Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

cars headlights seem to point down less than they used to, or the beans have a wider angle, number of times I get blinded by some SUV type who doesn't have their high beams on is too damn high
They should be banned I reckon. They are as bright as * in the rear view mirror. If they are not "high beam", they are close enough to.

Was there a memo I missed stating vehicles need to stop a car space from the solid line at traffic lights? There’s pads in the bitumen campaigner, lights won’t change unless there’s some weight on them.

i have noticed that more and more aswell, one day, got stuck in a queue at the lights to turn right and the traffic lights never turned green, i thought * this and drove up further up the road and chuck a u-turn, when i turned onto the road i wanted to go on, this campaigner wasn't on the traffic light sensor

images

Does my head in how often I'm in the position of the yellow and someone in the blue car turns right and cuts across my lane.

That is not how you turn a corner! The little area of space between the front of the yellow car and the dashed line is not yours to play with. You wait where the forward most blue car is for the red car to pass/turn, then you turn at 90 degrees to your right.

images

Does my head in how often I'm in the position of the yellow and someone in the blue car turns right and cuts across my lane.

That is not how you turn a corner! The little area of space between the front of the yellow car and the dashed line is not yours to play with. You wait where the forward most blue car is for the red car to pass/turn, then you turn at 90 degrees to your right.

I see that every morning leaving my street, almost been hit a few times aswell

It's not like they are brushing the line either, common for a car to be taking up the entire opposite lane. And they even have the audacity to look at you like you should slow down for them.

I usually give them the look back and a bit of a spray as they go past

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Drivers who sit behind slower vehicles and choose not to overtake even when it is perfectly safe to do so (the exemption being if you’ve got a turn/exit coming up)

It's tailgating; idiots have no idea just how much danger they are themselves and others in. Also, people that speed up to stop you changing lanes, even if you are indicating. Most pet peeves can be put down to a lack of courtesy.

Also, motorists that s**t themselves at the sight of a cyclist on the road, like the whole idea is just inexplicable.

People who dawdle at traffic lights.

There's a set of lights at the intersection of Canning Hwy and Ardross St in Perth. With the phasing it would probably be green for the highway 99% of the time or more. When you are waiting at the lights to cross the highway you'll generally wait a minute or two and then when the lights go green there is enough time for 2-3 cars to get through before they turn amber. Without fail if you are the second or third car in line the person/people in front of you will take an eternity to get going once the lights turn green. FFFFUUUU.

Does my head in. Driving a manual, if I can somehow manage to get off the mark when the light goes green than these morons in auto hatchbacks should have no problem. But no, instead they want to crawl around the corner like they're driving a truck.

Does my head in. Driving a manual, if I can somehow manage to get off the mark when the light goes green than these morons in auto hatchbacks should have no problem. But no, instead they want to crawl around the corner like they're driving a truck.

i have the same issue, i have plenty of power under my right foot, so i tend to take off from the lights quicker then most, have taken off the lights and the car in front is crawling off the line, and its like oh s**t

I was turning right on a green arrow at an intersection today and a dickhead ignored the fact that they were on a red light and plowed straight into the side of the car behind me. Bloody close one.

There seems to be far more lenience toward drivers who dawdle on green turning arrows, when compared to regular green lights. If people don't go immediately on a 'straight' green light, someone behind them will deliver toot almost straight away (at least a polite, short one), but not so much on an arrow.
No one has ever missed a green arrow because of me dawdling in front of them

Also, motorists that s**t themselves at the sight of a cyclist on the road, like the whole idea is just inexplicable.
I cycle a lot, and I farkin swear to god, I reckon some people drive their whole lives without changing lanes.

Often when I'm riding on a two-lane road, it seems to take some drivers a couple of km to change lanes to go around me.
They're like, "ah, s**t! What do I do? Um, ok, do I look or indicate first? I dunno! Hang on, oh no, I'm already veering without indicating; I better veer back into the left lane and start again...." etc, etc.

Sometimes I just stop and let them go.

To be fair, one thing that cyclists do that can make things tricky for drivers is that we can vary our speed a lot.

Last edited:
Here's something that not only really pisses me off, it's also illegal (unless the law has changed) and dangerous, yet many people do it. I couldn't find a photo, so I drew it. :poo:

Someone turning from one road into another with at least 2 or more lanes going in the direction they'll be traveling once they enter, will enter the vacant lane when the other lane is full of moving traffic. If a car in the larger road changes lanes, which they're obviously allowed to do, then bang.

Some people think there's nothing wrong with it, but by that logic, vehicles could never change lanes because an entering car could come out of nowhere.

I once tooted at a guy who did this to me as I changed lanes and narrowly avoided hitting him, then he had a go at me at the next red light because I dared changed lanes.

I admit it was a long time ago, but I knew someone who failed their driving test because they turned left into the extreme left lane of a 4-lane road (Dandenog Rd) while two cars were in the far right lane

O5TaylS.jpg

To be fair, one thing that cyclists do that can make things tricky for drivers is that we can vary our speed a lot.

Riding 3 abreast & taking up an entire lane on an 80km road is worse.....Not to mention individual riders who ride the white paint.

As to the vices of motor vehicle drivers, I'm not sure why they equip all cars with indicators, cause some drivers seem to enjoy keeping the rest of us guessing.

I understand how that's annoying, but if a car has to move lanes to ride around cyclists, there's not much difference if half or the whole car has to get into the outer lane

If they're doing 40-50 kmph & both sides of a single lane road are busy, then it's both terribly stupid & selfish in my books.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back