Venables concussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Truly hope this kid makes a full recovery, he had obvious talent

That said, the likelihood of him ever returning after effectively 2 years out of the game with concussion is very, very slim 😞😭

Venners probably cooked, which is a real shame. Had decent potential to be a quality footy player, showed flashes. Atleast he won a premiership, pretty special career achievement that many players never get.

Hopefully he can get healthy and live a good quality of life. Footy is secondary.

Obviously shattering news for Venners.

As a father, as much as I get the want for a child to keep playing and live the Dream , I would be very concerned with the likelihood of further damage.

As harsh a call as this sounds, if I was his father I would be encouraging him to give playing the game away.

Reality is whilst he only got to play 21 games he will leave the game as a minority, being a player who has retired with a Premiership Medal.

That’s got to be some consolation .

If there was some way to keep him in the football industry, that could be a good compromise, as that way he gets to remain close to the camaraderie and football culture thats so addictive and alluring, to be a part of.

First and foremost is Daniels health both physically in regards to the concussions.
Secondly as equally as important his mental health, as having your dream crushed at an early age will undoubtedly have serious anguish and a depressive aspect to consider.

At the end of the day, it’s a just a game and there are so many things that life has to offer that are awesome, like becoming a parent.
Now that’s easy to say as an old timer and much harder to appreciate when your a young adult.

I know what it’s like to have your football dream taken from you.
I did a knee so badly playing on Fremantle Oval.
One minute I was kicking goals, then 30 minutes latter I was in Fremantle Hospital.
I was 24 and never played a game ever again, at any level, thats how bad the knee was.

So I know the awful feeling he will be going through, as he has had to walk away from a game he loves.

For me I went into coaching.

Just for the record, it only took me about ten years, to get all the s**t and anger out of my system about a premature football retirement.

The worst part of the whole deal was that my younger brother got promoted straight up from Colts to replace me.... he went on to win two Premiership Medals ...... he always reminds me that between the two of us the family has a pair of Premiership Medals.... he then smiles and laughs and he then sledges me .... pity you didn’t contribute to the count .

Alas sport, like life, is fraught with injuries and setbacks.

It’s how you get over the set backs, that define you in life.

Last edited:
Totally gutted for the bloke. Live, it was an absolutely massive hit, but I don't think too many at the ground realised what it would mean. The moment had come and gone so quickly.

Luckily, he's already achieved what most professional players never get the chance at and would retire a premiership hero if he chose to give it up. Either way, wishing all the best for Venner's recovery.

Last edited:
Ahh Al.., he hasn’t played for 8 or 9 months due to ongoing concussion issues.. the club doesn’t really have choice now does it ??
You should be in public relations
( the bs seems to Come naturally)
You on the other hand put a lot of effort into your BS.

I'm sure we all absolutely wish Dan Venables the best in his recovery and at this stage, his ongoing health is the clear primary focus. Obviously, there is now a significant chance that he doesn't ever play again. BUT, there is precedent where a player can be out for 12 months with concussion symptoms and make a full recovery and play on for years in Ice Hockey with Sidney Crosby.

In 2011, Sidney Crosby was concussed on 1st January 2011. Attempted to play and was hit again and forced to sit out for 10 months. He returned for a couple of weeks but continued to have symptoms, so sat out again. It was 15 months after the initial concussion before he was able to return full time and has gone on to have another 8 years in the game and counting at a very high standard.

I still hold out some hope that Venables may be able return after an extended period of recovery.

Edit: there appears to be something wrong with the link I tried to post with the details, so you'll have to Google it yourself.

Real shame for the young fella.
Maybe they should give life memberships to any bloke that's got to bow out early d/t concussions.
Do premiership players get auto LMs?

Last edited:
All the best Venners. You have always been one of my favourites. Hoping you can come back but if not best of luck for the future

Why would he have done all the pre season then got the check?

Well maybe ...just maybe ...the medical advise was do the preseason and then do the check after.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really do think the club has handled this as best as they could and have prioritised Venables long term health over all else

They couldn't have handled it better.

Also gives me another reason to hate Melbourne (even though it wasn't the Melbourne player's fault, irrational hate is part and parcel of footy!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back