Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

Friend from qld introduced me to indicating left when exiting a roundabout when entering at 6 and exiting at 12 or 3

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You can just apply a blanket 'always indicate left when leaving a roundabout' then, 9 is a given. :p

Yeah, I have no issue with this. There's lots we could pick up from oversess drivers.

I didn't even think it was an overseas thing, I just picked it up from my old man.

Where are you from? No one ever does it in Vic. But then we don't have any confusing roundabouts.

My dad learnt to drive in NSW, I watched him drive in SA and he taught me to drive in the NT.

Where are you from? No one ever does it in Vic. But then we don't have any confusing roundabouts.
The way half of our drivers approach a roundabout it would appear they are very confusing.

I mean, how hard is it to use a roundabout, some people stop for a car who is still 10 secs from entering a roundabout or wait for a car coming the opposite way who hasn't entered the roundabout.

These people cause traffic jams

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The way half of our drivers approach a roundabout it would appear they are very confusing.

I mean, how hard is it to use a roundabout, some people stop for a car who is still 10 secs from entering a roundabout or wait for a car coming the opposite way who hasn't entered the roundabout.

These people cause traffic jams

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agreed. The only thing you need to worry about is if someone to your right is stopping you from entering the roundabout. If it's clear, or if there's enough time to enter, then enter. Obviously be aware of everyone on the roundabout but ultimately you give way to your right and that's it.

How about this one?

I swear I have been seeing people indicate right when they are going straight through a roundabout
yeah I’ve noticed a few people doing that recently, it’s bloody ridiculous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bell Street exit on the Tullamarine Freeway. Use to exit further around but now they've diverted the Bell Street traffic onto the Bulla Road exit which now results in it backing up for miles. Not only do you have to wait in line for an exit you shouldn't need to get off at you then have to try and merge across traffic to get out.

How on earth these types of designs get passed is astounding.

The stupidity of this exit on the Kwinana freeway

The two left lanes are the entry point for those wishing to get on the freeway. The two right lanes are for those wishing to exit the freeway to get on to manning road which is on the far left

BD3BAC7E-4B06-473C-8C11-6F03D55503D4.jpeg

How about this one?

Thats got traffic lights.
The Bell Street exit on the Tullamarine Freeway. Use to exit further around but now they've diverted the Bell Street traffic onto the Bulla Road exit which now results in it backing up for miles. Not only do you have to wait in line for an exit you shouldn't need to get off at you then have to try and merge across traffic to get out.

How on earth these types of designs get passed is astounding.
I went past that way a few weeks ago on a 901 bus on a Saturday. Inbound was banked up all because everyone wanted Mt Alexander Road.

While not actually that confusing - there is a series of 3 almost joined ones in Mooroolbark at an intersection called 5 ways which all the locals know and hoon through. Features the cop shop on one of the corners!

While the road rules around roundabouts I think are logical and straightforward, it is a challenge to teach a learner.....”give way to your left, unless somebody coming the other way is going straight or turning left that they have to give way to, then you can likely go if it is safe, OR, judge your closing speed vs the car you should be giving way to, and if you can safety accelerate to and through the roundabout before they get there to T-bone you” (not real advice, but it is the unspoken rule haha)

While not actually that confusing - there is a series of 3 almost joined ones in Mooroolbark at an intersection called 5 ways which all the locals know and hoon through. Features the cop shop on one of the corners!

While the road rules around roundabouts I think are logical and straightforward, it is a challenge to teach a learner.....”give way to your left, unless somebody coming the other way is going straight or turning left that they have to give way to, then you can likely go if it is safe, OR, judge your closing speed vs the car you should be giving way to, and if you can safety accelerate to and through the roundabout before they get there to T-bone you” (not real advice, but it is the unspoken rule haha)
When you put it that way sure it sounds complicated(ish)

But I would like to think that in 16 years of being driven around that you would have some general idea of how they work.

They've changed the lanes on it now that hungry jacks is built

Remove this Banner Ad

Back