Vegetarianism/Veganism

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, but I'd probably go more with a flexible vegan in the guise of Peter Singer.

Ultimately, if I'm somewhere and people have gone to the effort of cooking for me without realising I'm vegan, I will likely accept as the food will be eaten regardless and I don't want to seem rude. Despite that, those situations are very unusual.

I only bother with B12.

I think being a vegan would be fine in Australia, but when I go visit my family in Bosnia, where meat and yoghurt and cheese are a staple, I'd be worried about being excommunicated from my village.

So b12 vitamins aren't necessary? Honestly I would hate to have to use vitamins, but it seems to be the consensus that it is necessary.

It's a very frustrating subculture where people will flip between 'it's better for you because x, y and z'. If their arguments are picked apart then they quickly bring up the ethics as if that was their argument all along.

Sometimes I want to be the only vegan in the village.

Ultimately, being deceptive and tricking people into changing their lifestyle will hurt the cause. There are many legitimate benefits to a plant based diet, they don't have to drill it into people that dairy will give you dementia and that a vegan diet will cure cancer.

So b12 vitamins aren't necessary? Honestly I would hate to have to use vitamins, but it seems to be the consensus that it is necessary.
I think you misinterpreted me. The only supplement I use is b12.
I think being a vegan would be fine in Australia, but when I go visit my family in Bosnia, where meat and yoghurt and cheese are a staple, I'd be worried about being excommunicated from my villag
There's no point in making things unnecessarily hard on yourself. If I'm at a family function, I'll do what I can to avoid it or bring my own but I won't become belligerent or talk down to people.
Ultimately, being deceptive and tricking people into changing their lifestyle will hurt the cause. There are many legitimate benefits to a plant based diet, they don't have to drill it into people that dairy will give you dementia and that a vegan diet will cure cancer.
There's a real issue in the community where people do genuinely believe it's a fix-all for nearly all illnesses. That's where it crosses the line from stupid to dangerous. A lot of the people pushing these ideas need to be punished if their ideology is causing harm.

Pretty typical “day in” for me apart from the lack of yoghurt (this was actually the non-vegan thing I most struggled to eliminate ... above and beyond milk, butter , eggs or cheese)
Coconut milk yougurt is superior to cows milk in taste and has the same live cultures.
Cocobella vanilla is the pick of the commercial brands, its in every supermarket in Vic not sure about W.A.
Coconut milk icecream is also bloody delicious- Made by Weis- vanilla and chocolate, again, avail in every supermarket.

I do eat meat but always get free range.

Anyone who is too cheap to pay an extra 8c an egg to let the poor thing that is laying it for you be able to move is a ******* piece of s**t.
Same with beef/pork/chicken/lamb/turkey it costs basically the same price, is available everywhere and tastes much better.
Cant go veg/vegan?
Ok. You CAN do this.

Coconut milk yougurt is superior to cows milk in taste and has the same live cultures.
Cocobella vanilla is the pick of the commercial brands, its in every supermarket in Vic not sure about W.A.
The natural ones I have tried taste slightly sweet and (obviously) coconutty to me though
Which is fine for breakfast /sweet things
But I don’t like the taste with savoury things .... (which is how I usually have yoghurt anyway - as a side for a curry or a dip with bread )
Will look out for the brand the next time I’m at my local Woolies though ....

Coconut milk icecream is also bloody delicious- Made by Weis- vanilla and chocolate, again, avail in every supermarket.
But I agree that vegan ice cream is delicious
There’s a reason ice cream /chocolate didn’t get mentions above haha (and yes , I’m a sweet tooth )

Rohu Bure in Fremantle do delicious coconut -based ice cream (can’t even tell it’s vegan , and I mean that in the nicest possible way)

https://www.rohobure.com/

My favourite vegan restaurant is the Raw Kitchen though

Anyone who is too cheap to pay an extra 8c an egg to let the poor thing that is laying it for you be able to move is a ******* piece of s**t.
I rarely eat eggs at home
But when I do , yes , always free range

The natural ones I have tried taste slightly sweet and (obviously) coconutty to me though
Which is fine for breakfast /sweet things
But I don’t like the taste with savoury things .... (which is how I usually have yoghurt anyway - as a side for a curry or a dip with bread )
Will look out for the brand the next time I’m at my local Woolies though ....

But I agree that vegan ice cream is delicious
There’s a reason ice cream /chocolate didn’t get mentions above haha (and yes , I’m a sweet tooth )

Rohu Bure in Fremantle do delicious coconut -based ice cream (can’t even tell it’s vegan , and I mean that in the nicest possible way)

https://www.rohobure.com/

My favourite vegan restaurant is the Raw Kitchen though

I rarely eat eggs at home
But when I do , yes , always free range
Natural yougurt isnt something I eat a lot of but do give Cocobella a try as they certainly have the recipe right for the vanilla.
For sweetened yougurt a hint of coconut is fine anyway but all I taste is vanilla and deliciousness.

