Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

Was at the Chairman's Club last night and The Coch alluded heavily to the fact that there will be a T20 team on the Coast with an announcement imminent?
The Chair of Stadiums Queensland was there too
Coch seemed to feel Lynch was gone I thought and said his next "battleground" was FA LOL
He was full of praise after talking about Lynch's probable defection- for Spitter Jnr- sadly though called him Andrew rather than David- at least 3 times!
Sat in front of him during the game and he loudly barracked for "David" every time he touched the ball
Someone obviously got in his ear
Yep the coch right again.
Metricon has secured 3 BBL games a season for the next 3 years.

Nothing yet, expect an announcement soon with the mens BBL fixture.
Looks like the Courier Mail have gone early with the story...

gx3Va5y.jpg

Also...

Stadium transport levies should be slashed, report recommends
JULY 16, 2018
STADIUM transport levies should be slashed in half to stop Gold Coast fans “being taken advantage of”, an independent report recommends.

Gold Coast football clubs spend a million dollars-plus annually getting fans to Titans games at the Cbus Super Stadium and Suns matches at the Metricon.

The existing levy is $6-$7 per ticket to cover both transport and security costs but it should be more than halved, the Stadium Taskforce report to the State Government will say.

The existing cost can add up to $60,000 for a single game where less than 10,000 people attend. The cost is imposed despite the fact that many Gold Coast ticketholders drive to venues.

In a bid to address the affordability concerns, Taskforce chairman John Lees will propose a cap of $3.10 per spectator — less than the price of a cup of coffee.

Mr Lees, a former transport company CEO, said he was shocked by transport fees charged by Gold Coast operators and believed that added to the high levy fees.

“I was alarmed. Looking at prices on the Gold Coast, punters are getting a raw deal and are being taken advantage of,” he said.

“In my report I strongly encourage better negotiations and deals can be made.

“In the end people shouldn’t be profiting from fans going to watch their local team play.”

Mr Lees said there was a marked difference between costs in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

“We met with the 45 different stakeholders as part of the first round of consultation, what stood out to me was the cost difference in transport in the South East,” he said.

“For Brisbane commuters there is a really easy transition to the stadiums at Milton or Woolloongabba, so the cost remains fairly low.

“But when it comes to the Gold Coast the stadiums are outside of the major transport connection on the Western Corridor, which means you need different solutions for the venues in those areas.

“As we know on the Gold Coast it is so much harder getting out to Robina, which means those hiring the stadiums are paying more.”

Mr Lees said the proposal had already been discussed with Queensland Sports Minister Mick de Brenni, who was receptive to the idea.

“The cost of providing services in Brisbane aren’t fully cost recovered by the Broncos and the Reds but the Gold Coast operates under a full user paid cost recovery model,” he said.

“The same rules that apply in Brisbane should apply down the Gold Coast.

“A cap would mean the Gold Coast will be in line with the rest of the country, and mean savings for hirers.”

Suns Chief Executive Mark Evans said he agreed with the levy cap plan.

“Philosophically we all agreed transport prices shouldn't cost more than a cup of coffee,” Mr Evans said.

“As a club we have always absorbed the cost of transport as part of the ticket price, instead of adding it on as we have seen others do.

“I believe this recommendation will probably deliver a pretty good saving of $1-2 per person. “We will use that to keep investing in our community and schools programs and keep the ticket price down.

“I think sport plays an important role in our community, as a family event we are always conscious of the price point.”

Mr Evans said he hopes to see a number further arrangements put in place to reduce the stadium cost burden on clubs.

Gold Coast Titans CEO Graham Annesley also supported the cap.

“We don’t know what will ultimately be approved by Government, but any outcome that minimises transport costs will be welcomed by all sporting codes,” he said.

“Our level of engagement with the Taskforce has been excellent and the Minister is to be congratulated on this initiative.”

The Titans recently inked a 10-game-a-year, five-year deal for CBUS but the contract was fluid to allow for relief on transport levies that might result from the stadiums review.

The new cap of $3.10 will be one of a number of recommendations to parliament this month in an interim report.

The final report will be completed before the end of August.

Is there a link ??

There was an article today on the back page of the Bulletin that I read at smoko. From memory it said 2 x Heat games + 1 non-Heat game at Metricon for 3yrs.

And that the Suns are also pushing for their own BBL franchise which is pretty epic.

Also something about the Australia game at Metricon this year that the Suns probably won’t make a profit, but hope to recoup their $300k they spent installing the drop in pitches & training nets.

Bully said announcement expected later this week.

I see GCSunsFan is back doing his thing but no sign of 17er.
I dunno Bods. Apparently he's still suspended. Hopefully he'll be back but bit less belittling of other posters. No-one can question his passion and commitment to the Suns.

I dunno Bods. Apparently he's still suspended. Hopefully he'll be back but bit less belittling of other posters. No-one can question his passion and commitment to the Suns.

When he hits a troll from another board or he goes in to bat for us on the Main AFL Board it’s a thing of beauty. We will see what he’s got to say on the podcast tonight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When he hits a troll from another board or he goes in to bat for us on the Main AFL Board it’s a thing of beauty. We will see what he’s got to say on the podcast tonight
We try to keep the big footy politics out of the GCSUNSCAST because more then half of our listeners come from the Facebook pages now.

But 17er was banned again for a 2nd account but will be back soon. Have certainly missed his essays this week. Will have to keep the reigns on him during the podcast though.

Yes as he set up the Suns and was praised and rewarded for doing an awesome job. As we now know is was a ******* disaster and yet he has retained his position as if none of it ever happened

When you look at it the club actually went downhill after he left.. maybe he was just the paper over the cracks

My one and only disappointment with the great win against the Swans was that we had to do it in our soulless white clash jersey. Obviously, the Swans are red and white, so red is out but why on Earth do we have to wear white? Surely blue and gold can't be the sole preserve of West Coast? I've always wondered why green has never been considered either given that the Gold Coast is typified by its green hinterlands and iconic headlands. Even the ocean is more green than blue. I know there's a jersey thread, but I need to vent about this - there's no white in the Suns colours and we need to have pride in the jersey. I could see us losing a Grand Final in the future based solely on having to wear that piece of crap strip which is just a Lions rip-off anyway.

Maybe the 8% of colourblind men think green is shithouse idea against Shitknee's red?

That’s right Weasel Whateley thinks last weekend was all about Geelong Geelong Geelong
He’s a Cat
The VFL are kidding making that piece of work it’s media darling
I think they’ll talk a lot about it on the coach as Healy and brown were commentating.

Jack Higgins rising star

Didn't see the game but his stats over the past few weeks have been impressive, due for a nomination
Hopefully Will can back his form up again next week to claim his nom!

Jack Higgins rising star

Didn't see the game but his stats over the past few weeks have been impressive, due for a nomination
Hopefully Will can back his form up again next week to claim his nom!
yeah looks like the afl have changed the criteria in how you can get nominated for rising star award.
In the past players were getting rewarded for break out game but this year look like they are being judged on multiple games and impact

OK it's rant time and I'm feeling a bit like a "Bodsy clone" here.

I've just watched the replay of VFL 360 and it's about time that Fox Footy realised there's more than 10 Victorian teams in the Competition. There's another 8 who reside outside of Victoria, not that you'd know, if you continually watch this biased garbage.

All we got for 55 minutes was bl**dy Geelong and Melbourne post scripts, with St.Kilda thrown in as an aside, cause Richardson was on the panel. No mention of the 5pt game Adelaide v Brisbane, very very little of the GWS v Port game and apart from the last 48 seconds of the program, no mention of the Suns having their 1st win ever over Sydney who sit 4th on the ladder. even the Collingwood v North game didn't rate a mention from this Geelong centric commentary. All that was missing was Derwayne Russell giving his Geelong point of view over everything.
This program should definitely be re-named GEELONG 360 or something similar.......cause if you happen to reside north of the Murray or West of the border, then you obviously don't rate, in the eyes of these self-entitled VICS......

rant over......and another scotch coming up.

OK it's rant time and I'm feeling a bit like a "Bodsy clone" here.

I've just watched the replay of VFL 360 and it's about time that Fox Footy realised there's more than 10 Victorian teams in the Competition. There's another 8 who reside outside of Victoria, not that you'd know, if you continually watch this biased garbage.

All we got for 55 minutes was bl**dy Geelong and Melbourne post scripts, with St.Kilda thrown in as an aside, cause Richardson was on the panel. No mention of the 5pt game Adelaide v Brisbane, very very little of the GWS v Port game and apart from the last 48 seconds of the program, no mention of the Suns having their 1st win ever over Sydney who sit 4th on the ladder. even the Collingwood v North game didn't rate a mention from this Geelong centric commentary. All that was missing was Derwayne Russell giving his Geelong point of view over everything.
This program should definitely be re-named GEELONG 360 or something similar.......cause if you happen to reside north of the Murray or West of the border, then you obviously don't rate, in the eyes of these self-entitled VICS......

rant over......and another scotch coming up.
Keep Low profile . MEDIA is nothing . Quietly rebuild is better .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back