Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Truckosaurus

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 19, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think that's the sports journalism equivalent of "Beloved [TV show] Actor Dies" with a photo of the main character, when the deceased is the extra just visible behind them who you'd never heard of. Just need to change the title to something more clickbaity like "Unbelievable End to Footy Game"

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
Newcastle
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, WHam, Cronulla
Dal Santo commentary in the first quarter of North suns today, talking about hair styles, says cornroles instead of cornrows, before being corrected.
At the end of the game he was talking about a Roos player and said "he's got some things to work on such as percentage of ground on time".

MJG14

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team
A report on Channel Seven said that "Daniel Motlop has running repairs" when referring to Steven Motlop.

Daniel only retired about 10 years ago.

MisterMarcus

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Just a general one....I've really only just noticed how clickbaity the Foxsports live match reports have become in recent times, complete with scare quotes and everything.....

"Shocking" Blues are "running scared" due to "momentous" Adelaide comeback.

It's even more ridiculous when the headline is about 30 minutes behind the game. So all the "clickbait""headline quotes" are out of date.

MauroFogheri

Fill the crucible
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not merely confined to sports but the use of "regardless of" instead of "irrespective of"...not necessarily wrong, but a sign the user lacks a thorough education :huh:

Bristol

Team Captain
Feb 22, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Not merely confined to sports but the use of "regardless of" instead of "irrespective of"...not necessarily wrong, but a sign the user lacks a thorough education :huh:
With respect, that's a bit pompous. Fine lines between regardless and irrespective. There are slight differences in their meanings but in most situations you could probably use either. There are far worse language crimes to commit; this is just nit-picking and that's a needless and unfair assumption to make.

MauroFogheri

Fill the crucible
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
With respect, that's a bit pompous. Fine lines between regardless and irrespective. There are slight differences in their meanings but in most situations you could probably use either. There are far worse language crimes to commit; this is just nit-picking and that's a needless and unfair assumption to make.
Yeah I know, but it's inevitable with a column like this one. The little things irk me; like SEN is running an ad where Brett Phillips is going on about a player being a constant tennis bridesmaid - but we are left guessing as to who he is talking about. Just sloppy production. And also on SEN, they played for nearly the entire year Garry Lyon advertising a dual-cab thing they were giving away; he put a very heavy emphasis on "TWO!! wheel drive" . In that sector of the market, a "FOUR!! wheel drive will always be the more desirable and expensive. Again, not wrong but just poorly done

Dogs_R_Us

Space Traveller
May 3, 2001
Sirius - the Dogstar
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As long as they don’t say irregardless

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United
one i can't stand is "takes the chocolates." not even sure why, just makes me cringe
Couldn't agree more. I'd put 'the big dance' in the same category. Didn't mind it until it was repeated over and over again in Sam Mitchell's book. Can't stand it now. The chocolates one or 'get the chockies' is a shocker though.

peternorth

May 6, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Couldn't agree more. I'd put 'the big dance' in the same category. Didn't mind it until it was repeated over and over again in Sam Mitchell's book. Can't stand it now. The chocolates one or 'get the chockies' is a shocker though.
in speech you could perhaps be forgiven for using and overusing the chocolates term, but in a book??? surely publishers et al identified the high frequency and changed the term accordingly in parts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad