Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

This is when it gets really dangerous.

I always get out of the way when people want to fly past in the right line too, but the other day a tradie in a ute comes roaring up behind me while I'm in the right lane overtaking traffic in the left. I was already sitting about 5km over the limit and as soon as I cleared the traffic I indicated to move left but he'd already floored it and swerved left to get around me.

If I hadn't had one eye on my rear-view and swerved straight back into the right lane he would have rear-ended me at 110+ km an hour.

Yeah, I like the "early indicate" too when one of those zooms up behind as I'm overtaking. Yes, I will get out of your way, just give me a sec. The crazy undercutters though, when I've already got the blinker on. Yeesh! You know one day they are going to be the cause of a news story about why a freeway is shut down

I'm always curious about when you pass a cyclist and about 400m later need to turn left. You do all the right things, indicate and slow down. Does the cyclist have to slow down or do we have to give way and let them pass before we turn. I presume they need to slow down. Too many times cyclists just keep going and I have nearly hit them.
I'm not sure what the law is there. As you've probably noticed, it can present awkward and dangerous situations.

When drivers slow right down and wait for me to ride passed them (of the left, of course), and hold up traffic, I usually try to signal them to turn, especially when I'm cruising, but because I'm in their blind spot, they often don't see me.
When I'm riding harder, I try not to be in an area where busy traffic makes it worse.

I'd say roughly half of motorists in that situation are pricks and will cut me off by turning left in front of me. At least if they indicate I have half a chance of taking evasive action. Other drivers are obviously just crap and don't fa'rk up deliberately, but I reckon there are more prick drivers than incompetent ones.
Another problem is that the speed of bikes can vary much more than cars. Cars usually sit on on near the limit, but a bike can speed up dramatically on a decline. So, just when you think you've passed the cyclist, and they're long gone, 'boom', they're back on your left bumper.

I reckon you people are mad ;)
By my estimate, there are a solid 5-10% of vehicles doing the suburban commute piloted by individuals that just cannot drive. I 'member having a week's commute not long ago where every day I observed one of these people crashing into a stationary car. Now that's annoying enough if you happen to be in the unlucky vehicle. But if you're on a pushbike when one of these clowns does it - you're probably going to die. I'm sure as you state, you get pretty good at identifying these people coming, but phew, better you than me.

No doubt. :p I suppose it's about playing the percentages by doing as much as you can to be safe, and sticking to safer roads.

Touch wood, I try to be safe by sticking to Beach Rd during "off-peak directions" (such as inbound in the late arvo/evenings, then outbound much later), after getting there via South Road, Reserve Rd or side streets.

When I was younger, I stupidly rode on all the busy main roads between Bentleigh and The Dandenongs during the day, oblivious to the dangers of cars speeding around me at 80 km/h. I can remember one particular scary ride on Stud Rd, much of which wasn't sealed back then, and lanes were narrow-ish.

A few years later I had a big tumble on Nepean Hwy (just passed Mordy), which spooked me a lot. Luckily, I only had bad bruising and grazes, after being airborne for a bit, then rolling several times, without a helmet!! I've pretty much stuck to quieter roads ever since.

I'm not sure what the law is there. As you've probably noticed, it can present awkward and dangerous situations.

When drivers slow right down and wait for me to ride passed them (of the left, of course), and hold up traffic, I usually try to signal them to turn, especially when I'm cruising, but because I'm in their blind spot, they often don't see me.
When I'm riding harder, I try not to be in an area where busy traffic makes it worse.

I'd say roughly half of motorists in that situation are pricks and will cut me off by turning left in front of me. At least if they indicate I have half a chance of taking evasive action. Other drivers are obviously just crap and don't fa'rk up deliberately, but I reckon there are more prick drivers than incompetent ones.
Another problem is that the speed of bikes can vary much more than cars. Cars usually sit on on near the limit, but a bike can speed up dramatically on a decline. So, just when you think you've passed the cyclist, and they're long gone, 'boom', they're back on your left bumper.

