Roast Vent thread Carlton v Bulldogs Round 16 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Betts and Garlett were very quiet today but their game play, to a certain extent, is based around our key forward and once Waite went down it was very hard to see us winning. We got i think 5 of our goals from free kicks. I thought we were top 4 material but doesn't look likely anymore, very disappointing game!!

What is more disappointing though is the amount of bandwagonners that leave the game early. Twice now i've sat up in the Lockett end up in General admission near the front of the 3rd level behind the goals and by the middle of the 4th, rows of Carlton supporters have left. YOU are the supporters we don't need.

Why is everyone so negative on Bower!?
Poor bloke was stuck in the forward line where he has never played before, and still made an alright fist of it... :confused:

This season, we are supposed to have 'no passengers'... He has been ordinary to poor at the Ants, is not fit, lost his run and timing and yet he still comes into the side, as a defensive forward... :confused:

An alright fist of it would be ok if he was playing stand out footy at the Ants like Hendo was before he got recalled...

Blind love of footballers at this club can no longer be tolerated, he needs to EARN his place...

NO PASSENGERS...

Betts and Garlett were very quiet today but their game play, to a certain extent, is based around our key forward and once Waite went down it was very hard to see us winning. We got i think 5 of our goals from free kicks. I thought we were top 4 material but doesn't look likely anymore, very disappointing game!!

What is more disappointing though is the amount of bandwagonners that leave the game early. Twice now i've sat up in the Lockett end up in General admission near the front of the 3rd level behind the goals and by the middle of the 4th, rows of Carlton supporters have left. YOU are the supporters we don't need.

Turn it up. I left the Saints game late when we were up (i was spewing). The 5 minutes early i leave lets me get out of traffic and get home (Wallan) quicker.
i have work and 2 of my 3 boys have school. Whats to say others don't do this?

Forgot to add never experienced us getting out-marked so much around the ground.

Even the ordinary Liam Jones was plucking them. NO: 19 not sure if I got his name right.

What a strange comment, don't you think he might have outmarked as he is an extrodinary contested mark......20 yo and is 8th for contested marks this year and has taken as many or more contested marks this year than the likes of Franklin, J.Reiwoldt, Waite, Brown, Sandilands, Taylor, Fisher, Tippett etc etc He will be the dominant contested marking forward in a few years time, just needs to kick better.

This season, we are supposed to have 'no passengers'... He has been ordinary to poor at the Ants, is not fit, lost his run and timing and yet he still comes into the side, as a defensive forward... :confused:

An alright fist of it would be ok if he was playing stand out footy at the Ants like Hendo was before he got recalled...

Blind love of footballers at this club can no longer be tolerated, he needs to EARN his place...

NO PASSENGERS...

So what, you want to drop the other dozen passengers that played today? Grow up.

He picked up Jones, stood with him for a few seconds, then watched as the bulldogs player completed a 50m pass directly to Jones. All he had to do was put on some body contact to put Jones off but didn't. Weak I'm afraid.

And yes the other one was his fault as you say ;)

The point still stands.

He wasn't manning up Jones, he was filling the space.

He did put body contact. If you expect Murphy to impact a player 20+cm taller, with a running jump at the footy and marking overhead, while being flat footed himself, you've got no idea.

Clearly Murphy wasn't meant to be going with him, given the 4 defenders who pointed fingers at one another wondering why he was left alone in the goal square.

As for the other goal, more his fault but again, he was guarding space for the leading forward, instead of following his opponent to the boundary line, 45 metres out. They're instructed to take the dangerous position and that dinky kick inside 50 isn't a common one. Not sure if that's where the goal resulted from, but.

So what, you want to drop the other dozen passengers that played today? Grow up.

Read the WHOLE post...

Simple question... Did he earn his place???

He has NO form at all, that has been his out put all season in the Ants and today...

Do you understand what 'form' is??

Some players today were ordinary but have runs on the board this year...

Bower has less runs than Cameron White..!

Ideally he wouldnt be on Jones, however he found himself in that position and is expected to do better. I'm not calling for him to outmark a KP player, just not stand there idle as he did. Make an effort, bring the ball to ground. Something.

The ball was perfectly set up for Jones to get a ride on Murphy. The only way Murphy could have prevented Jones from taking the mark was by giving away a free kick.

sry guys didnt get to see teh game no pay tv, but how did joseph play seen his stats but did he do his job? chance of a run next week????

who stood out????...

Mate Sunday nite with work the next day fair enough people level early when team is playing crap, people have families and work.

