Venables concussion

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Watching an NFL player run 10+ km in a game would probably be pretty embarrassing too. Completely different games and requirements despite both sports going a bit of hand-egg action.

I imagine AFL players would significantly benefit from being able to do ladders at an NFL players ability. I don’t think any NFL player would benefit from being able to smash a 10km run.

I imagine AFL players would significantly benefit from being able to do ladders at an NFL players ability. I don’t think any NFL player would benefit from being able to smash a 10km run.

If being able to smash the ladder meant you couldn't do the 10km+ of running it is of little benefit to the AFL player.

NFL is a completely different, explosive athleticism based game. That's why guys like Danger are considered freaks in the AFL, above average explosiveness (probably woefully short of any NFL benchmarks mind you) and the capacity to do it for 2 hours solid.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Great watching those hand-eye reaction/co-ordination drills, the sport has come a long way...
Have big hopes for Venners, if he gets up to speed this season, woohoo...

Great watching those hand-eye reaction/co-ordination drills, the sport has come a long way...
Have big hopes for Venners, if he gets up to speed this season, woohoo...

TBH I thought they were more about teaching him some preprioception.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
If being able to smash the ladder meant you couldn't do the 10km+ of running it is of little benefit to the AFL player.

NFL is a completely different, explosive athleticism based game. That's why guys like Danger are considered freaks in the AFL, above average explosiveness (probably woefully short of any NFL benchmarks mind you) and the capacity to do it for 2 hours solid.
I don't think being able to smash a ladder means you can't do a 10km run. There is no benefit to NFL players being able to smash a 10km run. There is significant benefit of AFL players being able to do footwork on ladders and smash 10km. We marvel at how only a select few players can stop on a dime and change direction in traffic. Think Shuey, GAJ, Sam Mitchell and Pendlebury, they wouldn't even compare to the athletes in the NCAA of NFL agility wise.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 7.47.52 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 7.47.52 am.png
    103.2 KB · Views: 169
Offensive players are one thing, but there are 300 lb (140kg) line backers who have their guts almost sticking over the uniform pants. They're definitely not athletic as far as sports standards go.

I think you would be horrified to see how fast those "fatties" (my term not yours) can cover 10-20 yards.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I think you would be horrified to see how fast those "fatties" (my term not yours) can cover 10-20 yards.
Horrified at how quick or slow they cover it? I know they can move, but geez it's odd watching these big fat blokes playing highly professional level of sports.

Ben Roethlisburger has a quick dash on him and he's been rocking a dad bod as long as I can remember

Horrified at how quick or slow they cover it? I know they can move, but geez it's odd watching these big fat blokes playing highly professional level of sports.

Ben Roethlisburger has a quick dash on him and he's been rocking a dad bod as long as I can remember

How quick they can move.

Some seriously plus sized lads covering the 40 in ~5 seconds and 10 yards well under 2 seconds. I can only imagine being hit by one of these blokes would be akin to the old falling piano gag.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
How quick they can move.

Some seriously plus sized lads covering the 40 in ~5 seconds and 10 yards well under 2 seconds. I can only imagine being hit by one of these blokes would be akin to the old falling piano gag.

There's that old youtube vid of Sav Rocca being flattened over there and he was a big boy.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
My best mate in the army struggled with a gut - passed selection for sas but - not exactly a walk in the park.

was also able to run Low 11’s in 100m

got out and became a cop and said the greatest feeling in the world was having some young bugger do a runner .....the guy would look back after 30 seconds and see him closerso the bloke would put the jets on

and in his words “the next time hed look back and i was just about to grab him - the look on the face was priceless - you can see them thinking how the f{}# did this fat c#%^ catch me”

Met a few blokes like that - almost morbidly obese but really good athletes and really fit - just everything they ate went to their guts.

Back