do we 'treat' our animals in your view?

You can't stop people eating meat but you can show some respect to the animals by letting them have access to grass and a humane death.At the moment they all line up together and get slaughtered one by one with the waiting cows in absolute panic.It can be done a lot better.It should be mandatory for year 10 students to visit an abbatoir. This modern disconnection from food sources makes it easy for slaughterers to do everything as cheap as possible without any consequences.

Tell us how it can be done better? (This should be good as you're a certified loon on SRP).

People espousing their preference for organic meat, which is fine, don't seem to understand that it is also slaughtered and processed in the same abattoirs as non-organic certified meat.

Most organic meat is processed in the same facilities.

Some yes, but not most. That is why I make sure I know how they are processed before I buy the product. In the end of the day there is no pretty way to slaughter an animal. Those are just the facts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some yes, but not most. That is why I make sure I know how they are processed before I buy the product. In the end of the day there is no pretty way to slaughter an animal. Those are just the facts.

Just where exactly are they slaughtered and processed?
And considering there are stringent procedures for slaughter in every abattoir in Australia, how are they processed differently?

I don't expect someone complaining about global warming to live in a tent or an Aboriginal person to throw out their glasses and medicine before they comment on racism and discrimination.
That’s because you really know that a gas that makes up 400 parts per million of the atmosphere couldn’t possibly alter the planets temperature.
I know you’re not that stupid. Or I’d like to think that anyway.

I'd say that it was a success, blanket press coverage and the PM was talking about it. I doubt too many will turn vegan as a result but it has raised awareness of their cause.
Kind of like September 11 in a way.

Kind of.

Maybe.

Ehh, I dunno.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back