Venting thread (Opposition flogs welcome)

Remove this Banner Ad

wtf so spending your first 13 years in NSW and playing your first games for North Wagga Saints doesn't make him from NSW I'll give it up

Give up then, 20 years to be a local in Australia, thats always been the cultural rule!!! How the hell could McPerson Oval make Carey seriously??

Fact is South Australia made Carey, not Riverina!!

Last edited:
Do i need to recount the whole history of the Riverina for you, I think you can do that yourself. What I can say for certainty the Riverina is not the result of a team constructed in Western Sydney by the AFL! Your club is attempting to claim players as thier own who would have been around 13 or so before GWS existed!! Happy for you to argue you need the help but lets not claim you created the Riverina as an AFL area.

I do not know what drugs you are on, but I was born in the Riverina, played footy near where Carey played at a similar time, and live in the Riverina now, and frankly, you are full of self interested bullshit!!

I actually have an interest in the Riverina, your just promoting your own wheel barrow!!

You should just be thankful GWS handed you a premiership and close your lips!!

My point is that even though he was born in Wagga he is a SA football product. Under the current system he WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN A RIVERINA ZONE PLAYER...sometimes sarcasm does not come across well on forums

Yeah, but he was a Riverina zoned player. That's how Sydney traded his rights to North Melbourne as the steak knives on the John Longmire deal.

Imagine that - Wayne Carey as the steak knives.

North Melbourne to Sydney "We want Longmire"
Sydney: OK, we can figure out something.
North: and how about that young Wagga kid that's currently playing for North Adelaide, that you have the rights to. Can we have him as well?
Sydney: fair enough, you can have him too if you tip in a little bit extra to the Longmire deal we've already nutted out.

Biggest miss of all time?

Yeah, but he was a Riverina zoned player. That's how Sydney traded his rights to North Melbourne as the steak knives on the John Longmire deal.

North: and how about that young Wagga kid that's currently playing for North Adelaide, that you have the rights to. Can we have him as well?
Sydney: fair enough, you can have him too if you tip in a little bit extra to the Longmire deal we've already nutted out.

Longmire was never Riverina, he came from the Murray area

Really....If a Riverina born player who was playing since he was 13 in adelaide.... would we have dibs...
Im happy to be corrected but that is a bit ......odd

Longmire was never Riverina, he came from the Murray area

Last time I looked Corowa was in NSW and given he played for the Corowa-Rutherglen Kangaroos, and was originally from Albury, I'm pretty confident he's a NSW product. It still doesn't take away the fact that Wagga, where Carey is from is Riverina. Both Longmire and Carey were zoned to Sydney which is why they could be traded by Sydney to North without going through the draft.

NEXT?

Last time I looked Corowa was in NSW and given he played for the Corowa-Rutherglen Kangaroos, and was originally from Albury, I'm pretty confident he's a NSW product. It still doesn't take away the fact that Wagga, where Carey is from is Riverina. Both Longmire and Carey were zoned to Sydney which is why they could be traded by Sydney to North without going through the draft.

NEXT?

I think your right, Corowa is not Riverina.

Albury is not Riverina either for that matter. There would be a local war at the very suggestion.

Its like saying Melbourne is part of NSW!!!! Some have NFI!!!

Really....If a Riverina born player who was playing since he was 13 in adelaide.... would we have dibs...
Im happy to be corrected but that is a bit ......odd

Rules have changed a bit but he was definitely zoned to Sydney at the time. And who knows, under the new rules he might not have had to move to Adelaide to play football, what with the academies and all, identifying him and giving him the development he sought so far from home.

Rules have changed a bit but he was definitely zoned to Sydney at the time. And who knows, under the new rules he might not have had to move to Adelaide to play football, what with the academies and all, identifying him and giving him the development he sought so far from home.
Cheers...Think he moved to adelaide for family (dysfunctional) reasons not to play footy im sure the rules are different now..I will admit little knowledge on the old zoning rules but even given the move to a more national game and the codes wish to expand in NSW I would still think if a player had been playing in SA since he was 13 he would be zoned a SA product. We live & learn

[Q
Yep an hour. In which time you were calling people names and demanding they use google.

So no list of names?

