Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

How long will it take until people start suggesting we should move to Darwin?

Bittersweet for North Melbourne though. They won't be told to move to Tasmania anymore and that's a positive but they will lose their NGA access to Tassie draft prospects as well as money they receive to play home games in Hobart. Can they survive long term without being propped up by the Tasmanian government? They can't play games in Canberra (GWS), can't play games in Darwin (GC), can't play games in Ballarat (WB), can't play games in Alice Springs (MD)... where else can they play games for extra cash?

Be very careful what you wish for. Lol

What’s the thoughts on Tassie?

I think they deserve a team but I also think retention is going to be a big issue. I know a few have said it in the media and been smashed for it but I can’t see young men wanting to live there.

I wonder if Clarkson will jump ship to coach them?
They have overrated how invested the state will be imo. Junior participation is s**t house in the state and its an aging population. They are going to struggle very hard.

Is Hobart really that bad?
It’s no Sydney/Melbourne but surely it’s a step up from Ballarat / Western Victoria / Gippsland etc. is it any different from Geelong?

Think they’d need to target the right players though.

I reckon a low key bloke wouldn't mind Tassie but it's kinda like the chilled lifestyle of the GC without the perks of the GC (great restaurants/bars, beaches, cafes and activities). Honestly I am all for the Tassie team as it will probably be such a problem child that no one will be saying 'fold GC' anymore.

I think if you're an 18yo draftee from the mainland the answer is Yes
Hobart is absolutely beautiful. It's awesome l go at least twice a year. It's absolutely poos all over Australia's Assh... Western Sydney.
However l'm over 50 l think it's an awesome place to wind down/retire
l don't know about young people though.

On CPH2333 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s no Sydney/Melbourne but surely it’s a step up from Ballarat / Western Victoria / Gippsland etc. is it any different from Geelong?

It's just very much an older persons kind of town, Lots of lovely things to look at but nothing really for the youth to do, Unless you're really into walking through bush.

I've spending some more time down there later this year so I'll see if my opinion changes after a solid two weeks there.

I reckon a low key bloke wouldn't mind Tassie but it's kinda like the chilled lifestyle of the GC without the perks of the GC (great restaurants/bars, beaches, cafes and activities). Honestly I am all for the Tassie team as it will probably be such a problem child that no one will be saying 'fold GC' anymore.
"Send the Snus to Darwin"

Hobart is absolutely beautiful. It's awesome l go at least twice a year. It's absolutely poos all over Australia's Assh... Western Sydney.
However l'm over 50 l think it's an awesome place to wind down/retire
l don't know about young people though.

Brisbane > Sydney and it's not even close

It's just very much an older persons kind of town, Lots of lovely things to look at but nothing really for the youth to do, Unless you're really into walking through bush.

I've spending some more time down there later this year so I'll see if my opinion changes after a solid two weeks there.

"Send the Snus to Darwin"

Brisbane > Sydney and it's not even close
It's very much personal choice can't stand Sydney or Brisbane and can only do around 3 days in Melbourne, way too busy.

It's very much personal choice can't stand Sydney or Brisbane and can only do around 3 days in Melbourne, way too busy.

I grew up on a farm
Went to boarding school in Melbourne then Uni and work in big cities around the World and in Australia
The Gold Coast's about as country as I can do now
When I go "home" Christ it's a long way from anywhere
I love Tassie too-everyone does-it will be everyone's second team
Could I live there?
Maybe in retirement
Not somewhere an 18yo or even 22 yo would want to be
Ricky Ponting -Tassie's favourite son- lives in a squllion dollar house near my brother in Melbourne-not Battery Point
Tassie is a lot like New Zealand
All my Kiwi mates would shed blood for Aotearoa but would they go back to live there?
Nuh.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s some cracking pubs in Battery Point, not really for youngsters, unless they like old English pub like atmosphere.

It can be windy as hell in winter, and the wind chill factor cuts deep. And that’s during the day.

Nothing like an off day up here to go golfing or fishing in our mild winters.

No idea about any other night life.

I grew up on a farm
Went to boarding school in Melbourne then Uni and work in big cities around the World and in Australia
The Gold Coast's about as country as I can do now
When I go "home" Christ it's a long way from anywhere
I love Tassie too-everyone does-it will be everyone's second team
Could I live there?
Maybe in retirement
Not somewhere an 18yo or even 22 yo would want to be
Ricky Ponting -Tassie's favourite son- lives in a squllion dollar house near my brother in Melbourne-not Battery Point
Tassie is a lot like New Zealand
All my Kiwi mates would shed blood for Aotearoa but would they go back to live there?
Nuh.
Sums it up perfectly

I'm going to be in Melbourne the weekend we play Carlton at the mcg and after some advice with ticketing as I would like to get us with some suns fans if possible. Any Vic supporters able to point me in the right direction?

Dwayne Russell on sen just now going with suns should rebrand as northern suns play 3 games in darwin 1 in Alice Springs 1 in cairns the rest in Gold Coast and stay based in Gold Coast. Texters and callers are loving it.

Personally I wouldn’t support the team anymore if this happened

Edit. Twitter poll added

Dwayne Russell on sen just now going with suns should rebrand as northern suns play 3 games in darwin 1 in Alice Springs 1 in cairns the rest in Gold Coast and stay based in Gold Coast. Texters and callers are loving it.

Edit. Twitter poll added

I like the idea of playing maybe 2 or 3 home games in Darwin (Similar to the Dogs in Ballarat), but to change the name is a pretty silly idea.

The Suns have spend 12 years trying to forge an identity to the GC public and just as they are about to have success we change it.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Edit. Twitter poll added

I wouldn't support them either.........but why do you think Derrrrwayne has done this.......to appease the Vic listening/viewing public so he gets more clicks and can keep his job.....none of that lot are worth 2 bob...

Would people seriously stop supporting them if something like this eventuated?

I get you might re-think the expensive membership but seriously, would you just stop watching the games, even on TV and all of a sudden stop caring how they performed?? Seems a bit extreme.

Would people seriously stop supporting them if something like this eventuated?

I get you might re-think the expensive membership but seriously, would you just stop watching the games, even on TV and all of a sudden stop caring how they performed?? Seems a bit extreme.
There's no way I would stop supporting them but I can guarantee that my Gold membership would want to be at least a third cheaper than the $600 odd dollars it is now.
Basically playing 5 games at places where there is no real support for the Suns, most games there are more "other team" supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back