I understand people have families and work, but if we were winning they would of stayed until the end and supported the team knowing they have work the next day, why only support the team when we win? You said yourself, people leave early when their team is playing crap, not good enough.

Its a different story though if you plan to leave early even when we're winning.

I'm sorry, but I disagree with this.

Although I stayed until the end today (because I was with a mate who is a Doggies supporter), if we are well beaten with 10 minutes to go, I leave to beat the traffic.

I pay my hard earned money to watch the club, and if they are losing, I see no reason why I should have to sit through it until the end. I'd much rather get home a bit earlier where it's nice and warm, have a coffee and lament over the loss with fellow Blues supporters on BF. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't manning up Jones, he was filling the space.

He did put body contact. If you expect Murphy to impact a player 20+cm taller, with a running jump at the footy and marking overhead, while being flat footed himself, you've got no idea.

Clearly Murphy wasn't meant to be going with him, given the 4 defenders who pointed fingers at one another wondering why he was left alone in the goal square.

As for the other goal, more his fault but again, he was guarding space for the leading forward, instead of following his opponent to the boundary line, 45 metres out. They're instructed to take the dangerous position and that dinky kick inside 50 isn't a common one. Not sure if that's where the goal resulted from, but.

Sorry b4f, but I was sitting right on top of murph on lvl 2 and that's not what happened. Murph stood and watched. I'm not knocking murph for failing to win the one on one, the problem was the effort. Please read my post carefully.

MC may have been carried away with earlier successes and look to be 'tinkering' at the edges with unjustified selections and strange game plans. Problem is, if we now slip from the top 4, a first round finals exit may spell the end of Ratts.

Have the odds on Roos and Malthouse* just shortened ?

(* waiting for Eddie)

Yup, Jones is a great grab, was a no-win situation for Murph.

Hard to bag him when it would have been nice to have a dozen more of him out there...

1 play today was Garlett off the back flank to Bower at CHF to Thornton in the F50 who missed the shot at goal.

Does anyone else see these players playing out of position?

AJ in seems to have obviously been the wrong choice.

Russell as the sub obviously was the wrong choice.

We did not end up in 3rd spot on the ladder by chance so why **** with the way we got there and keep the players in their postions.

Very poorly coached game IMO.

4 very simple words.
They wanted it more.

Disappointed me most of all today. I thought we'd gone beyond the stage where our performance wad dictated by our opponent's mindsets, but apparently not. A true top 4 team very rarely allows the opposition to dictate play and we've done that in 2 of the past 3 games (West Coast to a lesser extent as they are a genuinely good team with an excellent gameplan).

1 play today was Garlett off the back flank to Bower at CHF to Thornton in the F50 who missed the shot at goal.

Does anyone else see these players playing out of position?

AJ in seems to have obviously been the wrong choice.

Russell as the sub obviously was the wrong choice.

We did not end up in 3rd spot on the ladder by chance so why **** with the way we got there and keep the players in their postions.

Very poorly coached game IMO.
Actually we probably have ended up 3rd by chance, or with a little luck anyway.

We have mostly beaten teams outside the 8, and apart from the Swans (who I don't rate very highly) we haven't beaten anyone another team in the top 8.

Honourable losses to Collingwood and Geelong are one thing - but losses to WCE and the Bulldogs means that we are still probably a 6th to 8th team.

- People who say Ratten has no plan B: you couldn't be any further from the truth. He tried some odd positional changes today and they didn't work. Ratts didn't lose us the game, the players did. End of story

- Murphy was very solid but some of his efforts made me want to puke. He pulled out going back with the flight against Hall in the 3rd when he could have EASILY gotten a fist onto it. You can expect him to be a ragdoll out there waiting to get flattened all the time, but at this level when it's your time to put your body on the line you need to do it. He's improved enormously in that area this year, but today i think he reverted back to his old ways a bit.

- Yarran stopped chasing and stood still after HT. Not good enough.

- Walker and Garlett have turned to s**t in the last few weeks and need to swallow some concrete. Get involved lads.

- It's clear our key position stocks aren't good enough. Regardless of the results later in the year, we need to target some developed tall players in the trade period.

Eddie Betts 0 Tackles !......Maybe Eddie needs to start wearing normal fitting shorts...There might be too much wind resistance at the moment which is restricting him getting to contests !

Selecting Joseph for a back line role instead of Tuohy really has me scratching my head :thumbsdown:

Agreed 100% I thought that Tuohy has been great since his debut. He's obviously going to be a long term player for us and deserved to be selected this week gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back