Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

I see Clarkos comment in reference to Coniglio that his preference is that players stay with their clubs but wants to be first in line if they decide to leave. So he has spoken to him. I think this is laughable comment considering the number of players they have poached and reprehensible that a senior coach is talking direct to a contracted player

I see Clarkos comment in reference to Coniglio that his preference is that players stay with their clubs but wants to be first in line if they decide to leave. So he has spoken to him. I think this is laughable comment considering the number of players they have poached and reprehensible that a senior coach is talking direct to a contracted player
The family club. It’s not poaching, it adoption lol Scum of a club. No morals.

I don't like it either Iva, but it's a sign of the times I'm afraid.........Dew admitted talking to Roughy last year and Roughy was a contracted player. Admittedly under different circumstances, in one coming to the end of his career and the other on the way up, but still, he was a contracted player....

The family club. It’s not poaching, it adoption lol Scum of a club. No morals.
Moved on Burton who is a decent young bloke of sound personality for two absolute football mercenaries in Scully & Wingard.
Clarkson now into Coniglio's ear and no doubt promising him a medical miracle for his knee issues. The fact he's best mates with a FIGJAM like O'Meara probably sums up why Hawthorn want him too.

Right, I need to take my mod hat off here for a second and be candid for a little bit.

I wrote out and then promptly deleted a very un-mod like post in the last game thread. I managed to recover and find the good in the situation like I almost always do but this has really gotten my goat as of late and I need to address it before the majority of the board fades off into the off-season ether for a couple of months.

Legitimate question, Am I the only one put off the by the hyper toxic negativity that's been infusing itself into what seems like every single post on here as of late?

Like I get it. We suck, We're deep into rebuild mode and we're all tired and cranky from a long and tumultuous season but I'm gonna be honest here - I get more depressed reading the same negative bulldust from my own posters than I do from watching the actual games. It's literally like a Facebook comments section up in here.

It's a culture here that I'm not a fan of and I want to try and reverse the curve so to speak, If anyone has any ideas or just wants to purge it all from thier system before we get to next season that would be cool.

I'm not expecting sunshine and rainbows but I'd very much like it if we could quit being so self hating and start being productively supportive.

One day we'll bare witness to the greatest rags to riches story in sports history and I'd like everyone on here now to be hold thier heads up high and be able to say that they were supportive of the club in the darkest days when the Golden age comes.

Or you can tell me to go blank myself, I won't take it personally. ;)

Sound fair?

Right, I need to take my mod hat off here for a second and be candid for a little bit.

I wrote out and then promptly deleted a very un-mod like post in the last game thread. I managed to recover and find the good in the situation like I almost always do but this has really gotten my goat as of late and I need to address it before the majority of the board fades off into the off-season ether for a couple of months.

Legitimate question, Am I the only one put off the by the hyper toxic negativity that's been infusing itself into what seems like every single post on here as of late?

Like I get it. We suck, We're deep into rebuild mode and we're all tired and cranky from a long and tumultuous season but I'm gonna be honest here - I get more depressed reading the same negative bulldust from my own posters than I do from watching the actual games. It's literally like a Facebook comments section up in here.

It's a culture here that I'm not a fan of and I want to try and reverse the curve so to speak, If anyone has any ideas or just wants to purge it all from thier system before we get to next season that would be cool.

I'm not expecting sunshine and rainbows but I'd very much like it if we could quit being so self hating and start being productively supportive.

One day we'll bare witness to the greatest rags to riches story in sports history and I'd like everyone on here now to be hold thier heads up high and be able to say that they were supportive of the club in the darkest days when the Golden age comes.

Sound fair?

To be honest the club has created the culture amongst the fans it’s hard to be positive about something surrounded bynegative..

all we hear is negative reports out of the media and from the club we get the occasional fluff piece put out from the club telling us how good the stuff is during the week that people don’t see and how the team just need a 4 quarter effort

Go read the comments on the club’s own Facebook page it’s full of hurry up and fold or move to tassie comments.. the only person who has come out and said the club is not going anywhere is tony Cochrane he’s the only person who speaks genuine and makes you feel good about the club going forward but has been semi silenced by mark evans

Guilty as charged BRM

I support the Suns to the hilt and cop s**t everywhere I go, my kids and wife have jumped ship to the GWS and the media as others have said is toxic

This forum is the only place I can vent, so I’m sorry if I am bringing anyone down with me, I genuinely love you all, your passion is fantastic and I love reading your posts good or bad

Sound fair?