How sad....
Could have done it yourself but for your benefit

Riverina[edit]
Australian Football was introduced to the Riverina region of New South Wales in Wagga Wagga in 1881 with a match between sides from Wagga Wagga and Albury. Subsequently, a local competition formed in 1884 around Wagga Wagga. The league went through many incarnations including the Murrumbidgee District Football Association (1897), Wagga United Football Association (1898–1921), Riverina Mainline Competition (1922–24), Rock and District Association (1925–1926), Wagga and District Association (1926), Wagga Football Association (1928–1957).

In these early days, the league produced champion players including Haydn Bunton, Sr..

The South Western District Football League commenced in 1894 and the Farrer Football League commenced in 1957.

During the 1970s, the region produced many great footballers including the famous Daniher family, Terry Daniher, Neale Daniher, Anthony Daniher and Chris Daniher.

In 1982, at the instigation of the Victorian Country Football League (who had jurisdiction over the area at the time), the South Western District Football League, theFarrer Football League and the Central Riverina Football League were all combined into the Riverina Football League and the Riverina District Football League. The district league reverted to the Farrer Football League in 1985.

In 1995, these two leagues came under one umbrella of the Murrumbidgee Valley Australian Football Association.

Further south towards the Murray River, the Ovens & Murray Football League including teams from Albury formed as the Ovens & Murray Football Association in the early 1900s. Clubs also formed in the smaller towns around 1900 and played ad hoc fixtures against each other, as well as organising formal competitions during the 1900s and 1910s in southern Riverina such as the Coreen & District Football League (formed as the Coreen Football Association), the Hume Football League and the Albury & District Football League. At the conclusion of the 2007 season the Coreen league was disbanded with most of its clubs joining the Hume league for the 2008 season.

In the modern era, the Riverina has produced a wealth of players for the VFL/AFL, including champion players including Wayne Carey, Paul Kelly, Dennis Carroll,John Longmire, Leo Barry, Shane Crawford and Brett Kirk. Some other players from the region to have played AFL level football include Isaac Smith (footballer),Luke Breust, Zac Williams, Dean Terlich and Sam Rowe.

Give up then, 20 years to be a local in Australia, thats always been the cultural rule!!! How the hell could McPerson Oval make Carey seriously??

Fact is South Australia made Carey, not Riverina!!

Did I say they "made him"? I stated where he is from and where he played his first games and when someone spends the first 13 years of their life I say they are from that state you don't agree fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[Q

Riverina[edit]
Australian Football was introduced to the Riverina region of New South Wales in Wagga Wagga in 1881 with a match between sides from Wagga Wagga and Albury. Subsequently, a local competition formed in 1884 around Wagga Wagga. The league went through many incarnations including the Murrumbidgee District Football Association (1897), Wagga United Football Association (1898–1921), Riverina Mainline Competition (1922–24), Rock and District Association (1925–1926), Wagga and District Association (1926), Wagga Football Association (1928–1957).

In these early days, the league produced champion players including Haydn Bunton, Sr..

The South Western District Football League commenced in 1894 and the Farrer Football League commenced in 1957.

During the 1970s, the region produced many great footballers including the famous Daniher family, Terry Daniher, Neale Daniher, Anthony Daniher and Chris Daniher.

In 1982, at the instigation of the Victorian Country Football League (who had jurisdiction over the area at the time), the South Western District Football League, theFarrer Football League and the Central Riverina Football League were all combined into the Riverina Football League and the Riverina District Football League. The district league reverted to the Farrer Football League in 1985.

In 1995, these two leagues came under one umbrella of the Murrumbidgee Valley Australian Football Association.

Further south towards the Murray River, the Ovens & Murray Football League including teams from Albury formed as the Ovens & Murray Football Association in the early 1900s. Clubs also formed in the smaller towns around 1900 and played ad hoc fixtures against each other, as well as organising formal competitions during the 1900s and 1910s in southern Riverina such as the Coreen & District Football League (formed as the Coreen Football Association), the Hume Football League and the Albury & District Football League. At the conclusion of the 2007 season the Coreen league was disbanded with most of its clubs joining the Hume league for the 2008 season.

