Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a sad time. I fear the horse has well and truly bolted on the new tautology, "RAT test". :grinv1: Yes, folks, we've got another "PIN number" or "ATM machine" scourge that'll probably be with us for years
You cannot expect the masses to understand acronyms.
These are people who "would of" known better only if they applied a degree of intelligence to the topic.

They have spent their life with a refusal to apply any intelligence to the language they use and accept.

Tom Elliot said on radio a few weeks ago that he argued with a couple of young people at the station who were adamant that "would of" and "could of", etc, is correct. FMD.
I correct my son and daughter when they text “could of”, they tell me to stop being a “boring old fart”.

Tom Elliot said on radio a few weeks ago that he argued with a couple of young people at the station who were adamant that "would of" and "could of", etc, is correct. FMD.
If enough people use it and it’s repeated by the ensuing generation, it will come to be acceptable 🙁.

Just like “vunnerable” is pronounced by quite well-educated people.

And “congratulations” is now “congradulations” - you hear it all the time. I’ve even seen it written on a greeting card our office was presenting to a colleague.

Most people don’t know the difference between “lie” and “lay”, either. “I was laying on the bed” - what, laying eggs?

The one that makes me laugh is “route” - “root” 😮 is now “rowt”. How rude! They haven’t yet rewritten the lyrics to “Route 66” but maybe that will come 😁.

/You got me started, sorry :$

If enough people use it and it’s repeated by the ensuing generation, it will come to be acceptable 🙁.

Just like “vunnerable” is pronounced by quite well-educated people.

And “congratulations” is now “congradulations” - you hear it all the time. I’ve even seen it written on a greeting card our office was presenting to a colleague.

Most people don’t know the difference between “lie” and “lay”, either. “I was laying on the bed” - what, laying eggs?

The one that makes me laugh is “route” - “root” 😮 is now “rowt”. How rude! They haven’t yet rewritten the lyrics to “Route 66” but maybe that will come 😁.

/You got me started, sorry :$
Well language is in a constant state of change.
If you investigate the derivation of many words you find they have come from the accepted usage of mispronunciation.

Problem us old farts have is we find it hard to accept because it is just lazy with no understanding of detail.

I guess it doesn't really influence our day to day life so we let it slide.

We just have the satisfaction that we know we are right even if they don't care.

Well language is in a constant state of change.
If you investigate the derivation of many words you find they have come from the accepted usage of mispronunciation.

Problem us old farts have is we find it hard to accept because it is just lazy with no understanding of detail.

I guess it doesn't really influence our day to day life so we let it slide.

We just have the satisfaction that we know we are right even if they don't care.
Ye-es, but in a world full of uncertainty, it’s important to maintain as much continuity and stability with language as possible. Knowledge of language is invaluable. The modern trend seems to be to change meanings of words and to manipulate language in order to pursue a narrative… I’m thinking the media here, of course. Many people don’t read, which is a great pity.

Ye-es, but in a world full of uncertainty, it’s important to maintain as much continuity and stability with language as possible. Knowledge of language is invaluable. The modern trend seems to be to change meanings of words and to manipulate language in order to pursue a narrative… I’m thinking the media here, of course. Many people don’t read, which is a great pity.
A product of the information age. Technology has provided an abundance of information with a reduced understanding.

Comprehension of everything is low, so language is just heading towards the lowest common denominator where anything is accepted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll say it again: the real pandemic is the prevalence of inappropriate upward inflection, or, as the Yanks call it, "upspeak" or "uptalk". :grinv1:
FMD, it's excruciating.

My sister does it often and it annoys me.

Read a story in a UK newspaper quite a few years ago which said a lot of young English women were speaking with an upward inflection.
They blamed it on the popularity on British tv of Neighbours and Home and Away.
I think I've posted this on here before. There's an American voice coach who's prominent on Youtube, who also blames us for it, which annoys me, because there's no way it's more of an Aussie thing than it is an American thing.

Last edited:
I think I've posted this on here before. There's American voice coach who's prominent on Youtube, who also blames us for it, which annoys me, because there's no way it's more of an Aussie thing than it is an American thing.
I remember many years ago hearing that it was an Australian thing, and comedians sending us up. I’m thinking someone similar to Michael McIntyre but that style.

Whately doesn't say "Warne wore a helmet when trying to calm Bay 13" but instead says "Warne wore a helmet when trying to becalm Bay 13.." :rolleyes: Same with bloody Garry Lyon "If I may ask an ancillary question..." just say "follow-up"; economical, real-world

Whately doesn't say "Warne wore a helmet when trying to calm Bay 13" but instead says "Warne wore a helmet when trying to becalm Bay 13.." :rolleyes: Same with bloody Garry Lyon "If I may ask an ancillary question..." just say "follow-up"; economical, real-world

becalm
leave (a sailing ship) unable to move through lack of wind.

Not footy related in the slightest, but it made me laugh.

The Age has an article about the Montague Street bridge and why vehicles keep hitting it.

In the comments people were posting comments saying drivers should just pay attention.

Next comment, someone says "Exactly! It ain't rocket surgery"
I was under the impression people say that ironically/tongue in cheek.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carey bared his sole in Tuesday night’s episode, revealing his shame at suggestions he mentally abused partners in previous relationships.

I didn't see the episode, but I imagine it must have been strange seeing him show his foot to the SAS guy.

You might know that the “ancillary question” is a running joke with Wispy and Garry Loinchop. I dunno how it started; maybe one of them was trying to be fancy.
One that bugs me is “thus far”. It’s unnecessary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back