Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a few mates who are Melbourne supporters. They are grateful for what Roos did, but said the first 2 years was unwatchable and almost distressing. Only won 11 games and averaged a measly 65 points a game in 2014-15. No thanks.

We were way more entertaining and took on the game more under Bluey than Rocket.
There's nothing exciting about Rocket Footy.
I'll take ugly footy though to sing the song.
The Bluey game plan was better and the boys bought in to his coaching more.
Sadly though There were those "other"
Issues away from the park.

I have a few mates who are Melbourne supporters. They are grateful for what Roos did, but said the first 2 years was unwatchable and almost distressing. Only won 11 games and averaged a measly 65 points a game in 2014-15. No thanks.
Exactly the same in St kilda's Grand Final years under Lyon absolutely unwatchable.
When watching Saints under Lyon most weeks it would be a 59 to 45 win. Sorry but l'm just not watching that s**t it's killing the game.
Watch the 1989 Grand Final and tell me the game has improved BS it's gone backwards.

Exactly the same in St kilda's Grand Final years under Lyon absolutely unwatchable.
When watching Saints under Lyon most weeks it would be a 59 to 45 win. Sorry but l'm just not watching that s**t it's killing the game.
Watch the 1989 Grand Final and tell me the game has improved BS it's gone backwards.
I honestly couldn't care less how we play as long as we win. The final score could be 1-0. You take wins anyway they come.

O
I honestly couldn't care less how we play as long as we win. The final score could be 1-0. You take wins anyway they come.
Sorry must be old fashioned l actually want some entertainment.
I'm hearing you friend we need to win but surely everyone wants an entertaining specitical.
So many games now are just so boring.

No way our blokes could play that defensive game - no bodies - no tacklers - no accountability .
Where exactly does our team rate in tackling ?
Coaches like Roos and Lyon wouldn't be interesrted in us.- wrong personnel and would take too long to change it...
(Roos only does two years at a time anyway..)

O

Sorry must be old fashioned l actually want some entertainment.
I'm hearing you friend we need to win but surely everyone wants an entertaining specitical.
So many games now are just so boring.
I see what you're saying i think with clubs like Melbourne and Carlton they have worked on developing their defensive side before the attacking because it's harder to learn. If defensive football will mean Aaron Hall will run both ways and our structures fit all conditions. Then i'm happy for the defensive side first. You gotta take advantage of what you've got, with a forward line of Lynch, Wright and Day i'm sure we'll always be pretty attacking.

I see what you're saying i think with clubs like Melbourne and Carlton they have worked on developing their defensive side before the attacking because it's harder to learn. If defensive football will mean Aaron Hall will run both ways and our structures fit all conditions. Then i'm happy for the defensive side first. You gotta take advantage of what you've got, with a forward line of Lynch, Wright and Day i'm sure we'll always be pretty attacking.
I just want to see our game what is should be about a bit of space and football skills.
This both sides completely in 1/3 of the ground at all times has got to stop its killing the game. It's terrible to watch.
Defence should be about beating your man and chasing not just about aerobic capacities to run up and down the ground and bloody running patterns. WTF is running patterns anyway. How about reading the play and winning the ball patterns and football ability.

We were way more entertaining and took on the game more under Bluey than Rocket.
There's nothing exciting about Rocket Footy.
I'll take ugly footy though to sing the song.
The Bluey game plan was better and the boys bought in to his coaching more.
Sadly though There were those "other"
Issues away from the park.
Wow
Lots of rose coloured retrospectoscope
In 2014 when we should have been on the up we lost 10 of the last 13 matches under the magical Bluey McKennna
We were getting worse, not better
He played favourites and had no accountability and had no idea on gameday
If you don't remember us getting killed on the rebound continuously you weren't watching us too much
Caddy Dixon Prestia and O'Cockface had all decided to walk by the end of 2014
Who hasn't re-signed since Rocket arrived other than them?
This is a different Club playing disappointing footy
But we are crippled by injury
You can't create a winning culture unless you start winning, and you can't do that in today's AFL with half a list
Exhibit A: Sydney 0-6 was all down to their injuries.Maybe they shhould have sacked John Longmire mid season?

I just want to see our game what is should be about a bit of space and football skills.
This both sides completely in 1/3 of the ground at all times has got to stop its killing the game. It's terrible to watch.
Defence should be about beating your man and chasing not just about aerobic capacities to run up and down the ground and bloody running patterns. WTF is running patterns anyway. How about reading the play and winning the ball patterns and football ability.

I believe it's a simple fix and it's reduced interchange. Players would naturally spread out around the ground and not give repeat efforts if they are exhausted. It will also bring back more one on one footy and key positional play. I think the perfect number of interchanges are 15 each per game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it's a simple fix and it's reduced interchange. Players would naturally spread out around the ground and not give repeat efforts if they are exhausted. It will also bring back more one on one footy and key positional play. I think the perfect number of interchanges are 15 each per game.

Agree but 15 each per game is ridiculous. I think 15 each per qtr is more appropriate.

Agree but 15 each per game is ridiculous. I think 15 each per qtr is more appropriate.

Flooding started to occur when coaches used more then 40 interchanges a game, because players could give 5 to 8 minutes of effort then have a brake. If you have midfielders rest in the forward or back pockets instead of the bench the game would naturally brake open earlier in the match.

Flooding started to occur when coaches used more then 40 interchanges a game, because players could give 5 to 8 minutes of effort then have a brake. If you have midfielders rest in the forward or back pockets instead of the bench the game would naturally brake open earlier in the match.

40 plus unlimited changes during breaks I think is probably about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but said the first 2 years was unwatchable and almost distressing. Only won 11 games and averaged a measly 65 points a game in 2014-15. No thanks.
Sometimes you need to take 2 steps back to take 3 steps forward. Our boys need to get some mongrel defensive pressure about them, you cannot teach that whilst also teaching to be a running attacking side.

Sometimes you need to take 2 steps back to take 3 steps forward. Our boys need to get some mongrel defensive pressure about them, you cannot teach that whilst also teaching to be a running attacking side.
A rolling Ross Lyon flood where every player has to be within 60 metres of the ball doesn't teach anything. I look at Lions of 01-03, Cats & Hawks the last decade. Attacking, but they run both ways because they're disciplined and fit

A rolling Ross Lyon flood where every player has to be within 60 metres of the ball doesn't teach anything. I look at Lions of 01-03, Cats & Hawks the last decade. Attacking, but they run both ways because they're disciplined and fit
Exactly. The rolling flood is absolute pure crap.

Exactly. The rolling flood is absolute pure crap.
You dont have to play a rolling flood. the Cats and Hawks were also taught to play great defensive football, we have never been taught that. Teams that play fast flashy attacking football get found out when finals come around.

Coaches overcomplicate this game. It's simple good sides want the ball more. Sides that play harder, chase longer and put there heads down over the ball will win 90% of the time.

I've long thought Brisbane will go past us soon
Yeah they have
Fagan brought culture in one season

Well done Rocket
I'm not sure Rocket is to solely blame for it. A culture of laziness was allowed to fester early days unchecked. Also as exile posted it appears we have a list manager that refuses to believe he got a pick wrong and hangs onto them for too many years clogging the list.

As Lynch said in the commentary, their senior and mid-level players are all in form which helps their kids immensely. Ours are all out of form or not good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back