Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

Foxtel need to do something with all the online streaming services killing them. A heap of ppl are going the specific annual passes as well which mean Foxtel becomes useless for most. They need to bring the price down, Foxtel now is a step in the right direction
Agreed the only thing going for them is live sport. Still $40 per month is too much in my opinion.

Anyone else think the Bulletin's AFL?suns coverage has been nothing short of a joke this year?
First game of the season and we get a single article on Wil Powell sitting underneath women's soccer and horseracing and of course the obligatory 100 Titans' pieces
Will consider dropping my subscription if it continues
Hopeless
This was their response
Meh

Hi Sandy,
Thanks for your email to the Bulletin's editorial inbox.

We really appreciate your support and are always looking for ways to improve our AFL coverage. We have a few big ticket items on the Suns coming up either side of the Commonwealth Games which I hope you will enjoy reading.
Simply, the more these stories are read by loyal readers like yourself, the more exposure they get. We hope to continue to push that cause.

Thanks again for your support.

RHYS O'NEILL
Sports Editor

Fox Footy have just released their Power Rankings and understandably we only went up one spot....no problems with that, but it was this line that got my attention..
It was still an important win, particularly given we expect these teams to be competing for ladder position all year. But we will need to see the Suns do it against a side that didn’t finish in last year’s bottom five before pushing them much higher in the Power Rankings.

As I read that, it seems to me that being a bottom 4 side (forget the ladder for a moment) along with Nth,Lions,Carlton, then we need to beat a higher placed team to rise in their rankings.

Can someone explain then how Carlton went up 5 spots from 16th to 11th when they LOST to a top 5 side....:think::think::think:

Fox Footy have just released their Power Rankings and understandably we only went up one spot....no problems with that, but it was this line that got my attention..
It was still an important win, particularly given we expect these teams to be competing for ladder position all year. But we will need to see the Suns do it against a side that didn’t finish in last year’s bottom five before pushing them much higher in the Power Rankings.

As I read that, it seems to me that being a bottom 4 side (forget the ladder for a moment) along with Nth,Lions,Carlton, then we need to beat a higher placed team to rise in their rankings.

Can someone explain then how Carlton went up 5 spots from 16th to 11th when they LOST to a top 5 side....:think::think::think:
Victoria media are ridiculous. Most have Carlton as a clear favourite. It should work in our favour.

Only Paul Roos knows what he talks about.

"Roos also pointed out that the Tigers had 71 inside 50s in Thursday night’s game and outscored the Blues by 55 points (120-65) after Bolton’s boys kicked the first five goals."

Because Carlton supporters are a lot louder than us when they're 'on the up' - It keeps them firmly in public spotlight and pressures the media to write positively about them to sell articles/papers. It's what happens when you have one of the largest supporter bases, in an AFL dominant city. It's the same reason that often their young players were given rising star nominations when they weren't the best candidate that week, and that Patrick Cripps is dominating the Poll on top 10 U23 players in the league on the AFL website, over players like Josh Kelly/Jesse Hogan/Marcus Bontempelli/Isaac Heeney/Matt Crouch etc.

It's fine though. Just makes it even sweeter if we do happen to beat them this week.

Victoria media are ridiculous. Most have Carlton as a clear favourite. It should work in our favour.

"Roos also pointed out that the Tigers had 71 inside 50s in Thursday night’s game and outscored the Blues by 55 points (120-65) after Bolton’s boys kicked the first five goals."
Thats a damn good stat. With our pressure inside 50 i think we could really punish the blues backline. Which minus docherty will likely struggle with rebounding.

Man the level of cringe in this video made me shiver. I actually feel sorry for the players

Carlton also scored 4 cheap goals from 5 50m penalties given for Richmond players being in the ''protected area". Without the 50 - none of them were certainties....a good help up from the umps.
Suns beware ...

You telling me their bottom 8 isn't

18. Gold Coast
17. Brisbane
16. GWS
15. Sydney
14. Fremantle
13. West Coast
12. Port Adelaide
11. Adelaide

I'm shocked

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that the Queen Street Mall? Man, how times have changed. I can remember the Lions cavalcade through there after their first? Premiership win and it was absolutely packed. Should’ve put the free burger/tickets on the end of the autograph line and made the public walk the gauntlet.

Actually pretty stoked that North are putting the saints to the sword. even if it is a little scrappy, gives our win last week a bit more validity. Just need to beat Carlton tomorrow.
I can't believe North run out the game much strongly. Saints looked terrible especially second half.

Actually pretty stoked that North are putting the saints to the sword. even if it is a little scrappy, gives our win last week a bit more validity. Just need to beat Carlton tomorrow.
Too early in the season to make heads or tails really but North's win yesterday may put Brisbane's loss to St Kilda in perspective too, given the media commentators love the Brisbane good/Suns bad meme

Too early in the season to make heads or tails really but North's win yesterday may put Brisbane's loss to St Kilda in perspective too, given the media commentators love the Brisbane good/Suns bad meme
As far as i'm concerned Suns>North>Saints>Brisbane

Is it the Melbourne-centric media but how people could rate St Kilda as a finals team is just beyond me
Where are the Riewoldts,Del Santos, Hayes, Montagnas- those guys were well above average players and would leave a hole in any team
Playing for a Melbourne based team no matter the colours seems to mean you are 50% better than any interstate based player

After all the talk about how amazing GWS are and how crap we are, i really think they are not that close to a flag. Try to be to fancy and play terrible on the MCG.

Brisbane looked terrible tonight.
media talked them up that much in the off season.
think they started to drink their own bathwater

Remove this Banner Ad

Back