Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is there no law requiring cyclists to keep 1.5m away from pedestrians?
Had a cyclist today using the road which was under roadworks and clearly stated no bicycles allowed. Would have been impossible to get past with 1.5m gap due to incoming traffic so * her, got past under the 1.5m

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Well there sort of is, as in they cannot ride on footpaths usually.

Gotta admit though that walking on shared paths is getting a little more dangerous now - especially is you are going for picnics with young children, etc. Some of the bikes really fly along, especially the commuter ones I suppose.

Lol I was out for a run last month when I heard a few bikes coming up from behind (kids and dad), so moved over to the middle of the path a bit more so they could pass inside with more room. (Was muddy off the path so didn't fancy going too far left) A bike came from the other direction and the woman on it actually yelled at me to move over into the path of the other bikes which had not quite passed me yet. Was a bit scary - clearly it was un unusual situation where we were going to be close to having three abreast (bike, person, bike) on a narrowish path.

The non-sh*t-for-brains thing to do would be to slow down and be safe. She didn't do it though, and fu** it was scary.

It's a shared path in a park, not a commuter road ffs.
The smart thing to do would be to move to the left and let the ones behind you overtake on the right when clear to do so. Moving to the middle is a dumb move I'm afraid.

The smart thing to do would be to move to the left and let the ones behind you overtake on the right when clear to do so. Moving to the middle is a dumb move I'm afraid.

No it wasn't.

The leading bikes were kids who were barely watching 1 metre in front of themselves, the best call at the time , on a shared path that is not an official commuter road/path, was to move over to the centre.

They got past, I couldn't go back yet because dad was still to come, then Ms Angry asks me to move into his upcoming path.

You are assuming that everyone using the path is an adult or old enough to understand traffic laws and norms. (If they even really apply) But it's not, it's a shared path and you will get situations like this. Just as you may get deaf people walking ahead of you, or elderly people who are slow to react and cannot change direction easily. It's not a road and you don't need a licence to use it. So we all have to be mindful of this. The only dumb move was the request for me to voluntarily get bowled over.

Also, if I didn't make it clearer earlier, the oncoming cyclist was nowhere to be seen at first, they were approaching at a fair clip.

No it wasn't.

The leading bikes were kids who were barely watching 1 metre in front of themselves, the best call at the time , on a shared path that is not an official commuter road/path, was to move over to the centre.

They got past, I couldn't go back yet because dad was still to come, then Ms Angry asks me to move into his upcoming path.

You are assuming that everyone using the path is an adult or old enough to understand traffic laws and norms. (If they even really apply) But it's not, it's a shared path and you will get situations like this. Just as you may get deaf people walking ahead of you, or elderly people who are slow to react and cannot change direction easily. It's not a road and you don't need a licence to use it. So we all have to be mindful of this. The only dumb move was the request for me to voluntarily get bowled over.

Also, if I didn't make it clearer earlier, the oncoming cyclist was nowhere to be seen at first, they were approaching at a fair clip.
Keep left and you don't impact the oncoming traffic. Simples. You caused the issue from your explanation

Think when it comes to cyclists, recreational riders and even kids, and you're in the vicinity, you gotta be aware of the surroundings. Just like going for a walk in a dodgy neighbourhood.

Speeding cyclist runs red, campaigner behaviour and outrage
Speeding driver runs a red, campaigner behaviour....outrage lasts a minute, forgotten thereafter. drive on. I think its as we're all drivers we kinda shrug our shoulders at automobile transgressions, cause we're one of them (car family).

Don't think you are even reading what I have written. Oh well, simple people are gonna simple.
I'll try and decipher what you said, or basically word for word: you went for a run, presumably on the left hand side of the path (otherwise you are a complete moron), you moved to the middle to let those behind you pass on your left , got in the way of oncoming traffic (no s**t, you were in the middle of the path) and got correctly told off.

That's what you wrote.....no?

I'll try and decipher what you said, or basically word for word: you went for a run, presumably on the left hand side of the path (otherwise you are a complete moron), you moved to the middle to let those behind you pass on your left , got in the way of oncoming traffic (no sh*t, you were in the middle of the path) and got correctly told off.

That's what you wrote.....no?

It's not what I wrote, but if it makes you feel better to think that's how it went then go for it. Think I'm done with you.

Think when it comes to cyclists, recreational riders and even kids, and you're in the vicinity, you gotta be aware of the surroundings. Just like going for a walk in a dodgy neighbourhood.

Speeding cyclist runs red, campaigner behaviour and outrage
Speeding driver runs a red, campaigner behaviour....outrage lasts a minute, forgotten thereafter. drive on. I think its as we're all drivers we kinda shrug our shoulders at automobile transgressions, cause we're one of them (car family).