I will tell you to go blank yourself. Just because I like to do that

But great post

I think game day threads have a largely negative vibe due to us being non competitive for quite a while now. That’s just through sheer frustration and more for my kids than me.
I’m reading some good stuff though away from there. Different supporters’ opinions on where we are at the moment, and where we are going. I haven’t viewed it as all negative myself.

I think game day threads have a largely negative vibe due to us being non competitive for quite a while now. That’s just through sheer frustration and more for my kids than me.
I’m reading some good stuff though away from there. Different supporters’ opinions on where we are at the moment, and where we are going. I haven’t viewed it as all negative myself.
Win a few games and you'll see the difference. The first month of this year shows that in great detail. Teams will get negative posts when they just don't perform - reference Carlton before the coach swap. It's all right to be a rusted on supporter BUT the team and players have to give something back occasionally to reward that loyalty. I can't imagine the s.... that young Suns supporters have to put up with at school etc. The tide will turn but it seems a long way out right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve been think similar for a few weeks BRM.
It’s a hard time to be a suns supporter, heck I don’t think there’s been many easy times to be a suns supporter. But to come on here and read the crap spoken. We knew our list was the worst in the afl going into the season. We knew even our shining lights were still young. But with the early wins hope went up. Then reality sunk in. Admittedly if we had won just one of those close ones peoples reactions are different. If we beat Essendon a few weeks back the supporters are flying high. But we haven’t been able to break the cycle. Other than maybe half a dozen games we’ve been in them all up to half time. The improvement is there, even if it’s hard for some to see. Admittedly next year I don’t see us finishing much higher, but the foundations are there. We are in for a tough ride, but the light is still on at the end of the tunnel.

Suns fans need a place to vent, but BRM is spot on when he says we are all contributing to the sort of toxicity that is harder to bear than losing football on the weekend.

NO more game day posts for OldSol next season. A big SORRY to all the players and posters that have copped my angry post humiliating defeat rants and raves.

Sound fair?

So long as the posts are balanced and based on facts, I actually find them reassuring in a morbid kind of way. Like I’m not the only one who thinks player x is having a stinker, or query match day decisions from the coaches box, or of the opinion that the blokes aren’t showing enough grit.
I also enjoy the positive posts that counter the negative and point out it’s not all doom and gloom (until about round 7 ;)). Thing is we are s**t at the moment, and to paint a pretty picture of the present is not accurate and is disingenuous. We just have to keep the hope and love for the club going.If we get the PP1 I think we’ll all feel a lot better about next year. Something to give us hope we can eventually get a competitive midfield together.

I thought that's what being a fan was all about?
Hating on the world when you lose, flying higher than a cloud when you win
Writing positive posts all the time is being a sycophant, not a supporter
In any case, it's boring, you need to be democratic and give the negatives a run from time to time too. ;)

Sound fair?
Come on mate next you will be wanting to hand out participation ribbons to everyone.

Nothing wrong with a little bit of negative feedback in a game day thread is there ?

It shows people are bloody passionate about our club

Last edited:
It's better than the place being utterly silent, honestly. That's when you're just irrelevant. The fact people are hurting over losing a lot of games in a row is a good sign that people still care. It's morbid, but it's something. If you look at the perennially bad sides that have been bad for a lot longer than us (Fremantle, St Kilda, Melbourne) and their forums, you'll find a good sense of humour with their hardcore supporters being very self-deprecating. It also reminds you that there's hope. Those perennially bad sides have bobbed up and been quite formidable at times, and because it happens so rarely, it's mammoth for those supporters. That's something to look forward to. That's something to look forward to for a struggling side at this time that'll eventually have their time in the sun.

Yeah okay this was received about as well as I expected, Allow me to retort - I was going to reply to each one individually but felt like I'd just end up repeating myself and having people feel like I was singling them out so let's try this.