I just watched 'What The Health' on Netflix and did not like it. The whole thing was very disingenuous how it was presented, pretending to be more impartial than it was when the agenda of the whole thing was eventually revealed. The more it goes on, the more it comes across as vegan propaganda. "One egg is the equivalent of 5 cigarettes" "Milk causes autism" lol
this is what shits me
people assume because something is under the category documentary that its true and unbiased

most if not all films put up as documentaries are only interested in telling one side of the story because the makers believe that side

making a murderer was really interesting for example but they leave a lot out of the show that would make their view look questionable or Avery look worse

There is a "doco" on netflix about juicing, it's meant to be one guys challenge to himself to go healthy and lose weight and see if he can live on just juice for a set number of days, sort of like a reverse super size me.

but then you look the guy up and he's got a whole business based on selling juicing as the way, so he made an ad for his business and called it a documentary

there is no burden of proof on these film makers, they can say whatever they want without having to prove it which makes it really dangerous

1 egg is equal to 5 cigs??
So in about one hr I'm going to consume scrambled eggs which means I'll have the equiv of 25 cigs in 15 mins

Who the he'll makes this s**t up??
It was perthblue

1 egg is equal to 5 cigs??
So in about one hr I'm going to consume scrambled eggs which means I'll have the equiv of 25 cigs in 15 mins

Who the he'll makes this s**t up??

It was a claim made by someone on the documentary 'What The Health'

But yeah I think 5 eggs in one sitting probably isn't good for you.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a "doco" on netflix about juicing, it's meant to be one guys challenge to himself to go healthy and lose weight and see if he can live on just juice for a set number of days, sort of like a reverse super size me.

Ignoring what the doco was selling it sounds a bit like Sugar vs Fat from the BBC.

http://theconversation.com/tv-twins-pitch-sugar-against-fat-but-the-combination-is-a-killer-22603

As usual the outcome was basically 'balanced diet and exercise'.

I take the approach that if humans weren't supposed to eat certain things then we wouldn't be able to. Kind of like how my dog can eat bones he digs out of the garden and lick his own butthole but if I give him a chocolate bar or some Nurofen it will be poisonous. Humans are omnivores and can process fats, proteins, sugars etc. so we do. Key is to just eat the right balance of each.

Ignoring what the doco was selling it sounds a bit like Sugar vs Fat from the BBC.

http://theconversation.com/tv-twins-pitch-sugar-against-fat-but-the-combination-is-a-killer-22603

As usual the outcome was basically 'balanced diet and exercise'.

I take the approach that if humans weren't supposed to eat certain things then we wouldn't be able to. Kind of like how my dog can eat bones he digs out of the garden and lick his own butthole but if I give him a chocolate bar or some Nurofen it will be poisonous. Humans are omnivores and can process fats, proteins, sugars etc. so we do. Key is to just eat the right balance of each.
A balanced meal. Burger in one hand beer in the other

Congrats on getting your health on track... that's awesome.

I've been a vego for most of my life. I go through a few weeks with no eggs/dairy either, but it's not something I keep track of. Have wanted to transition to veganism for a long time now.

A few questions if you don't mind! I'm sure I'll have heaps more :)
1. On a scale of 0 to 10, how s**t are those fake sanitarium meat things I smash all the time.
2. Are there are any online places you can recommend for seasonings and vego foods? Amazon had a dope fake chicken salt thing that was rad but I'd rather find something local
3. What's your favourite Milk alternative? My dad had cancer and loads of people told me that Soy Milk wasn't great for that. Should I be almond milking?
4. What alcohols do you recommend? Any vegan beers or things I should know about, or do you sip vodka neat etc?

Edit: My dinner was tofu & green things (brocolli, snow peas etc.) cooked w/ chilli and mad s**t.

Good evening mate, thanks for your patience. Am now coming back to you as promised with your questions.

1. On a scale of 0 to 10, how s**t are those fake sanitarium meat things I smash all the time.

It really depends on its purpose. The fake/vegan meat market is amazing I must say, and exponentially increases every year. Its brilliant to see, truly is. But doesn't mean it's the healthiest option. I do however think its absolutely fine used for particular purposes. ie, they're an amazing gateway food into veganism. I've made Quorn 'chickn' parmas, Linda McCartney sausages etc for some friends and they had absolutely no idea it wasn't meat. Genuinely, we went back and forth for a while until I went into the recycling basket and pulled out the cardboard packaging to show them.

They couldn't believe the variety on offer, much more than the 'grass, sticks and leaves' misconception. So for someone transitioning for example, perhaps like yourself, they're awesome. They can still tide you over as you learn more and experiment more with other wholefoods. Veggie Delights are a brand I see doing great things, very prominent in supermarkets now. I know some friends who use their products for their sandwiches for lunch, sausages for the BBQ, or on a stir fry etc.

So to answer your question, I'd say they're a 10/10 as a convenient/alternative meat substitute. But in terms of healthiness day to day, I wouldn't recommend.

I'd say do your best until you know better. And when you know better, do better.

