Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Was he referring to the fans at the game or the social media cowards?
Game day is tame compared to years ago.
I remember a game where a Sun's fan ripped Caddy a new one on his return after we knocked them off.. :cool:

Who would do such a thing :moustache:

The footage of this vanished from the internet. If anyone can find it, they will get special mod privileges lol

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Was he referring to the fans at the game or the social media cowards?
Game day is tame compared to years ago.
I remember a game where a Sun's fan ripped Caddy a new one on his return after we knocked them off.. :cool:
Yes, a true SUNS fan

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Just heard JRiewoldt say “the behaviour of fans these days is appalling”.
What do you guys who are older fans of VFL/AFL especially Victorians think of that statement?
I would have thought that with fully seated grounds that fan behaviour if anything has improved??

I think social media plays a part in it as well. I don’t think there is anymore violence than in the past, but because it is so readily accessible and sometimes filmed by many different angles we are seeing many more incidents whereas in the past these things would happen but you wouldn’t know about it unless you witnessed it.

I’ve never felt safer going to games at Metricon. That may be due to the amount of families in attendance and the earlier games meaning less drunks, but I remember even seeing some things sitting in the licensed areas of the Gabba back when the Lions were filling the stadium. I can’t imagine the things going down in Melbourne back then.

Still not a good look for the AFL though and I think that Richmond kid caught swinging last weekend should be banned for at least 5-10years.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I think it’s a society issue there seems to be very little respect for anyone and people feel entitled to do or say what they feel like.. you rarely hear anyone even say please and thank you
Agree, everyone is outraged but entitled at the same time, humility and caring for others appears outdated

And if you don’t agree farcq ;)

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I think social media plays a part in it as well. I don’t think there is anymore violence than in the past, but because it is so readily accessible and sometimes filmed by many different angles we are seeing many more incidents whereas in the past these things would happen but you wouldn’t know about it unless you witnessed it.

I’ve never felt safer going to games at Metricon. That may be due to the amount of families in attendance and the earlier games meaning less drunks, but I remember even seeing some things sitting in the licensed areas of the Gabba back when the Lions were filling the stadium. I can’t imagine the things going down in Melbourne back then.

Still not a good look for the AFL though and I think that Richmond kid caught swinging last weekend should be banned for at least 5-10years.
While it’s true that the ability to capture the incident is much higher and as a result we see more the escalation to violence appears much faster. There are multiple reasons for this including accessibility to violent videos etc but to me the biggest driver is people are stressed. As an example, here in Sydney take off when a light turns green even a nanosecond late and a torrent of beeps, fingers and abuse it your reward. That’s a massive change from only a decade ago

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This is offtopic so definitely the best thread to post it in but whatever happened to 17er?
Decided he was sick of being baited by a few on here and constantly getting reported by a select few individuals. Now he has focused his efforts over on the Facebook suns pages and the GCSUNSCAST.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Decided he was sick of being baited by a few on here and constantly getting reported by a select few individuals. Now he has focused his efforts over on the Facebook suns pages and the GCSUNSCAST.

If the persona with his new account was adopted whilst he was still 17er he probably would not have been ran out of town. I didn't agree with the way he was treated but he did bring it on himself unfortunately. Much better this time around, at least on bigfooty

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm umpiring the Bendigo Pioneers v Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup game this weekend. Anyone I should be keeping an eye on and getting in the ear of, telling them how good the SUNS are :p
Nab league game ?

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
I'm umpiring the Bendigo Pioneers v Murray Bushrangers TAC Cup game this weekend. Anyone I should be keeping an eye on and getting in the ear of, telling them how good the SUNS are :p
Get in the ear of Thomson Dow! He can then get his brother Paddy to join him in a year or 2!
Lachie Ash is a good player to.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Can you talk to Lachlan Ash about coming to Brisbane please, we will have a spot opening up on a HBF next season when Hodge retires. Rich will move to Hodge's back pocket.

From a Suns point of view; Brodie Kemp from Bendigo, BIG bodied utility who Bendigo should play in the midfield, but they play down back because he's a gun general defender (apparently club land believe Kemp's best position is in defence). And as mentioned Thomson Dow, looking to play like his older brother through the midfield. Played a very, very good game first up last week.

Get in the ear of Thomson Dow! He can then get his brother Paddy to join him in a year or 2!
Lachie Ash is a good player to.
Politely, hands off.

Back