I can appreciate the want and need to vent (It's literally what this thread is called after all) and it's not my intention to try and take that away from anyone but I would like to see less of the super negative stuff and more constructive gripes.

The vast majority of us are indeed rusted on long term supporters who feel as though the club hasn't rewarded us for our suffering with success and while I totally get that angle of thinking I think we should all realise that no one wants this club to succeed more than the guys that have been there the same amount of time as we have - Guys like David Swallow, Rory Thompson and Jarrod Harbrow, For these guys this is what'll go down in history as thier life's work and these guys undoubtedly will want a storybook ending to the story and all the guys that haven't been around as long will want to be those supporting players that we can point to 10 years down the track and go "Ben King coming to the club was a massive turning point" or "Shipping off Josh Caddy and getting Touk Miller in was the best thing that ever could of happened to us"

Tldr - We're all in this together, No one wants us to succeed more than the supporters are the players and vice versa.

I get the passion and the fact that there needs to be a balance of positive and negative posts, But what I'm getting at is that the constant stream of negativity is too much in the opposite direction and I think for everyone's sanity we could just dial it back a smidge with the "we've gone backwards since last year", "we haven't improved", "player x needs to go", "coach Y isn't the answer" retoric.

Call me an idealist or a dreamer or a glass half full kind of guy but there's a process here and you see it in other sports, If you buy in to the process and get hyped for the process it can take the sting out of a bad result.

We can be self-deprecating without being over the top negative, The difference is humour.

I do humbly apologise to anyone I've offended in my pursuit for positive change but at the same time of you were offended then I've for nothing to apologise for because on some level you know that I'm right.

But I'd like to keep this dialogue open with anyone that wants to shoot the breeze about this, I'm not an unreasonable bloke. I get fusterated like all of you do, I just like to attack it from a different angle.

Cheers for reading, have a great mad Monday. ;)

Don't need to apologise for positivity , the same peoples that said I should not said move GCS to Tasmania if AFL don't help, are the same peoples that blame Dew and the players every week.

Given all the articles I have read recently which are attacking the SUNS relentlessly and mentioning garbage like scrapping our club or moving to Tasmania which is utter nonsense I decided to look at another club who I feel has been mediocre for a very long time and hasn't achieved much in their 25 year history. That's right you guessed it Fremantle. How this club manages to slip under the radar baffles me. It took them a very long time to become an established and competitive side. Coming into the AFL in 1995 and making finals for the first time in 2003. 7 years into their AFL venture they finished with a record of 2 - 20 which is worse than any result we have ever posted. We are pretty much on par now with where they were then. The only difference was they didn't have player retention issues or their stars walking out on them. What don't people understand? Football clubs take years to establish and find their own feet. The fact that the media and other fans are crying out for us to fold or move to Tassie after just 8 years of being in the competition is insane! GIVE US TIME to establish ourselves as a club like every other club before us has had the chance to do. Give us 20 years as a bare minimum to prove ourselves and that we can become a force within the AFL. I believe wholeheartedly in the direction of this football club. I know we have what it takes. We will be successful. We will not give up. The mud the media throws will not stick. Hoping we get a chance at a fair go and that the AFL administration has the balls to not beckon at every call made by ignorant media and fans. Last year we finished with a $1.1 million profit despite our on field results. Our membership numbers are continuing to grow despite our win loss ratio. The future is bright for our SUNS.

Sorry I just needed to get that off my chest it just infuriates me that mediocrity is accepted by everyone in the AFL unless it's us who are at fault.

Last edited:
Just letting you guys know I'm probably done with the Suns/the board now that Brad's been officially delisted. You guys are pretty much all ripper blokes and its been a good few years hanging out with you all.
Hang in there the good times will come. You're definitely closer to the far end of the tunnel than the start.

Just letting you guys know I'm probably done with the Suns/the board now that Brad's been officially delisted. You guys are pretty much all ripper blokes and its been a good few years hanging out with you all.
Hang in there the good times will come. You're definitely closer to the far end of the tunnel than the start.

Commiserations.
Wishing brad all the best.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back