2. Are there are any online places you can recommend for seasonings and vego foods? Amazon had a dope fake chicken salt thing that was rad but I'd rather find something local

Where abouts are you based? In Melbourne? Depending where, I can try and look up some options local for you.

But there are a few players in the online vegan market.

https://www.crueltyfreeshop.com.au

http://www.veganonline.com.au

https://www.veganperfection.com.au

http://www.uproar.org.au/uproar-shop/

Let me know if you need something specific that this doesn't cover.

3. What's your favourite Milk alternative? My dad had cancer and loads of people told me that Soy Milk wasn't great for that. Should I be almond milking?

Firstly, sorry to hear about your father. And hope he's in good health and doing well now.

I don't tend to notice much of a difference between the plant based milks, but if I had a standout, it would be oat milk. Followed closely by coconut milk. However, I'm a big fan of home made milks, particular cashews.

Do you have a good blender? As that is key if you wanted to try it at home. Cashews blend up beautifully and depending on the amount of water used, you can make it lighter or creamier depending on your preference. I very much enjoy it in coffee, and I notice a huge difference there compared to the store bought ones.

4. What alcohols do you recommend? Any vegan beers or things I should know about, or do you sip vodka neat etc?

Barnivore is your friend here.

http://www.barnivore.com

It shows country by country which alcohols are vegan, very useful if you travel. It was my go to for many years when I was working overseas, especially traveling through Asia (have been to India 60+ times for example, so always had this site handy). There's tonnes of Aussie beers that are now vegan, many companies have improved their filtration processes in recent years and no longer use animal derivatives.

Punch in your favourite beers above and see how you go. As for me, not a huge drinker these days but if I'm at a function or event, I tend to just stick with a simple vodka soda.

Ps, great sounding dinner. Mine was simply roast potatoes, Mexican brown rice, black beans and some veggies. Magnificent.

I think that covers it for now, let me know if I've missed anything? And yes, if any other questions come to mind please fire away. Happy to help :)

glenferry23 dude, thanks so much! Really appreciate your help!

tenor.gif

Barnivore is your friend here.

http://www.barnivore.com

It shows country by country which alcohols are vegan, very useful if you travel. It was my go to for many years when I was working overseas, especially traveling through Asia (have been to India 60+ times for example, so always had this site handy). There's tonnes of Aussie beers that are now vegan, many companies have improved their filtration processes in recent years and no longer use animal derivatives.

Wow, this is going to make my life so much easier. Thanks so much!

I just watched 'What The Health' on Netflix and did not like it. The whole thing was very disingenuous how it was presented, pretending to be more impartial than it was when the agenda of the whole thing was eventually revealed. The more it goes on, the more it comes across as vegan propaganda. "One egg is the equivalent of 5 cigarettes" "Milk causes autism" lol
Moronic NBA players have been saying how that documentary woke them up and inspired them to change their lifestyle.

The amount of documentaries with questionable information that people lap up is concerning.

I was vegetarian for about 8 years, and about 18 months of that time was mostly vegan - But I am back to eating meat these days, and in honesty I have passed the 'recovering vegetarian' stage that I used to say I was in when I was eating meat a little bit. I probably have swung back over and eat too much meat now...

I was never really against the concept of eating meat (i.e killing an animal) - I'm not a health nut, that was never the motivation. It was a political exercise and wanted to avoid the meat industry, which is exploitative by nature. Plus there was a part of me that knew I wouldn't be able to kill an animal myself if I had to - I remember my grandpa taking me out on the farm when I was 8 or so to shoot a lamb, and watching him gut it and skin it and a couple nights later there was lamb chops on the dinner table, but I couldn't eat them. Certainly didn't turn vego then as a kid, but I guess that memory stuck with me and when I became a young adult it resonated with me - I kinda had the attitude that if you wanted to eat meat, you should kill it yourself. As I couldn't/wouldn't, I didn't eat it

But I guess as I got older I found the 'labels' a bit annoying and the proselytising even worse. I also began to loathe how much 'checkout politics/activism' became in vogue, as if our consumption choices made a difference, * that, it's another money making exercise, and full scale crop production is still damaging to the environment - Soya crops are terrible as well

and in the end it was a 'slippery slope' that got me back into eating animal products. The first time I ate meat after being vego for a long time was one Christmas Day that I stayed in Melbourne for and went to an 'orphans' Xmas. My mates had two roast chooks in the oven, which seemed a bit weird to me - 'Where did you get those chickens from?' -- 'Out of the Coles dumpster last night' - '* yeah I am eating that' -- How could there be a moral implication to eating something that was otherwise sourced from a literal waste basket. That same summer I went fishing with my old man and grandpa and caught a whiting - I felt it was ok to eat that too - the slippery slope started and I was 'freegan' for about 12 months... but then eventually I found myself buying meat like anyone would

In the end, diet is arbitrary -

I'm 14 and a lactose intolerant vego. I also cook all my own foods. The key is to use lots of protein such as beans and tofu. Fried tofu is amazing and a vegetarian pasta sauce takes ten minutes. Hope this helps also
PM me if you want any recipies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back