Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

What is with the millenial accent that is taking over in the commentary booth now?

The insertion of an elongated "ar" sound where it never used to be is driving me nuts.

It seemed to start with teenage girls imitating Californians, but now is spreading to males late 20s to late 30s.

"Back" becomes " barrrk"
"That" becomes "tharrrt"
"Zac" becomes "Zarrrc"

The complete opposite accent to this is Del Santo, but his "traditional" Australian accent is almost now a thing of the past.

What is with the millenial accent that is taking over in the commentary booth now?

The insertion of an elongated "ar" sound where it never used to be is driving me nuts.

It seemed to start with teenage girls imitating Californians, but now is spreading to males late 20s to late 30s.

"Back" becomes " barrrk"
"That" becomes "tharrrt"
"Zac" becomes "Zarrrc"

The complete opposite accent to this is Del Santo, but his "traditional" Australian accent is almost now a thing of the past.
i literally don't think I've ever heard an Australian pronounce these words how you're describing

also which millennials are in commentary boxes? Most commentators on TV are in their 40s-50s

i literally don't think I've ever heard an Australian pronounce these words how you're describing

also which millennials are in commentary boxes? Most commentators on TV are in their 40s-50s
They’ve pretty much always said Par-ki-starn, is that what you mean?

I've heard lots on millennials "tark lark thart". I went to uni about 10 years ago as a mature age student, and I noticed a bit, and sometimes they really turn it on. I was doing a group presentation with a couple of other students one day, and when one of my group started addressing the class, he started talking like Elle Macpherson. I thought for a second there was something wrong with him :grinv1:

I'd need to rewatch to check who (and the game doesn't deserve a rewatch) but one of the commentators in yesterday's Freo/Eagles game said that Connor West had been drafted out of the AFLW.

For the record, he was playing in the WAFL.

Tony Schibeci: "Dawn had the gazumption to steal that flag"

3aw newsreader pronounced "Buchanan" with a hard 'u', as in "but", and emphasised the first syllable: "John BUT-CH'n'n" :grinv1:
It’s odd how some fairly common words and names seem to have completely passed by many newsreaders/reporters who you expect to know better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ross Lyon just said “farcial” multiple times before Caro corrected him “farcical” on Footy Classified.
Cringe worthiest bit of television I’ve seen in a while.
I wanted him to stop and it got to the point where Caro had to actually say something.

Shoot me ffs

Has anyone noticed that in 2022 press conferences, every side has players that are now "plying his craft" and "getting to work".

"The reality is" (and hopefully this one dies a quick death this year) these phrases don't make a coach look any smarter.

Has anyone noticed that in 2022 press conferences, every side has players that are now "plying his craft" and "getting to work".

"The reality is" (and hopefully this one dies a quick death this year) these phrases don't make a coach look any smarter.

It’s in everyday corporate speak now

Was a bit distracted in the workshop but did Crash Craddock on SEN just say about the SCG wicket, "it needs a bit of a shave, it's just a nothing-burger..? :huh: I wonder what the pitches are like in Brazil?

Striker, is now a term that's being thrown around a lot particularly on SEN and Fox. I think they are referring to the players they used to as 'hybrid'.

Getting a lick of the icecream is still prevalent and sounds rank.

Striker, is now a term that's being thrown around a lot particularly on SEN and Fox. I think they are referring to the players they used to as 'hybrid'.

Getting a lick of the icecream is still prevalent and sounds rank.
"The new poster boys of the AFL are a player that we've termed 'the striker'. It's the big bodied midfielder that can win the ball, they're your best contest players and then they go forward."

nick R made up the term

Remove this Banner Ad

Back