Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can't imagine any responsible doctor to say this to Paddy McCartin after the number of concussions and symptoms he had.

"In terms of concussion or anything like that, I'm basically the same as anyone else now and the doctors have told me I don't have any greater risk than any other player on an AFL list. Now I'm fully rehabbed from that I'm good to go," he said.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
Greenwood haha - game had Weller chopping out in the ruck and Wright at back pocket....
Yeah 2nd ruck is frustrating, i put Wright as my second ruck and it automatically switches to Jack Lukosius for like half the quarter. 195cm 75kg Luko hasnt lost a ruck tap to be fair. Not sure if its just me but i win all the ruck taps but it doesnt go directly to my player which is annoying, so i have to tackle my way forward for a bit.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
I just read that there are 12 employees at AFL House being paid a minimum of $900k a year.
The AFL is often spoken about as a billion dollar industry, so it’s not surprising there are employees in high management positions on such amounts.

How much do you think head coaches, CEO’s, and heads of football at clubs are on?

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Yeah 2nd ruck is frustrating, i put Wright as my second ruck and it automatically switches to Jack Lukosius for like half the quarter. 195cm 75kg Luko hasnt lost a ruck tap to be fair. Not sure if its just me but i win all the ruck taps but it doesnt go directly to my player which is annoying, so i have to tackle my way forward for a bit.
So, pretty similar to how the Suns played last year.

Except for Lukosius in the ruck.

A major sponsor of our club who has plenty of money the day after Morrison said you can’t be evicted if you don’t pay rent for the next 6 months wrote to my Father In Law who is a battling farmer with no stock and no revenue streams currently and said “We are no longer going to pay you rent on the office space we rent from you. Stiff sh*t.”

I am so angry.
Livid.
Have a good day.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean no stock? Is this due to the drought? Is he a grazier?

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Out of curiosity, what do you mean no stock? Is this due to the drought? Is he a grazier?

Yes he’s a beef grazier. I should have used the term grazier. Farm got simply too dry and he hung on for about two years feeding them Hay but he no longer could afford to buy hay. So had to sell the lot.
Then of course a few weeks later we got all that rain that happened after the fires.
I don’t know where that Govt Assistance that politicians beat their chests about and the charity money goes to but it doesn’t to him.

If Mark Evans wants to know which of his big money sponsors the day after Morrison said you can’t be evicted for 6 months said they will no longer pay any rent he’s free to contact me. It’s not hard for employees of the club to figure out who I am by my name “Mr Bods”.

By the way it’s illegal to do that because what he said was that landlords/renters should sit down and work it out. They just immediately sent out a letter saying GAGF we aren’t paying a thing.

I wont be naming them because it’s still yet to be settled, but for a battling grazier, recently widowed with nothing to have a huge company behave like this and put him under such duress angers me so much.

I needed to express myself somewhere and chose this as my rant venue.

Yes he’s a beef grazier. I should have used the term grazier. Farm got simply too dry and he hung on for about two years feeding them Hay but he no longer could afford to buy hay. So had to sell the lot.
Then of course a few weeks later we got all that rain that happened after the fires.
I don’t know where that Govt Assistance that politicians beat their chests about and the charity money goes to but it doesn’t to him.

If Mark Evans wants to know which of his big money sponsors the day after Morrison said you can’t be evicted for 6 months said they will no longer pay any rent he’s free to contact me. It’s not hard for employees of the club to figure out who I am by my name “Mr Bods”.

By the way it’s illegal to do that because what he said was that landlords/renters should sit down and work it out. They just immediately sent out a letter saying GAGF we aren’t paying a thing.

I wont be naming them because it’s still yet to be settled, but for a battling grazier, recently widowed with nothing to have a huge company behave like this and put him under such duress angers me so much.

I needed to express myself somewhere and chose this as my rant venue.

*checks thread title* Well, it seems like you are in the right place.

I'm sorry your father in law is having a tough time of it.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I can't imagine any responsible doctor to say this to Paddy McCartin after the number of concussions and symptoms he had.

Yeah, absolutely ridiculous

I get the feeling McCartin has always had his head in the sand. He has Type 1 Diabetes and I remember reading this story leading into the draft. This is my area of work and I was absolutely horrified that he had a single hypoglycaemic related seizure let alone 3!

It was only the third seizure he'd had in the 10 or so years since he'd learned he had the condition.

He obviously had absolutely diabolical control of his diabetes and frequent hypoglycaemia. Severe and frequent hypoglycaemia has major effects on brain function and I wouldn't rule out that this has in some way made his brain more fragile and susceptible to concussion / slow to recover (pure speculation).

I feel sorry for the young man and wish him the best in his future life. Probably should just give footy up though.

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So we won the flag - bonus points if you can identify ANYONE from the terrible 3D renders
EEDDF61E-2A6F-4C13-9618-7DFD5CD3F113.jpeg

Out of curiosity I looked at our overall win loss ratio as a club since our inception into the AFL and discovered that the only team in the league we have never defeated in our history is the Adelaide crows. I really feel like we would’ve had a decent shot to amend that this year if the season was going ahead due to them being in full rebuild mode and also cause we now have Greenwood who could provide some insider knowledge. ;)

Also there are 3 teams we have never defeated at Metricon they are Adelaide of course, port Adelaide and Sydney.

Lastly there are 5 teams we have never defeated away they are west coast, Geelong, Essendon, Collingwood and again Adelaide.

Do any of these statistics surprise you?

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Out of curiosity I looked at our overall win loss ratio as a club since our inception into the AFL and discovered that the only team in the league we have never defeated in our history is the Adelaide crows. I really feel like we would’ve had a decent shot to amend that this year if the season was going ahead due to them being in full rebuild mode and also cause we now have Greenwood who could provide some insider knowledge. ;)

Also there are 3 teams we have never defeated at Metricon they are Adelaide of course, port Adelaide and Sydney.

Lastly there are 5 teams we have never defeated away they are west coast, Geelong, Essendon, Collingwood and again Adelaide.

Do any of these statistics surprise you?
I'm surprised that we've defeated West Coast during our existance.

What do you mean a 44 year old bloke can't enjoy a little fishing and catching bugs?

Thought I'd share my little custom character here. Front and back

AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

Can't find that GC New Era hat anywhere.

What about this one?

Was looking for this one in particular. View attachment 863295

Also how the hell are ya?

Odd that they have it on the website picture but not available to buy, don't mind it. The AFL website doesn't have any of our hats for sale at all despite having all other 17 teams which I found strange. Couldn't find any third party websites either. Might not have been released yet. If I see it I'll let you know.

I'm alright, working from home at the moment which whilst its nice to still be working, can leave you a little twitchy. Not having football on the weekend means that I am having to debase myself by playing houseparty to catch up with people when not working on my little island as pictured above.

Hope you're doing okay, not a great situation in Colorado at the moment by the looks of things if that's where you still are.

Dec 28, 2011
Denver
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm alright, working from home at the moment which whilst its nice to still be working, can leave you a little twitchy. Not having football on the weekend means that I am having to debase myself by playing houseparty to catch up with people when not working on my little island as pictured above.

Hope you're doing okay, not a great situation in Colorado at the moment by the looks of things if that's where you still are.

That's good to hear, and yeah it doesn't feel great at the moment, but I'm more concerned about my family in the New York area than myself, it's ground zero over there.

Back