Roast Vent Here

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think everyone knows that was the weakest Eagles team we've played since 2016, and we failed miserably.
That's the problem.
Too much left to too few
It's the mentality of a team not ready for the hard stuff. Currently, the Eagles are our biggest bridge to cross and we weren't mentally ready. I thought we were ready for the fight, but not up to it. Sadly I was wrong.

They were always going to score with their forward and our defenders, which is why the whole team needed to crack in and they didn't.

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
I don't mind big losses (less so against WC). Just about every team is having them this year.

It's the injuries to key players, year after year after year which takes away any hope of an improvement next week. There's no 'regathering the troops' when they are lying half dead in the hospital for the next few months. It's something that Freo has failed to fix for the past 5 years or so.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't mind big losses (less so against WC). Just about every team is having them this year.

It's the injuries to key players, year after year after year which takes away any hope of an improvement next week. There's no 'regathering the troops' when they are lying half dead in the hospital for the next few months. It's something that Freo has failed to fix for the past 5 years or so.
It doesn't feel like consolation for all but I do take some solace out of the fact that so many are contact injuries and not soft tissue. Sure, Young's was bad but even from the weekend, all of Hughes, Chapman and Sturt are contact injuries.

S&C has next to no control of contact injuries, I am/was hoping for some improvements to soft tissue (I don't count Shill because he is perma-broken).

Mar 18, 2012
Vic
AFL Club
Fremantle
Less than a week ago some on here were celebrating that we were 4 and 2 and sitting sixth on the ladder. How are they feeling now?

I wouldn't say I celebrated, but I was happy for the position we were in and that we had an opportunity to go 5-2 by beating the cross town rival, and maybe even becoming relevant again on the AFL landscape. When you've been as bad as we have been, you have to celebrate any wins you can get to remind you why you love the club, there's no point being forever miserable.

As s**t as this loss was, I'll still get excited about the chance to redeem ourselves with a gritty away win against a top 8 team at the Gabba, and move back into the 8. Even though I know I will probably be disappointed again afterwards.

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
It doesn't feel like consolation for all but I do take some solace out of the fact that so many are contact injuries and not soft tissue. Sure, Young's was bad but even from the weekend, all of Hughes, Chapman and Sturt are contact injuries.

S&C has next to no control of contact injuries, I am/was hoping for some improvements to soft tissue (I don't count Shill because he is perma-broken).
like a pre-serum Steve Rogers that couldn't get a GF, still doesn't get a GF after bulking up because of the large amounts of serum-induced backne (left out by Marvel surprisingly). Same result. Sorry but no solace.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone who pushes the ‘ it’s just another game ‘ narrative is missing the point of what performing well in Derby’s really shows. I think it means you are the type of player who can handle the pressure and stress of finals footy

IMO you could just about revolve your whole list management strategy of contracted players around them

Not every player has to star or even outperform expectations but if you consistently don’t play to your level

Bye Bye

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A.
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
I know I'm not taking my own advice here, and compartmentalising the negative emotions that come with supporting this football team in an effort to stifle their influence on my everyday life....but if we don't achieve a finals berth this year (and I don't think we will), what will the net affect be on membership numbers? How many more years of results that can only be described as "less than middling" can we all withstand?

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know I'm not taking my own advice here, and compartmentalising the negative emotions that come with supporting this football team in an effort to stifle their influence on my everyday life....but if we don't achieve a finals berth this year (and I don't think we will), what will the net affect be on membership numbers? How many more years of results that can only be described as "less than middling" can we all withstand?

I don't think finals will be the sole indicator. I think fans want to see hope and some light at the end of the tunnel.

Personally, I would just like to see more consistent footy and very little to no blowouts. It would also be good to see the youth coming through (including Henry, Treacey, Sturt). I just want hope that things MIGHT be okay.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

Finals !!!

We look about the 5th or 6th worst side in it to me

Can’t apply pressure and crumble when it’s put on us , it’s not a winning combination funnily enough

We’re in big trouble

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Mogumber

Club Legend
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon we will be bottom 4, and Cerra will want to go home.
Then we re-assess everything.
And that means Walls as well, he hasn't set the world on fire IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

heypenny

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
London
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon we will be bottom 4, and Cerra will want to go home.
Then we re-assess everything.
And that means Walls as well, he hasn't set the world on fire IMO

Walls? Our recruiting has been very good. We're still plagued by trading decisions between 15-18.

If we finish bottom 4, we need to be aiming higher. The best organisations are run well at the TOP. There should be more scrutiny on Alcock and the rest of the board. I would like to give Garlick more time but I'm sensing a lack of killer instinct.

Wilksyy

Tab on a 🦀
Aug 26, 2018
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Leeds Utd

All Freo need to do is get some surprise wins and the hope is restored again. To quote Michael Corleone -

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
I think we are clearly better than bottom 4.