A couple of scenarios; approaching a t-intersection driver needs to stop/give way to traffic on his left or right. Likewise so would the approaching cyclist.

Turning left off an ordinary straight road, driver is not expected to give way to vehicles overtaking on the left including cyclists

Either way cyclist gotta slow down

Well to me if im 3 or 4 car lengths in front of a bike and im turning left, he should have to slow down to let me turn, like the cars behind me. (all this presuming im driving normally and indicate with plenty of time etc)

I do occasionally ride and its interesting being on the other side. Near me there is a bridge with no shoulder so it goes from bike-lane to bridge back to bike-lane (100km/h road as well). s**t myself everytime I have to cross it, I always try and speed up or slow down so I cross the bridge with no cars coming passed me. On Saturday I had to cross with a car barelling down, he didn't slow own or nothing, just straight passed and very close to me. Nothing happened so all good but geez it gets the nerves going haha.

Same ride I came to red traffic lights where I was turning red. There was already a car waiting to turn left so indicted to him to go before me as he will be faster. Away he went and I followed. No need to be a ass and keep him waiting.

No doubt. :p I suppose it's about playing the percentages by doing as much as you can to be safe, and sticking to safer roads.

Touch wood, I try to be safe by sticking to Beach Rd during "off-peak directions" (such as inbound in the late arvo/evenings, then outbound much later), after getting there via South Road, Reserve Rd or side streets.

When I was younger, I stupidly rode on all the busy main roads between Bentleigh and The Dandenongs during the day, oblivious to the dangers of cars speeding around me at 80 km/h. I can remember one particular scary ride on Stud Rd, much of which wasn't sealed back then, and lanes were narrow-ish.

A few years later I had a big tumble on Nepean Hwy (just passed Mordy), which spooked me a lot. Luckily, I only had bad bruising and grazes, after being airborne for a bit, then rolling several times, without a helmet!! I've pretty much stuck to quieter roads ever since.

I stopped riding a while ago. It wasnt overly safe before, and now i would not feel safe at all on the roads.

Well to me if im 3 or 4 car lengths in front of a bike and im turning left, he should have to slow down to let me turn, like the cars behind me. (all this presuming im driving normally and indicate with plenty of time etc)

I do occasionally ride and its interesting being on the other side. Near me there is a bridge with no shoulder so it goes from bike-lane to bridge back to bike-lane (100km/h road as well). s**t myself everytime I have to cross it, I always try and speed up or slow down so I cross the bridge with no cars coming passed me. On Saturday I had to cross with a car barelling down, he didn't slow own or nothing, just straight passed and very close to me. Nothing happened so all good but geez it gets the nerves going haha.

Same ride I came to red traffic lights where I was turning red. There was already a car waiting to turn left so indicted to him to go before me as he will be faster. Away he went and I followed. No need to be a ass and keep him waiting.

This gladens heart. A bit of communication between rider and driver, be it a nod or indication, all no one gets hurt or angry. Everyone moves along happily.

Camberwell and Kew.

Wide streets with parked cars with plenty of room for 2 cars to pass in opposite directions, but no one deviates from the middle of the road.

People lose mirrors daily around there when all they had to do was drift to the side so both cars can pass smoothly.

High speed Mexican stand offs resulting in mirrors flying everywhere

More likely to happen in Far Kew than Near Kew.

If you haven’t done so already. Start reproducing ASAP.

I assume you are keeping the bad puns going mate - it wasn’t directed at you personally, it is a (I thought somewhat common) pun play on words of Kew. Tied it well with how you described people treating each other

I missed the mark, you can’t win them all!

I assume you are keeping the bad puns going mate - it wasn’t directed at you personally, it is a (I thought somewhat common) pun play on words of Kew. Tied it well with how you described people treating each other

I missed the mark, you can’t win them all!

..my reply alluded to it being a dad joke .. all good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Busy road heading out of town last night. Car wants to turn around and go the other direction. There's a side street there to perform a safe U Turn. But no let's try and do it outside a store front and block half the road. Driver of the car I was travelling in had to slam his brakes on and swerve.
What is wrong with people?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back