In the modern era, the Riverina has produced a wealth of players for the VFL/AFL, including champion players including Wayne Carey, Paul Kelly, Dennis Carroll,John Longmire, Leo Barry, Shane Crawford and Brett Kirk. Some other players from the region to have played AFL level football include Isaac Smith (footballer),Luke Breust, Zac Williams, Dean Terlich and Sam Rowe.

So cant list names for the last 20 years. Just wikipedia the hostory of footy?

No names?

[Q

Riverina[edit]

Riverina is not Ovens and Murray and of story. Only part of it could be classified as Riverina. The Murray region involving Albury is totally separate league and culture.

If Carey was in Ovens and Murray he would not need to go to S.A. So you can take out Longmire, Crawford, Barry and Kirk for starters. Sam Rowe was born in Wodonga in Victoria FFS!!! Terlich, seems to be Murray or even SA

Ungarie is not Riverina either, its Central West. Next thing people will be saying Bathurst is Riverina, this has become a joke!!!

Last edited:
Did I say they "made him"? I stated where he is from and where he played his first games and when someone spends the first 13 years of their life I say they are from that state you don't agree fine.

Thats the whole point of GWS and the academy, to get Riverina to make players when they have not compared to SA with Carey and others like Victoria and the Murray area using private Victorian schools and their footy development programs!!

I think we all acknowledge what we received was generous from the AFL.

Not once have we bitched, moaned, put our hand our for more. We were given what we were given without any negotiations from our end.

The AFL wanted to tap into the NSW market and gave their new baby a nice little nest egg to play with. We initially listed and drafted elite junior talent. GWS have been savvy with the older players we brought in. We were willing to trade picks for established players. No players and/or club wanted to play with us so we stock-piled young talent. So instead of having 5-10 players who should have been phasing themselves out over the next couple years, those players who were drafted are instead now coming into their prime. Some don't get opportunities, or want to leave for brighter lights, and we get high draft picks back in fair and equitable trades. No one whinges when we lose player, yet cry poor us when GWS have a raft of high draft picks each year. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

This group of players dealt with 4 years of absolute drubbings, took it on-board and made themselves better for it, rather than turn themselves into a losing-culture club (ala Melbourne, Richmond). The wolves howled for the first three years because GWS were so awful and needed to be booted out diluting talent across the competition. Now we are the big bad wolf (that hasn't even won a prelim final).

The club and players, and supporters for that fact, have grown a culture so strongly knit that they are willing to forego lucrative contracts elsewhere for the ultimate success. Sure GWS were handed some nice things, but it is what they as a club, and we who support them, have done to make it a success (up to this point). Look at the Suns for point of reference of how not to do it. Just because you have access to talent doesn't mean squat. Any player who gets drafted has elite talent. It is how they use it and how it is developed that is key. High draft picks are nice but have all those high picks and priority picks helped the likes of Melbourne, Carlton etc over the last 15 years.

We the supporters, have been grateful of an opportunity to have a team to follow that are closer to us (we aren't all so privileged to have a club close by). They have engaged with community and we have embraced them through thin and now hopefully thick. And I hope we get plenty of band wagoners. Don't tell me the Dogs didn't love and won't love all the band wagoners that have or are about to jump on-board.

So yes, what we got was generous, but it is what we have done that has made it count. Stop your moaning on this board. We're sick of it.

And for what it is worth, I think our academy zone should exclude towns on the Murray and only include players from Riverina, Farrer, Northern Riverina, Hume, Canberra leagues and the Western Sydney clubs we are linked to. I also believe the academy players should not be available to us if they attend Victorian boarding schools prior to year 11 and that they need to be in the academy for at least 2-3 years.

I look forward to seeing what the other clubs are doing with their current indigenous and multicultural academies. I am sure there will be a sharp intake of talented footballers who get scholarships at the Grammar schools in Melbourne...

Rant over.

what ban the biggest club in the land after we both have a good trading enviroment together hell no way......................Well lets us take Hoskin Elliott and Stewart first then maybe next year we can deal on Paton who will want to come back to Victoria......Alright then you can ban us........Can we have Heath Shaw back next year too please ?

just back from the future lads...Grand final next year 2017 is GWS vs Collingwood cant tell you who won have to wait and see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back