Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Complete idiot today. Traffic on a one lane st bumper to bumper. This bloke wants to turn right at the traffic lights about 500m up the road. So rather than wait, goes onto the other side of the road and drives with cars coming the other way. They all have to swerve out of his way. Rather than pull back in he he eventually just stops and waits for our lane to start moving. When it does he continues to drive on the opposite side of the road.

Just a complete *******. Wouldn't care less if he crashed and killed himself, would deserve it. But s**t like that putting other people's lives at risk boils my blood.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Amen! But when wishing something like that on someone make sure you wish no other drivers or people are involved. Just a tree or inanimate object.

Had to toot my horn madly yesterday to stop someone reversing into me in a carpark while I was waiting to turn out. I'm not racist but.... it was an Asian lady.

People who say Im not racist are racist. Against blacks of all colours.

I cycle a lot. Drivers seem to keep inventing new ways to use me as target practice.

Recently, I was fanging along on my bike on Centre Rd, East Bentleigh, in a section which has 2 lanes going both ways.
The road was clear, except for one car which was stationary, waiting to turn right (obviously in the right-hand lane), about 30 metres in front of me, and we were both heading the same way. Just as I was about to pass well inside on the left side of the stationary, right-turning car, the driver changed his mind and turned immediately left into a driveway, right in front of me. Faaaark! I dunno how I stopped in time, but I just managed to do so.

One more: sections of North Rd, through Ormond (etc), have service lanes with narrow dividing strips separating them from the main lanes.
One day, I was steaming along the clear service lane on my bike, and the main road lanes were full of slow-moving traffic. As I was thumping along, watching for cars that might come out of side streets on my left, some bogan in a high-wheel 4wd thing drove over the dividing strip from the main lanes into the service lane, right in front of me!!! I slowed down just in time to avoid colliding with the car

I tells ya, I can anticipate most of the stupid things motorists can do, but that one totally caught me off guard. :D

Then they yell out "PAY REGO!"

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
On highways I usually sit on 102 as they take 3km/h off when detecting speeding fines etc. However most cars are actually under what their speedo says. Take for instance on the Geelong Hwy, they have a check your speed section and at 102km/h it shows im actually ding 96km/h (I presume its semi-accurate). So those going faster than you are probably only doing 100-102km/h. But then there are those who are clearly doing 120+
They’re the people I worry about

Lol. It isn’t in Australia. Don’t ******* speed, it intimidates people and causes accidents because our culture isn’t like a European one with the Autobahn.

Dumb comment.

Australia has the worst driving culture. Imagine if we did drop all the speed limits on portions of freeways and highways, I bet the right lane would still be blocked by all the big men in their hi-vis in their "lifted" hiluxes with "muddies" doing 125...

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
I really wish they would install more of those "check your speed" things here in Australia.

I would trust my speedo more thats for sure.

I remember doing one on the way to Melbourne once and yeah I sat on 100 exactly and it flashed up 96.

I figure they're all set a bit under.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 12, 2007
The North
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I'm always curious about when you pass a cyclist and about 400m later need to turn left. You do all the right things, indicate and slow down. Does the cyclist have to slow down or do we have to give way and let them pass before we turn. I presume they need to slow down. Too many times cyclists just keep going and I have nearly hit them.

I would say give way. It's one of those things where you'd be found at fault because you were turning and are supposed to do so in a safe manner.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Australia has the worst driving culture. Imagine if we did drop all the speed limits on portions of freeways and highways, I bet the right lane would still be blocked by all the big men in their hi-vis in their "lifted" hiluxes with "muddies" doing 125...
I am not talking about dropping it, just sticking to it. The thing is what kind of impact it has on someone that gets intimidated when a hilux roars up behind you when you’re doing the limit. Me personally? I look forward to what’s in front of me, not behind, because I don’t like taking my eyes off the road. But people get freaked out, they panic, they focus on the rear view bully and not the traffic in front. That’s what causes accidents.

In cairns last year I had a hilux overtake me over double lines coming up to a bend. He just couldn’t handle being behind me whilst I was sticking to the limit. The dumb prick had his business logo and name all over his truck so I called the company and reported it, not to mention ripping into them on their google review page.

I am not talking about dropping it, just sticking to it. The thing is what kind of impact it has on someone that gets intimidated when a hilux roars up behind you when you’re doing the limit. Me personally? I look forward to what’s in front of me, not behind, because I don’t like taking my eyes off the road. But people get freaked out, they panic, they focus on the rear view bully and not the traffic in front. That’s what causes accidents.