North
Hawks
Pies (although they could rally)
Crows

Unfortunately, there hasn't been enough to say we are clearly better than anyone else. 14th is the lowest we could finish I'd say.
...This is a glowing endorsement of the rebuild 🤣

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
...This is a glowing endorsement of the rebuild 🤣
It is what it is.

I could add I think we are better than Essendon and Gold Coast, but I don't say it with conviction which is why I left them out.

If you're being honest, having us higher is not based on anything other than assuming we are special.

Carlton started their rebuild before us and are older and more experienced
GWS have lost a few but still have a ridiculous amount of talent and played in a GF two years ago
Saints played finals last year with the same team
Sydney - academy

There is no good reason we should be better than any of them and I don't think we are (maybe Sydney as the season rolls on).

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think we are clearly better than bottom 4.

North
Hawks
Pies (although they could rally)
Crows

Unfortunately, there hasn't been enough to say we are clearly better than anyone else. 14th is the lowest we could finish I'd say.
Pies are in a world of hurt, and to get Daicos, heard another player will go due to salary cap pressure.
If Bucks goes would he make a good assistant here?

WaywardSonSon

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
It is what it is.

I could add I think we are better than Essendon and Gold Coast, but I don't say it with conviction which is why I left them out.

If you're being honest, having us higher is not based on anything other than assuming we are special.

Carlton started their rebuild before us and are older and more experienced
GWS have lost a few but still have a ridiculous amount of talent and played in a GF two years ago
Saints played finals last year with the same team
Sydney - academy

There is no good reason we should be better than any of them and I don't think we are (maybe Sydney as the season rolls on).
No, in all honesty, I agree with you - as much as it's sobering to type out (that we find ourselves in the predicament we are in, not that I agree with you haha).
The lack of clear direction in regard to drafting forwards, a failure to retain important players, the complete inability to consistently diagnose and rehabilitate injuries to key personnel AND the excessively long extension of Lyon's final contract has lead us to the point on the path we found ourselves at today.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
My favourite part is when peoples opinions of themselves (not their team) increase because their team gets better. A person is smart but **** me some people are dumb.

Bad news, if you were a flog who knew little about football when your team won the spoon, you are probably still a flog who knows little about football when they won the flag.
Otherwise known as Hawthorn syndrome

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
no our drafting has been excellent. remember the rebuild started in 2016. those players drafted at the start of the rebuild are only 22. I cannot stress this enough; if we are relying on the players drafted in a rebuild they are 4 years away as a collective to deliver a premiership. at the moment they are supporting cast to a cobbled together core of hamling, tabs, fyfe, mundy, walters, pearce, lobb, aish, tucker, conca, wilson and acres. (imo our current core wont win a premiership).

More on our drafting;
I have only included possible best 22 players. (bold means they are best 22, with some playing best 22 for their development)
2016 - griffen logue, sean darcy, brennan cox, luke ryan and taylin duman.
2017 - andrew brayshaw, adam cerra, mitchell crowden, sam switkowski, lloyd meek and stefan giro
2018 - sam sturt, luke valente, lachlan shultz, brett bewely, tobe watson.
2019 - hayden young, caleb serong, liam henry, minairo frederick
2020 - heath chapman, josh treacy, joel western (although i have not seen enough of this draft)

that is insane drafting, but as a collective they are 4 years away (that is the reality of young players) peaking in 8 years. This young core may snag a premiership.
players i expect to make an all australian squad of 40 over the next 8 years; caleb serong, luke ryan, andrew brayshaw, adam cerra, freddy, hayden young, heath chapman, liam henry and with the potential of a sturt or shultz

We have never drafted so well in terms of depth of talent in such little space of time. Maybe nobody compares to our brightest stars from rebuild past such as fyfe, pav, mcpharlin and sandi, but that may be the point. Perhaps depth of talent will get us that elusive flag.

we have 8 years of drafting before that young core peaks. 8 years to complement it.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
We've shat the bed twice in seven games.

Both times (Carlton/WC) we knew that our opposition would come out hard because they had been roasted by the press all week. Not only did we completely fail both times we embarrassed ourselves.

I still have no idea how JLo didn't think that maybe he should try to curtail the influence of Kelly or Gaff. Deer in the headlights or what.

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pies are in a world of hurt, and to get Daicos, heard another player will go due to salary cap pressure.
If Bucks goes would he make a good assistant here?
It's not for salary cap pressure as Daicos is a draftee. It is to get back in the draft since they don't have enough points to cover the bid, so they can only get one draftee next year (Daicos), and next year's first pick will be pushed a long way back from the defecit.

Not ideal if you are rebuilding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back