Cars & Transportation Vent about all things traffic

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Leaving work last week the car (and its trailer) in front of me lost a big sheet of corrugated metal off the back, it came flying in my direction but thankfully landed in front of me and I could swerve a bit since it was a wide road. If I'd been tailgating him, it would have hit me. Thankfully there was a decent gap as he was faster to speed up after the light than me.

Still scared the hell out of me.

Must admit, I was happy with their parent. Actually instructed them to get in to the left lane.
I find most L plate drivers to be ok and stay out of the way

Thing about L platers is they are more nervous of you than you are of them. They in general will follow road rules to the T, whereas us non L'ers don't.

Worse thing to do to an L'er is high beam or honk them.

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
Thing about L platers is they are more nervous of you than you are of them. They in general will follow road rules to the T, whereas us non L'ers don't.

Worse thing to do to an L'er is high beam or honk them.

i have a bit more patience with L platers, we was all in the same boat at some stage

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If im 100% honest, i would love to speed. Sif i wanna go 80km/h on the ******* tulla- where it looks like there is absolutely no roadworks around and there is no reason why it cant be 100.

But end of the day i dont want a ticket and ill do the ******* speed limit.

80km/h on the Tulla is one of the biggest frustrations of my life.

Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
At what point has everyone noticed their parents' driving to start declining?

My dad is at my place for the night as we are going to The Eagles at Rod Laver tonight. He arrived at midday and he offered to drive us both into town to grab some lunch.

My dad has always been a great driver, but gee I've never been more frightened sitting in the passenger seat with him, even for a trip into a small suburban shopping centre. He tried to park in one of those angled parks in between two cars, he was almost sideways, I've honestly no idea how he didn't hit either car beside him. When I told him how bad of a parking job it was, he shot back with "oh, it's only bad because the cars beside me came while we were in having lunch" :drunk:

He's only 68 btw.

My dad is at my place for the night as we are going to The Eagles at Rod Laver tonight. He arrived at midday and he offered to drive us both into town to grab some lunch.

My dad has always been a great driver, but gee I've never been more frightened sitting in the passenger seat with him, even for a trip into a small suburban shopping centre. He tried to park in one of those angled parks in between two cars, he was almost sideways, I've honestly no idea how he didn't hit either car beside him. When I told him how bad of a parking job it was, he shot back with "oh, it's only bad because the cars beside me came while we were in having lunch" :drunk:

He's only 68 btw.
Haven't been in the car with either of my parents for a while but I know my dad has admitted to not liking driving at night anymore due to visibility issues, he's 70

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants

He's only 68 btw.

haven't been in the car with either of my parents for years, my old man is the same age and he still does country driving for work, cant be too bad yet

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My Mum was never great to be honest. Haven't been a passenger for her for yonks. She always gets me to drive if we're together. Even if it's her car.

Step Father dropped off a cliff driving wise in his early 70's. He was always an over aggressive speeder in late middle age. Reckon he must have scared himself because he's gone completely the other way now.

SHAKESPEARE

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 21, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My Mum was never great to be honest. Haven't been a passenger for her for yonks. She always gets me to drive if we're together. Even if it's her car.
My old lady is a gun driver. She hates driving with me.

We go out and about a fair bit. It's a good time to catch up. My old man is a ******* deadshit driver. He is an accident waiting to happen. He doesn't use the wipers or indicators because using them causing the wipers and the indicator bulbs to wear out quicker.

Absolute nightmare

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Busy road heading out of town last night. Car wants to turn around and go the other direction. There's a side street there to perform a safe U Turn. But no let's try and do it outside a store front and block half the road. Driver of the car I was travelling in had to slam his brakes on and swerve.
What is wrong with people?

I saw something similar a couple of years ago when I was a passenger on a bus that was on Station St Box Hill waiting to turn right on Whitehorse Rd. A few vehicles in front of the bus waiting to move as well. Shopping strip on both sides.

Driver in front of the bus suddenly decided to make a U turn. Bus driver lost his s**t and yelled at the driver via the loudspeaker that it was an illegal manoeuvre. Took the driver about a minute to complete her U turn.

Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
******* push start cars. Every time the remote battery starts to die, the system ****s up. WTF is wrong with keys. Stupid car makers.

I have a push start car. Only ever had to replace the battery once in the 2.5 years I've owned it. Love not having to use keys! Passive lock/unlock system is brilliant as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin
I have a push start car. Only ever had to replace the battery once in the 2.5 years I've owned it. Love not having to use keys! Passive lock/unlock system is brilliant as well.

Can a new phrase be coined rather than “push start” I’m having visions of clutch in, second gear and someone pushing the car to get it going.

People in the right lane - for the 1000th time this thread.

Also the bloke I almost ran over last night, was going around a sweeping corner and the power was out everywhere so no street lights on, old mate is walking in the centre of the road towards oncoming traffic.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
*ers who are a red X. This particular example is Leach Hwy near Piney Lakes Reserve in Winthrop.

1552536858272.png

Turning left in this scenario isn't complicated but obviously affected by traffic. When traffic is stopped due to a red light ahead you are a *stick if you are the leftmost red X and prevent people from turning left. Seriously just wait 10-15m further back, it isn't going to slow you down.

If you are one of the red Xs in the middle you are king of the *sticks. You are preventing people turning right from the slip lane and from turning right across 3 lanes into the island in the middle. Does my absolute head in how often I see something like this (my artistic skillz are mad I know):

1552537287715.png

One complete nimrod completely unaware of everything happening around them.

PT Bar None

Banal Chaos
Cake Connoisseur
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
******s who are a red X. This particular example is Leach Hwy near Piney Lakes Reserve in Winthrop.

View attachment 634883

Turning left in this scenario isn't complicated but obviously affected by traffic. When traffic is stopped due to a red light ahead you are a ****stick if you are the leftmost red X and prevent people from turning left. Seriously just wait 10-15m further back, it isn't going to slow you down.

If you are one of the red Xs in the middle you are king of the ****sticks. You are preventing people turning right from the slip lane and from turning right across 3 lanes into the island in the middle. Does my absolute head in how often I see something like this (my artistic skillz are mad I know):

View attachment 634892

Could do with some "Keep Clear" markings on the road. Not that that stops some people

******s who are a red X. This particular example is Leach Hwy near Piney Lakes Reserve in Winthrop.

View attachment 634883

Turning left in this scenario isn't complicated but obviously affected by traffic. When traffic is stopped due to a red light ahead you are a ****stick if you are the leftmost red X and prevent people from turning left. Seriously just wait 10-15m further back, it isn't going to slow you down.

If you are one of the red Xs in the middle you are king of the ****sticks. You are preventing people turning right from the slip lane and from turning right across 3 lanes into the island in the middle. Does my absolute head in how often I see something like this (my artistic skillz are mad I know):

View attachment 634892

In a way it's not that dumb. Stops someone going when someone is coming in a lane.

ToddaRools

Team Captain
Jan 30, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Drivers that don’t give way to you when your reversing into a parallel park, I was millimeters away from having my front end wiped out on smith st today by some ass clown speeding past

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Drivers that don’t give way to you when your reversing into a parallel park, I was millimeters away from having my front end wiped out on smith st today by some ass clown speeding past

Are teenagers in Melbourne not taught to do this? I grew up in Tassie, and I swear I'm the only *in guy in the northern suburbs who gives way to people who are reverse parallel parking.

Yeah, it might hold up your journey for 20 seconds... but people in Melbourne were also apparently never taught to reverse park, so you get to watch someone's hilariously pathetic reverse park at least 50% of the time.

Are teenagers in Melbourne not taught to do this? I grew up in Tassie, and I swear I'm the only ****in guy in the northern suburbs who gives way to people who are reverse parallel parking.

Yeah, it might hold up your journey for 20 seconds... but people in Melbourne were also apparently never taught to reverse park, so you get to watch someone's hilariously pathetic reverse park at least 50% of the time.
It doesn't just hold up people. It holds up trams. If I had my way parking on tram routes would be gone.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
It doesn't just hold up people. It holds up trams. If I had my way parking on tram routes would be gone.

In an ideal world, maybe - but I'm on the 86 route, and it's just not feasible on streets like Gertrude, Smith, High and Plenty Rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back