In cairns last year I had a hilux overtake me over double lines coming up to a bend. He just couldn’t handle being behind me whilst I was sticking to the limit. The dumb prick had his business logo and name all over his truck so I called the company and reported it, not to mention ripping into them on their google review page.

My bad, didn't elocute my point properly, i meant remove all speed limits when I said drop, not lower the current ones.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
i'll let people in, but you better give me a wave you campaigner, also if they take their sweet arse time changing lanes, too bad, i get back upto speed and pass them

The lack of the use of the wave these days saddens me.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Nah, not when they go into the left lane and bypass all the traffic and only want to get in because of a parked car. There’s also a difference between letting them and pushing in.

People who try and merge 20kms under the speed everyone else is doing is the worst and as someone above said, don't let those arsehole who think they are smarter than everyone else by using a different lane in

I don’t necessarily disagree with either of these points. But a little courtesy goes a long way. People are too angry on the road on both sides of the equation.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don’t necessarily disagree with either of these points. But a little courtesy goes a long way. People are too angry on the road on both sides of the equation.
Agree. Sometimes I do let them in. When someone needs to get in that hasn’t done that, different story. The other day a few lads in a truck were turning right onto Riversdale road, just near the station, they were having a hard time seeing across. I stopped well before and waved them over. Man, they were stoked. Couldn’t believe I let them in.

It felt good actually.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah Ive had a few scares recently and sometimes I only know they're filtering by noise- but you cant be relying on that can you? (deaf people are allowed to drive dont forget)

What's stopping someone from moving slightly (but still within their lane) and taking someone out without them not even realising they're there? If it was up to me id only allow it when traffics completely stopped (or at least moving very slowly like around walking speed)
I reckon you’ve got to do it when it’s totally stopped. So much safer.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Shopping centre carparks close to Christmas, I swear every idiot who can't drive is trying to park their car or manoeuvre around the car park.

Gotta love the idiots who don't realise they have to move in order for anyone else to move. Oblivious

Would you even bother at Christmas time? Online all the way. I’d rather have no anaesthetic for a vasectomy than go to a shopping centre at Christmas.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
They are also the ones that have about 10 more headlights than they need too.

Shocked that kangaroos are not yet extinct based on the number of cars/utes/4 wheel drives that have high beam halogen/spotter lights.
These people also seem to be the slowest to see/sense/react to oncoming traffic and turn those lights off.
******* lethal. Need to be banned.

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
My dad taught me to use landmarks when finding my way around as you rarely remember names - in his case it was pubs.

I also taught my kids if they got lost to follow a bus route as it will always bring you back to a main road
Good post. I still remember the route I’d take to get to my high school. I’d ride my bike every day. I’ll memorise it now;
Straight
Turn right
Turn left
Turn right (cross lights)
Straight
Turn left
Turn right
Cross main road
Turn right
Turn left
Cross road
Ride through park
School
Hang bike up in rack and lock it

Len Nicodemo

Cancelled
Jan 2, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Agreed. The only thing you need to worry about is if someone to your right is stopping you from entering the roundabout. If it's clear, or if there's enough time to enter, then enter. Obviously be aware of everyone on the roundabout but ultimately you give way to your right and that's it.
Or if anyone in a roundabout is already there from your left and is going slowly

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No mate. I am sticking to the ******* speed limit and everyone else should as well. I’ve seen first hand what speed does to a stationary human being. It’s really not pleasant.

Yeah, to me, it's a no brainer moving across one lane and letting someone through. Maybe im doing 100, maybe I'm doing 95, maybe I'm doing 105. Who knows with the variance in Speedos. I'd rather switch lanes for a few seconds, than encourage people to pass on the left and weave through traffic. I honestly believe your vigilante on speeders behind you is creating a more dangerous situation than them speeding. It works brilliantly in Europe and the US, for some reason Aussies can't get their heads around it.

Must've been quite horrific seeing a pedestrian hit at 100kmh. Can't imagine it would be much different to being hit at 110 though.

No the dickheads who decide to skip the queue to turn right and are in the lane that goes straight. They then sit at the front of the line with their indicator on holding up traffic who want to go straight. Don't let them ******s in
Ah ok. I misunderstood your initial post. Thought you were talking about something like 3 lanes merging to 2 after traffic lights.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Thought you were talking about something like 3 lanes merging to 2 after traffic lights.

Those are good if you are in the lane that ends.

Just speed up to the empty spot and go a tad ahead of the middle car. The middle car driver will get all flustered about his manhood getting challenged and then fly off when it goes green. You can just trail him and safely merge, because the car behind will be a slowy!

Back