Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL has 9 matches per round. I find how the AFL tries to fit 8 matches Into Saturday/Sunday a bit of a waste.
Why doesn’t the AFL utilise Thursday and/or Monday into their weekly schedule?

I don’t like how there are 2 matches played at the same time on Saturday arvo as I see Saturday daytime as kids sport and punting on the races time.

I’d like people’s thoughts on AFL scheduling please

The AFL has 9 matches per round. I find how the AFL tries to fit 8 matches Into Saturday/Sunday a bit of a waste.

I don’t like how there are 2 matches played at the same time on Saturday arvo as I see Saturday daytime as kids sport and punting in the races time.

It becomes hard with weekly turn around a, most teams have a 6 day turn around between games, more or less becomes harder on the teams. NFL generally play on either side of the weekend as well.
Need to recover from the riggers of weekly games

I don’t like how there are 2 matches played at the same time on Saturday arvo as I see Saturday daytime as kids sport and punting on the races time.

The NRL manage it ok, although my Tigers always seem to get a dud draw. When your team plays a succession of games with 6 day turnarounds, eg. Monday then Sunday then Saturday then Friday, you really notice how the results bear out. But when it comes to State of Origin players will back up a couple of days later because they are on a high and have the benefit of a 10 day break between games heading into it. One thing they do better is have 2 Friday night games, usually telecast alternately in QLD and NSW.
The NFL is different again, playing a stand alone game on Thursday, nothing on Friday because high school football kills the ratings, nothing on Saturday until the Playoffs to allow for the blanket coverage of College Football, then up to 14 of 16 played over 2 time zones on Sunday (monday morning our time) and the last game on Monday night which can be the highest rating games outside of the playoffs.
Neither system really works for AFL, although 2 games on Friday night would satisfy certain markets much more, eg. Port vs WC would rate well in the West and any game involving a VIC team would satisfy the majority of AFL fans. During the Brisbane Lions golden era they had a contract with Channel 10 that meant their games were never ever scheduled on a Friday night with Channel 9 and Eddie McGuire. Probably contributed to the 3-peat.
I reckon if a 3rd player in the market came along to take a couple of games off Foxtel then you'd see smarter scheduling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always love the saturday afternoon footy. Usually two matches in the afternoon so if one's bad you can watch the other then we usually play Saturday twilight then you got two on Saturday night which is great again if one is a smashing. Thursday's are good as well every now and then. I like the AFL format but i guess whatever your used to is what you like more.

Current format is fine. Footy on a saturday arvo is tradition. Saturday morning is for kids sport. And punting on furry dinosaurs shouldnt hinder an afl game. I do like the thusday night games however if suns played thursday night i wouldnt go its too late a night with a 5am start the next day.

The AFL tried Monday night footy a few years back and it wasn't very popular so they scrapped it. If you have a look through the draw, you'll find seven Thursday night games this season so that's already happening, just not on a weekly basis.

My 9yo is better than me

My son won it a few weeks ago, the more I watch him play, the more I understand the game, the more impressed I am that he was able to

Watt the *?

Anyone watching the Poooort game can tell me how on earth he's kicked 5?

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Watt the ****?

Anyone watching the Poooort game can tell me how on earth he's kicked 5?

Dickhead had a dirty game and got pretty fired up, which meant Port had to find a different target up forward. Charlie had 5 clangers from his first 5 touches (ended with 7 from 13) and gave away 5 free kicks for just 1 goal. Watts, on the other hand, was getting his hands on the footy and everything he touched turned to gold, with 6 goals and 2 goal assists. But Port's best player was Justin Westhoff, who is just a force of nature with no particular set position. Nobody seems to know his actual height, between 195 and 200cm, and he seems to be getting better with age.
We have several players with the potential to play tall swingman, with Day being the obvious one, but I have hopes that young Crossley will develop into a versatile role player and backup ruckman. 2MP could be the next Joe Daniher or even Paul Salmon, but it could be a wiser move to keep him developing as a forward until Lynch decides to stay or go.

Dickhead had a dirty game and got pretty fired up, which meant Port had to find a different target up forward. Charlie had 5 clangers from his first 5 touches (ended with 7 from 13) and gave away 5 free kicks for just 1 goal. Watts, on the other hand, was getting his hands on the footy and everything he touched turned to gold, with 6 goals and 2 goal assists. But Port's best player was Justin Westhoff, who is just a force of nature with no particular set position. Nobody seems to know his actual height, between 195 and 200cm, and he seems to be getting better with age.
We have several players with the potential to play tall swingman, with Day being the obvious one, but I have hopes that young Crossley will develop into a versatile role player and backup ruckman. 2MP could be the next Joe Daniher or even Paul Salmon, but it could be a wiser move to keep him developing as a forward until Lynch decides to stay or go.
Westhoff has always been a freak just inconsistent. He's like 199cm and the best endurance runner they have.

Westhoff has always been a freak just inconsistent. He's like 199cm and the best endurance runner they have.

I went to 3 different sources that had him list as 6'6, 199cm and 200cm
You wouldn't want another one like him, which is probably why they let go Trengove.
If Day can be this guy for the Suns, it could be a 2 to 3 goal advantage.

This is pretty funny. Blacktown, GWS' original home is now called the Blacktown Suns

ZSVBTxx.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back