I've never understood the carry on with cyclists running reds when clearly nobody is coming the other way. Yeah, they should get fined like everyone else but really, who cares?

My only issues have been almost colliding with one at 5:30AM on a dark road when they were wearing black and had no lights, and one breaking my wing mirror when they road past too close.

Issues with other motorists? Well there's many more of those, and more importantly, I could have really got hurt a few times. Number one is people on their phones drifting across lanes. It's getting really bad.

It's bad enough that it needs it's own post:

People on their phones whilst driving drifting dangerously out of lanes (sometimes into oncoming traffic)

Hate it.
Good game to play - are they elderly, s**t drivers or on their phone....99% of the time on their phone. Risk your own life, dont risk mine or others arsehole.

It's simply not true. People just need to be more patient. I have no problems waiting a few seconds to move around a cyclist safely, neither do I have any problem slowing down and ringing a bell when on my bike for pedestrians. By constantly catering to the worst behaved, we're not going to solve the problem, the problem is their attitude. They will just turn it on someone else (motorbikes, trucks, buses, other cars etc).
But it is though. Our roads are designed with the assumption that the things using it go at a certain speed. They're not designed to have vehicles traveling at vastly different speeds. In peak it's not a few seconds. You're often waiting for a safe gap to provide the space required.

Shared paths are not designed to have cyclists racing over them. They're more a leisurely ride.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roundabouts in Victoria- I wish more people knew the rules.

Rules? It's not real complicated, just give way to the right. (I believe that's not the actual rule, you need to give way to people on the roundabout I think but generally speaking that works I think.)

I drive through a crowded roundabout every morning, was on the roundabout and two people just pulled out in front of me, including a ute with a trailer. These campaigners don't leave extra room on the roads for their length, constantly have to allow for them. I tooted the campaigner, he looked back all angry like he didn't do anything wrong of course.

Rules? It's not real complicated,

Funnily enough, it kind of is. Or conversely, perhaps it's too simple.

The rule is not so much give way to the right, but give way to vehicles already on the roundabout. So especially for larger roundabouts, there is no need to give way to the right as such; if there is room to enter, you can and should (kind of the whole point of the roundabout shape is to keep traffic moving).

Unfortunately this overly simple rule can come unstuck if there is a collision - it's not always clear who was there first. Especially if one car enters at speed it can get tricky.

This incident was hotly debated online:

The rule is not so much give way to the right, but give way to vehicles already on the roundabout. So especially for larger roundabouts, there is no need to give way to the right as such; if there is room to enter, you can and should (kind of the whole point of the roundabout shape is to keep traffic moving).

Unfortunately this overly simple rule can come unstuck if there is a collision - it's not always clear who was there first. Especially if one car enters at speed it can get tricky.

That is actually what I said in the rest of my post.

Rules? It's not real complicated, just give way to the right. (I believe that's not the actual rule, you need to give way to people on the roundabout I think but generally speaking that works I think.)

I drive through a crowded roundabout every morning, was on the roundabout and two people just pulled out in front of me, including a ute with a trailer. These campaigners don't leave extra room on the roads for their length, constantly have to allow for them. I tooted the campaigner, he looked back all angry like he didn't do anything wrong of course.

Mustve been the same ute driver i saw being a campaigner on the M1 today!

Micra clearly at fault, for lack of awareness if nothing else.

Had one today, a woman in the middle lane going about 10km/h under the speed of everyone else, all 3 lanes busy but moving at the 60km/h limit. Busy enough that i couldnt get into either lane to get around her. She would also leave a gap of around 20m to the car in front of her. Of course, this leads to people moving into the middle lane ahead of her, thus causing her to slam on the brakes to keep the 20m distance to the car in front of her.

Eventually got past her and she was about 50 yrs old, having a dart and oblivious that she is holding everyone in her lane up.

I've never understood the carry on with cyclists running reds when clearly nobody is coming the other way. Yeah, they should get fined like everyone else but really, who cares?

My only issues have been almost colliding with one at 5:30AM on a dark road when they were wearing black and had no lights, and one breaking my wing mirror when they road past too close.

Issues with other motorists? Well there's many more of those, and more importantly, I could have really got hurt a few times. Number one is people on their phones drifting across lanes. It's getting really bad.
Police should be more active with cyclists wearing dark clothes and no lights (note: I am a commuting cyclist). It's dangerous and just makes drivers angry as cyclists in general.

As an aside, left turns are red lights should be treated like stop signs. Cars/cyclists should be allowed to turn left at a red light if there is no oncoming traffic and there are no pedestrians around (like US right turn traffic rules).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back