Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Answer is we could have waited a season and drafted LDU and had both LDU and Weller in our 2019 team.
My opinion ,Weller one year under Dew plus putting AFL Game time to 2016 4 top 10 pick are better than LDU . Developing players take time (LDU, Bowes , ainsworth etc) , Endurance , how to tackles , pre season , learning new game plan , gel as a team all need to be considered.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
My question is why wait one season.

I agree, just going off the assumption that he would have been cheaper to trade for being out of contract. Who knows, he may have had a break out year at Freo had we not traded for him and would have wound up having to give up a 1st for him anyway, or something.

Happy to have him in any case, and if we manage to somehow win a premiership with him playing a role in the team at some point in the future then I couldn't care less what we had to give up for him.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Or it could end up being LDU or lynch.
If Lynch stays i'd argue a strong point its because we chose weller over LDU.
People need to keep this front of mind when talking about the Weller trade because you can bet your bottom dollar club officials were thinking about ways to maximum their chances of keeping Lynch long-term and one of the best methods to achieve that goal is to increase your chances of winning by recruiting best 22 AFL players from other clubs.

If Suns supporters were asked to pick one of the following outcomes; which would they pick?
  • Trade in Weller, trade out pick 2 and keep Lynch beyond 2018.
  • Keep pick 2, trade in Weller later this year, lose Lynch later this year.
It's pretty obvious which is the better option going forward.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
People need to keep this front of mind when talking about the Weller trade because you can bet your bottom dollar club officials were thinking about ways to maximum their chances of keeping Lynch long-term and one of the best methods to achieve that goal is to increase your chances of winning by recruiting best 22 AFL players from other clubs.

If Suns supporters were asked to pick one of the following outcomes; which would they pick?
  • Trade in Weller, trade out pick 2 and keep Lynch beyond 2018.
  • Keep pick 2, trade in Weller later this year, lose Lynch later this year.
It's pretty obvious which is the better option going forward.

Come on Matchu there’s more options than those two
That’s loaded

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Come on Matchu there’s more options than those two
That’s loaded
Of course there are more options but I'm trying to stress there was a sense of urgency in creating a good environment for Lynch to decide to commit long-term. Weller makes the team better in 2018, pick 2 doesn't come with anywhere near that kind of guarantee.

Tom Lynch is entering the prime of his career and wants to compete NOW, not in a few years when pick 2 is likely to start living up to his potential. Sometimes you have to take a risk in the hope that it will snowball into multiple positive outcomes. The club MUST NOT turn into a revolving door of talent/draft picks.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If, Suns had passed on Weller and drafted LDU with Pick #2
and
If West Coast finish midtable
and
If the Suns finish midtable
and
If the Lions finish lower than the Suns
then
Brisbane could offer a higher 1st round pick than GC at the 2018 Trade period
then Weller "comes home" in 2018 to QLD

Just one of the many scenarios that the Suns list management meetings would have discussed prior to going all in on the West Coast and Fremantle trades.

Suns list in 2018 is a lot better than 2017 in terms of depth and the trade/draft put players in our system that will take less time to develop. The broom got rid of 7 players who played mostly NEAFL and will play out their careers in State Leagues, plus 4 players no longer committed to the cause, replacing them with 3 players ready to step straight into the top 22, 5 players already developing in the system, plus a further 4 highly rated players to develop in the system.

OUT: Ablett 33, Saad 23, Matera 26, McKenzie 26, Loersch 22, Davis 28, Shaw 26, Brooksby 27, Currie 29, Grant 28, Hallahan 25, Willis 22
IN: Weller 22, Young 25, Holman 22, Wigg 21, Powell 18, Ballard 18, Crossley 18, Nutting 18, Heron 18, Dawson 18, Jaska 20, Willis 22
Plus extra picks in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Round of 2018 Draft

The key to this whole set of transactions was getting Weller. Powell was a bonus from Geelong receiving a weird 1st round comp for Motlop, Young and Wigg came for virtually nothing, and 6 of the new recruits are 20 or over.

It was a smart recruitment drive in which the Suns were the most active club again.

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’m going to have a whinge about On The Couch now.
I feel without a Journo on it to liven things up with some courageous opinion it becomes too much of a everyone is good love fest. They need to find a replacement for Mike Sheahan.
Footy Classified is probably my favourite purely because Caro spices it up a bit by having a crack.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Likewise. That $39mth HD sports deal with no lock in over 12 months is good. Very good for Foxtel considering they are ridiculously expensive usually.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
Dont you have to purchase another pack aswell? I thought $39 was on top of a movies or entertainment pack.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Dont you have to purchase another pack aswell? I thought $39 was on top of a movies or entertainment pack.
That’s my understanding as well, you have to buy the base pack of crap channels you will never watch and then upgrade to get the sports. At least that’s what I have

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Anyone else think the Bulletin's AFL?suns coverage has been nothing short of a joke this year?
First game of the season and we get a single article on Wil Powell sitting underneath women's soccer and horseracing and of course the obligatory 100 Titans' pieces
Will consider dropping my subscription if it continues
Hopeless

Greendogg

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Anyone else think the Bulletin's AFL?suns coverage has been nothing short of a joke this year?
First game of the season and we get a single article on Wil Powell sitting underneath women's soccer and horseracing and of course the obligatory 100 Titans' pieces
Will consider dropping my subscription if it continues
Hopeless
You've got a subscription?? To the Bully? So you're the one!

LynchysMob

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah you do but the whole lot is $39 with the promo for 12mths until 28th of this month.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Yeah it's crazy good IMO. $39 bucks, opt out whenever you want, for every AFL game live and HD (plus league, union, ESPN for US sports, etc). Plus they throw in HD Nat Geo and Discovery for late light mindless viewings. I ******* hate Foxtel but that's pretty impressive.

Plus free installation, and no box fee. Had mine installed yesterday.

Back